Strategy "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often" - Winston Churchill

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 776707

But he was carri.....
But he played poorl................

he was dire in the gf, too IMO

however thats not the point, the point is he going adds a lot of flexibility (imo)

Stack, for example, is a better forward/back/mid option where as your soulmate can only play one role and questionable about how good he does it

Ellis is a premiership

x2

you sure he was playing in thebackline?

7th defender / defensive wing maybe

however thats not the point, the point is he going adds a lot of flexibility (imo)

Stack, for example, is a better forward/back/mid option where as your soulmate can only play one role and questionable about how good he does it

x2

So you suggest Ellis played defensive wing/7th defender but added no flexibility

I’m interested to see how the backline evolves with 2 All-Australian full-backs in the one team, and how oppo coaches deal with it.

With our midfield depth I expect Dusty to spend a lot of time forward next year, could even win the Coleman...

6-6-6 has meant we now play 2 rucks with direct play out of the middle. Soldo's tapwork has been instrumental in that change, and the presence of Bolton and Pickett there help immensely with their ability to weave through traffic.

So really just an evolution of late 2019 Richmond, but I’m sure injuries will force personnel changes which may once again reveal new avenues to goal.

I’m interested to see how the backline evolves with 2 All-Australian full-backs in the one team, and how oppo coaches deal with it.

With our midfield depth I expect Dusty to spend a lot of time forward next year, could even win the Coleman...

6-6-6 has meant we now play 2 rucks with direct play out of the middle. Soldo's tapwork has been instrumental in that change, and the presence of Bolton and Pickett there help immensely with their ability to weave through traffic.

So really just an evolution of late 2019 Richmond, but I’m sure injuries will force personnel changes which may once again reveal new avenues to goal.
I think the evolution of "late 2019" Richmond will see a continuance of how successful our structures were. We absolutely dominated since the Bye.

In the last 9 games, which was when we had the combo of Lunch, JR8 and Dusty playing together, those 3 combined for 69.27 (Dusty @ 19.4) at an average of 49 pts/game
Our structure limited the oppos to an average of 58.5 pts/game.

I find it staggering that 2 forwards and a resting mid could only be outscored by 9.5 pts/game by the entire opposing team ( if you take out the WC game then the diff is under 5.4 pts/game). This is not an 'outlier' sample, it's a 9 game sample.

You would think with the GOAT coming back that our defence might be even stingier. A full pre season for Tim Lunch, a fit JR8 and a fired up Dusty might lead to an even higher score kicked.

Last edited:
I think the evolution of "late 2019" Richmond will see a continuance of how successful our structures were. We absolutely dominated since the Bye.

In the last 9 games, which was when we had the combo of Lunch, JR8 and Dusty playing together, those 3 combined for 69.27 (Dusty @ 19.4) at an average of 49 pts/game
Our structure limited the oppos to an average of 58.5 pts/game.

I find it staggering that 2 forwards and a resting mid could only be outscored by 9.5 pts/game by the entire opposing team. This is not an 'outlier' sample, it's a 9 game sample.

You would think with the GOAT coming back that our defence might be even stingier. A full pre season for Tim Lunch, a fit JR8 and a fired up Dusty might lead to an even higher score kicked.
Also a fit and firing JGraham trying to get back in...
Also a fit and firing SStack trying to get back in...
Also a fit and firing Pickett trying to hold his spot...
Also a fit and firing Higgo trying to get back in...
Also a fit and firing Ross trying to get back in...
Also a fit and firing CCJ trying to get in...just for starters! 👍:p👍

How we evolve 2020 will depend on countering what the oppo come up with imo. Stick with the current basics of pressure speed oppo turnover and swarm, then keep an open mind for tweaks to deal with new challenges. From 2019 experience maybe dont wait for injuries to force playing the inexperienced. Keep rotating them through for depth whilst managing niggles. This also adds to lessons learnt 2018 in that its a marathon not a sprint. Also from 2019 experience keep being prepared to teach players a different role if required for team balance.

