Strategy "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often" - Winston Churchill

Remove this Banner Ad

So what will we do to evolve and improve further in 2020?
We all saw our innovative shift from 2017 - smaller forward line with one tall - quick ball movement with surge forward handballing - one ruck only - immense forward pressure.
Then this year we evolved somewhat, second tall target forward and also ended up with 2 rucks for the final month = success.

IMO it's all about not trying to invent a style of play and then adapting the list to suit, rather it's about understanding the strengths within the squad and maximising those with the way we play.

What are our untapped areas of strength to develop?
I would like to see us direct a greater % of our offence through our highly skilled and lightning quick squad of smalls - Bolton, Stack, Castagna, Rioli with Sheds as well.

Not sure if any other team has this much fire power amongst their half-forward / mids.

Thoughts?

As long as we retain the "connection" we have then we can evolve any way we wish to... the talent is there and so is the list balance.
We have height, strength, experience, pace and skill.
We have untapped potential in Stack, Ross, Collier-Dawkins, Turner, Coleman-Jones, Pickett, Balta and others.

How Stack and Bolton evolve could shape us. Balta could be a weapon further along.
I thought about including Balta.
Certainly has pace but is a little klunky with his ball movement and decision making still - needs another 12 months I reckon.

So what will we do to evolve and improve further in 2020?
We all saw our innovative shift from 2017 - smaller forward line with one tall - quick ball movement with surge forward handballing - one ruck only - immense forward pressure.
Then this year we evolved somewhat, second tall target forward and also ended up with 2 rucks for the final month = success.

IMO it's all about not trying to invent a style of play and then adapting the list to suit, rather it's about understanding the strengths within the squad and maximising those with the way we play.

What are our untapped areas of strength to develop?
I would like to see us direct a greater % of our offence through our highly skilled and lightning quick squad of smalls - Bolton, Stack, Castagna, Rioli with Sheds as well.

Not sure if any other team has this much fire power amongst their half-forward / mids.

Thoughts?
I think you're understating how much of an effect the 'second tall target' has had, particularly with the introduction of the 666 rule. What those 2 things have done is to straighten us up, as evidenced by our increased goal accuracy during the year and more particularly when JR8 was back combined with using Dusty as the 'striker'. 18.4 in the QF, who would have thought that would be our scoreline in a high intensity final? Not me!

*edit....

331.308 in 2017 as we got our 'chaos' game going
332.304 in 2018 dominant side for the whole year
322.271 in 2019 highest amount of goals for over the year in a historically low scoring year

Oh, if we could get one bloke in particular to kick straight then those figures would be a fair bit better, said player kicked 27.28 for the year.

Last edited:
Oh, if we could get one bloke in particular to kick straight then those figures would be a fair bit better, said player kicked 27.28 for the year.

Must have rewatched the GF a dozen times now and I still let out an exasperated "oh George!" every time he misses one. Reckon he should just keep running towards goal, dodging whoever he needs to until he is in the goal square in point blank range. He is fast and evasive enough.

Must have rewatched the GF a dozen times now and I still let out an exasperated "oh George!" every time he misses one. Reckon he should just keep running towards goal, dodging whoever he needs to until he is in the goal square in point blank range. He is fast and evasive enough.
We can laugh about it now, but in a close game I would be spewing!

There seems to be a global trend in possession based ball sports to ramp up pressure. Soccer (especially) and rugby are pressing much higher up the park and evolving strategies to do this more effectively.

To me this is where we can evolve further. This front half pressure is in its infancy in the AFL and has a fair deal of room to improve. Our current structure is different to 2017, but we seemed to be happier to concede possession in less dangerous areas this year and aim to create problems on faster turnovers. Losing clearance and first use stats this year didn’t seem to hurt us. However I thought too often this resulted in stoppages - ok in itself as it’s not dangerous - but I think our structure during turnovers can be improved and we can be more damaging and cleaner on the burst. This is structure and personnel driven - and we have some young elite ball users and decision makers who will ensure we progress here.

I like the idea from soccer (and adapted by Bomber Thompson) that for 99% of a game, a player is not in possession. We haven’t quite nailed our structure off the ball and how to press en masse. There’s room to improve. At present pressure is dominating skill in the AFL, but when combined (like the current Liverpool team in the EPL - and this from a Gooner), it is riveting.

There seems to be a global trend in possession based ball sports to ramp up pressure. Soccer (especially) and rugby are pressing much higher up the park and evolving strategies to do this more effectively.

To me this is where we can evolve further. This front half pressure is in its infancy in the AFL and has a fair deal of room to improve. Our current structure is different to 2017, but we seemed to be happier to concede possession in less dangerous areas this year and aim to create problems on faster turnovers. Losing clearance and first use stats this year didn’t seem to hurt us. However I thought too often this resulted in stoppages - ok in itself as it’s not dangerous - but I think our structure during turnovers can be improved and we can be more damaging and cleaner on the burst. This is structure and personnel driven - and we have some young elite ball users and decision makers who will ensure we progress here.

I like the idea from soccer (and adapted by Bomber Thompson) that for 99% of a game, a player is not in possession. We haven’t quite nailed our structure off the ball and how to press en masse. There’s room to improve. At present pressure is dominating skill in the AFL, but when combined (like the current Liverpool team in the EPL - and this from a Gooner), it is riveting.
And I'd be very surprised if we don't take players in this years draft that are speed and endurance demons

Gegenpressing :moustache:

Not necessarily a change in the 'game plan', but what I'd like to see is another step taken in the transition from Rance, Riewoldt, Cotch and Dusty to whatever comes next.

