Training To hell and back but we never actually left hell (Preseason thread)

tbf if we had a forward who could beat up on sh*t we may have pinched one of the Sydney & Freo games and played finals

Of course that is if we were getting the 2018 version and not the 2020 version
This is actually a pretty good point, a major part of the reason we made finals that year was because we were able to consistently beat the sides below us (except St Kilda), and Hogan was part of that. Helped that we doubled up against four sides out of the top 8.

Wasn’t going to help us against the better sides though so it’s much of a muchness. We actually ran the good sides closer this year even if we didn’t smash the bad ones in the same way.

That Doggies loss was also a huge waste for us last year, we let them back into the season with one quarter of appalling defence. More than Sydney/Freo that’s where we blew our finals hopes.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah come on guys he's gonna miss round 1/2 maybe, not out forever.

I agree schmuttt, he and Fritsch make our forward line to "mid sized" together. Neither are fast enough or desperate enough without the ball. 2018 Melksham would make a huge difference to us, unfortunately. 19/20 Melksham, well we may as well put a medium sized potplant out there and kick it on its head. Same result.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Far worse? We’ve lost Hogan, Kent, Frost, Tyson, Hannan, Vince, Pedersen, Lewis and OMac and Garlett (none of whom other than Hogan had particularly good years) and picked up May, Langdon, Brown, Tomlinson, Lockhart, Sparrow, Pickett, Rivers, Jackson and the new draftees. Seems like a net win to me. Not sure who of those 2018 players would consistently make us a better side now, and who you’d give up to get them back.

Have also cleared out dead weight like Balic, Bugg, JKH, McKenna, Spencer, Stretch, J Wagner and Ben Kennedy as well as your Mitch King types. I don’t know if I’d put any of our current players in that category.
Been reflecting on this comment while sitting on my patio.

In 2018 we made a prelim with Vince, Lewis and Bugg regularly snotting blokes. We may have replaced them (and a few others) with better players but those better players just don't smash campaigners.

The only person on on our list who genuinely hurts blokes is Stevie May but he cops a week every time the umps catch him sneezing in the wrong direction. He'd be deregistered if he took cheap shots like Lewis.

If our borderline best-22 players are struggling this is what they need to do.

Also I love Melksham. Will be best-22 by the end of the year- hopefully he captains us again too.

Been reflecting on this comment while sitting on my patio.

In 2018 we made a prelim with Vince, Lewis and Bugg regularly snotting blokes. We may have replaced them (and a few others) with better players but those better players just don't smash campaigners.

The only person on on our list who genuinely hurts blokes is Stevie May but he cops a week every time the umps catch him sneezing in the wrong direction. He'd be deregistered if he took cheap shots like Lewis.

If our borderline best-22 players are struggling this is what they need to do.

Also I love Melksham. Will be best-22 by the end of the year- hopefully he captains us again too.
The Bugg, Lewis and Vince suspensions were in 2017 and we didn’t make finals that year. We lost three consecutive games when Lewis was suspended and lost both the games Bugg and Vince were suspended in.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
The Bugg, Lewis and Vince suspensions were in 2017 and we didn’t make finals that year. We lost three consecutive games when Lewis was suspended and lost both the games Bugg and Vince were suspended in.
I hate when facts get in the way of my stories.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have been doing my usual preseason routine of watching only replays where we played well to drive up unrealistic expectations. Random player thoughts from this exercise.
Clarrie really is a good player
Petracca is even better
May is a rock
Rivers will be a gun
Kossie may just have it
Viney gets caught too often and may not be loved by peers (did he really poll higher than Clarrie!)
Lever needs to concentrate more on eliminating goal conceding brain lapses than on pseudo intellectual utterances
AVB may be done
Max is a ruck
Tomlinson did more than I thought
Melksham - see AVB
Run Ed Run, see Ed run
Salem is important (the letter “r” is vital)
Spargo showed a bit
Gus I can’t figure out
Oskar will be interesting
Tom hopefully gets a reboot - foot pun?
Joel Smith should not play back
Harmes supports the Dees and sometimes plays for them
Jones used to play for the Dees

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
So does anyone know when the Richmond game is? Has this been announced?

Don't see why it wouldn't be ANZAC Day Eve. It's a Saturday night so they don't even have to stuff around with fixturing to make it happen.

I'm more interested in crowd announcements for Round 1 & 2. Getting to the MCG against Freo should be fine regardless of capacity, but Round 2 at Marvel against the Saints at 50% capacity could easily sell out.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't see why it wouldn't be ANZAC Day Eve. It's a Saturday night so they don't even have to stuff around with fixturing to make it happen.

I'm more interested in crowd announcements for Round 1 & 2. Getting to the MCG against Freo should be fine regardless of capacity, but Round 2 at Marvel against the Saints at 50% capacity could easily sell out.
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant the pre season game. I think we play them
Before the dogs.

I wouldn’t hold your breath re: those two fixtures going ahead exactly as scheduled.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant the pre season game. I think we play them
Before the dogs.
Richmond then dogs preseason has a disturbingly 2019 vibe to it

R23 2019 Melksham and Fritsch had nine scoring shots between them. I remember they did something similar in a preseason game last year and looked like a deadly pairing.

IIRC both games were in Tassie...do we need to relocate?

Back