Plus Lynch with a full pre season is too scary to think about.😮

x2

Yes he was one of our seven defenders in 2017.

None of our players was dire in either grand final. Ellis was superb in this year's prelim, even when we were down.

Since the big changes to the assistant coaching roles at the end of 2016 we have made slight changes each year, some forced - Rutten and now Caracella which in turn create more change within the stable structure. With every change, no matter how seemingly small, it takes some time of adjustment to incorporate the changes into the group. I remember seeing Dimma during a presser make mention of Adam Kingsley taking a bit of time to adapt to how Richmond do things. Craig McRae won't take the same time to adapt as he is already comfortable within our system and the players know and love him so the changes will be more subtle.

One of the things I love about our "Richmond Way" is how much the focus is on the strengths of our players and as the coaches continue that it will then continue to be reflected in the way the players themselves support each other, celebrating the successes and encouraging instead of blaming when something doesn't pan out. I fully expect that aspect of our game to continue and strengthen while other clubs try to emulate what our club is living.

As premiers and being the best team over the last 3 year period the opposition will be doing on rd of two things. They will either a) Trying to replicate what we have done and bring those strengths to their list/strategy or b) looking at our list/strategy and trying to find weaknesses to exploit and counter act it.

The way we should evolve is to think like the opposition on how we would exploit our weaknesses and make tweaks to our strategy so it is not a weakness.

"Swarm" - "surge" - "chaos"- "pressure" ....
Love it when our football is described using these words.

Would be an absolute nightmare to plan a strategy against this I would think.
Only possible way would be to totally hold possession and kick, mark, kick, mark the way forward. - Has only worked a couple of times really.
Problem is it only takes one small mistake and we pounce.

Just quietly...
I reckon Dimma must be licking his lips thinking about the composition of the Team and who misses out and making an assault on next year's B2B GF!
Balmey in the same boat i reckon...thinking about the same scenario...licking the 15th Monte Carlo crumbs from his lips at an exciting GF prospect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its time to get honest.

We have a lot of improvement in us.

Clearly we have weaknesses and areas that we can work on and develop.

We need to look at our forward line, midfield and backline in particular!!!

We have to look at ways of maximising Dusty and elongating his tenure as well as a number of our senior compatriots.

We are kidding ourselves if we do not think we have a lot to remedy!!

Clearly while very joyous the Grand Final margin was an aberration

Unlike other teams we have some obvious areas we can develop given we were outstanding in other areas.

I am, not talking about controlling the game more, making it more certain I am talking about our players within the team improving and playing better as a team. I do think our team needs to be more versatile though!!

Last edited:
Its time to get honest.

We have to look at ways of maximising Dusty and elongating his tenure as well as a number of our senior compatriots.

Unlike other teams we have some obvious areas we can develop given we were outstanding in other areas

Well if we're weak in defence, midfield and backline, then I guess the outstanding areas were those including boot studder, trainers and runners

Its time to get honest.

Unlike other teams we have some obvious areas we can develop given we were outstanding in other areas.

I am, not talking about controlling the game more, making it more certain I am talking about our players within the team improving and playing better as a team. I do think our team needs to be more versatile though!!

Any team has improvement were no differently.The backline is as strong as ever when you add Rance.Maybe get a couple more games in Garthwaite and Balta and Egg Smith is important.Rucks plenty improvement there and upside they a all challenging each other.Plenty of kids coming through thats the key for me what's underneath the list and what we seen overs years we aren't scared to throw them in the deep to.

With players being versatile you seen it this year Baker,Caddy and Stack and Balta at times.The key is to involve every year don't stay stactic tweake the game plan like the 2 rucks this year,the monster forward added and adding young talent etc.

Last edited:
Well if we're weak in defence, midfield and backline, then I guess the outstanding areas were those including boot studder, trainers and runners

I think Richmond needs to rise above this!!

We can do better.

The premiership was a beautiful thing but as a team we can do things better for sure and that is clearly the challenge!!

unbeaten season

chimps invincible s

One of the first things we need to address is ways to improve, New ideas, new perspectives without upsetting the applecart and killing bambi!!!