Injuries and a cautious approach meant Rance, Riewoldt and Cotch played less than any season in a decade. I reckon Dusty spent more time forward (but have no stats to confirm or deny). It worked out okay.

With Riewoldt and Dusty, I reckon their roles should just keep evolving in the same direction they have been. Jack plays high or decoy mostly and gets dangerous when the match-up on Timmy Lunch isn't going our way. Dusty plays deep a little more.

Cotch's role really has changed plenty in the past five years. I got a DVD set of classic Richmond games as a gift, and it includes the 2014 game vs the Bulldogs. Cotch plays as dominant a game as I've seen from a Richmond player. He plays like Dusty! Plenty of time in the goalsquare, one on one, making defenders look stupid. He doesn't play that way now. His continually making his job more about bringing others into the game. If the change continues in the same direction, I'd be happy. Great opportunity for Graham, Ross and maybe even RCD to hone their inside game next to one of the better inside mids in the comp.

Which leaves the larger problem of what to do with Rance? What will be his strengths now? Has he lost any pace? Personally, I reckon we've seen peak Rance a few seasons ago. Teams have figured out him out a little bit, especially one on one against the gorillas. I'd be tempted to play him higher and use him more like Vlastuin. He'd make a fair upgrade on Broad.

Not necessarily a change in the 'game plan', but what I'd like to see is another step taken in the transition from Rance, Riewoldt, Cotch and Dusty to whatever comes next.

Injuries and a cautious approach meant Rance, Riewoldt and Cotch played less than any season in a decade. I reckon Dusty spent more time forward (but have no stats to confirm or deny). It worked out okay.

With Riewoldt and Dusty, I reckon their roles should just keep evolving in the same direction they have been. Jack plays high or decoy mostly and gets dangerous when the match-up on Timmy Lunch isn't going our way. Dusty plays deep a little more.

Cotch's role really has changed plenty in the past five years. I got a DVD set of classic Richmond games as a gift, and it includes the 2014 game vs the Bulldogs. Cotch plays as dominant a game as I've seen from a Richmond player. He plays like Dusty! Plenty of time in the goalsquare, one on one, making defenders look stupid. He doesn't play that way now. His continually making his job more about bringing others into the game. If the change continues in the same direction, I'd be happy. Great opportunity for Graham, Ross and maybe even RCD to hone their inside game next to one of the better inside mids in the comp.

Which leaves the larger problem of what to do with Rance? What will be his strengths now? Has he lost any pace? Personally, I reckon we've seen peak Rance a few seasons ago. Teams have figured out him out a little bit, especially one on one against the gorillas. I'd be tempted to play him higher and use him more like Vlastuin. He'd make a fair upgrade on Broad.
Good post... :thumbsu:
Reckon 'peak' Cotch, Rance and JR8 has gone by...but I'm hoping their combined experience/talents and 'smarts' is enough to bring home the 2020 B2B GF!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've floated this previously, but I think we're going to see our side take the next step in becoming a more aggressive run and gun side with a bigger focus on players being able to play multiple roles within games.

IMO over the next couple of years I believe the foundation of our side will be 5 genuine talls with 2 KPD, 1 genuine ruck, 1 ruck/forward & 1 KPF. I think this is why we've seen the likes of CCJ Chol Balta Miller Garthwaite all playing multiple positions at VFL level as they develop their games so that we can start to integrate them into the side as Rance Riewoldt Astbury come towards the end of their careers.

Not only that but we've seen a lot of our small/medium sized players being sent back to the VFL to learn new positions or tried in secondary positions in the AFL/VFL when we've had games well in hand and can afford to have a look at how they perform. Some noticeable players to have done this include Caddy Stack Baker Short Castagna Rioli Bolton KMac Naish & Markov. There have been different levels of success with these moves, but I think it shows a hint of what the coaches have in mind for the next generation Richmond side.

I've floated this previously, but I think we're going to see our side take the next step in becoming a more aggressive run and gun side with a bigger focus on players being able to play multiple roles within games.

IMO over the next couple of years I believe the foundation of our side will be 5 genuine talls with 2 KPD, 1 genuine ruck, 1 ruck/forward & 1 KPF. I think this is why we've seen the likes of CCJ Chol Balta Miller Garthwaite all playing multiple positions at VFL level as they develop their games so that we can start to integrate them into the side as Rance Riewoldt Astbury come towards the end of their careers.

Not only that but we've seen a lot of our small/medium sized players being sent back to the VFL to learn new positions or tried in secondary positions in the AFL/VFL when we've had games well in hand and can afford to have a look at how they perform. Some noticeable players to have done this include Caddy Stack Baker Short Castagna Rioli Bolton KMac Naish & Markov. There have been different levels of success with these moves, but I think it shows a hint of what the coaches have in mind for the next generation Richmond side.

Removing Ellis helps with this.

What is Bolton's ceiling IYO? For me he has highest potential of a young tiger that I can remember.

Will be a genuine A grader IMO

almost unlimited potential, has all the tools; who knows how good he will end up but huge ceiling and already pretty handy

Stack and Balta have ridiculous upside too but again who knows who good they end up

Its a valid point though removing an outside winger than cant play forward or back for a Edwards, Lambert, Bolton and adding a Balta, Stack etc. type will add to the flexibility of the side significantly imo
Ellis is a premiership backman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back