We need to refresh and seeks ways to improve otherwise 2020 will most likely be a very miserable season I would not be looking forward to!!

Will keeping the self lauding to a minimum we need to address what can we add to our game individually and as a team. Whats methods can we incorporate to make us a better team thats more formidable???

How do we approach improving our team without being repetitive and going over old ground? Where is the new voice, where is the inspiration who wants to elevate to the next level and broaden their horizons to seek out and achieve the next adventure??

I think one of the things we need to figure out is when to bring Rance back, what round and how does our team reform with his inclusion amongst others like Stack etc...

We need to avoid mentally a consolidation and embrace and reformative improvement outline in a progressive sense or transitional sense.

So its not reform but rather transform into a even better effort in how we play as a team and work together!!

We need a seed of imagination to open our minds to dare to dream and play even better, as a team, not in terms of results, but the way we help each other and put out in 2020!!

We need to embrace our creative sides without getting to loose in terms of letting things hang out as Dusty might say and that is the balance of the tightrope we need tread as we move on to our next adventure. New goals, bigger horizons as we expand and grow as a team with the experience!

Last edited:
Centre and stoppage clearances is starting point for mine.
We have not been great in this area but once we get the ball, (often from a forced turnover) we are very efficient at attacking and scoring.

Imagine if we could clear the ball from contest/stoppage a little better?

Centre and stoppage clearances is starting point for mine.
We have not been great in this area but once we get the ball, (often from a forced turnover) we are very efficient at attacking and scoring.

Imagine if we could clear the ball from contest/stoppage a little better?

I think this segment outlook is a little rigid and possibly destructive.

I think we need to look at our improvement holistically.

So while we might be able to improve the middle as you suggest will it detrimentally affect the other areas of our game like defense and attack including penetration?

I am not saying we cannot improve but its important to improve in the best way so our overall team effectiveness improves..

So I am not saying don't improve our middle. I am saying only improve our middle in such a way it helps our forwards and backline in the right way for and overall positive result and not simply rob Peter to pay Paul.

Initially, I thought maybe bringing in a few too many players in the 2019 draft might be an over reach but then again, in terms of new opportunities, added options and different ways we might be able to approach things it might be a net positive result.

Recruiters, coaches and others including the players will and should know what is best in their deepest part of their hearts

We will add inside contested beast mode. Can't see us losing a quarter of footy next year. Can't wait to hear the commentators suckin us off, "The premiers, this great richmond team"

I think this segment outlook is a little rigid and possibly destructive.

I think we need to look at our improvement holistically.

So while we might be able to improve the middle as you suggest will it detrimentally affect the other areas of our game like defense and attack including penetration?

I am not saying we cannot improve but its important to improve in the best way so our overall team effectiveness improves..

So I am not saying don't improve our middle. I am saying only improve our middle in such a way it helps our forwards and backline in the right way for and overall positive result and not simply rob Peter to pay Paul.

Initially, I thought maybe bringing in a few too many players in the 2019 draft might be an over reach but then again, in terms of new opportunities, added options and different ways we might be able to approach things it might be a net positive result.

Recruiters, coaches and others including the players will and should know what is best in their deepest part of their hearts
ok then........

ok then........

So I think we should not not improve the middle but do so in a way that considers the impact to the forward line and backline considering ball movement and other competitive elements.

Especially when considering many of our players cover quite a lot of ground these days, have multiple elements to they game and contribute in a number of different ways in different areas of the ground enhancing their team mates to improve our overall output and competitiveness.

Naturally I assume the coaches and stakeholders at the club already are covering this

Last edited:
So I think we should not not improve the middle but do so in a way that considers the impact to the forward line and backline considering ball movement and other competitive elements.

Especially when considering many of our players cover quite a lot of ground these days, have multiple elements to they game and contribute in a number of different ways in different areas of the ground enhancing their team mates to improve our overall output and competitiveness
No I understood what you were saying - clearly any improvement should not come at the detriment of other parts of our game that we are very good at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back