To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Will losing the QF improve our chances of winning the flag?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just try to win every game we are in That's all we can do. I think we are better positioned to beat Geelong now than in a GF. Let Freo/Melb/Sydney take care of Geelong. Hope Tigers get taken out though.

What a year, as Ralph Fines might say "Its like a fairytale"

Things have rolled our way and maybe that will continue long enough to snag a flag. Are we the best list? Lets make the irrelevent for the moment. Truth is the AFL finals series pays little heed to fairness. The fact that the top 4 teams start the finals with an equal chance of winning the flag is patently wrong in a comp that should reward finishing on top. Its been made worse since the finals week off came in which has taken away one of the advantages the QF winners had of a week off while others continued to play. Now the QF winner had a disadvantaged compared to their PF opponent going week off, week on week off while the other has the perfect prep of week off then 2 games leading into the PF. No coach would advocate 2 weeks off in 3 as a good prep for the PF.

Has this changed anything? Well in the 10 years prior to the chance 18 out out 20 (90%) of QF winners won their PF. Since the change 5 of 12 (41%) of QF winners have won their PF. Losing the QF wont help our chances of a good finals campaign but it might enhance the chance of actually winning the flag. My answer is yes

GC, please fix up the spelling mistake in the thread title. I’ll start thinking it’s a bad omen…😳

In all honesty our 2 worst matchups are Doggies and the Tiges.

Be cheering hard for Brisbane and Freo next weekend.
I am going to the Lions v Tigers up here and I will be cheering for the Lions too but I do not think they are up to it TBH, Freo will beat the Dogs over there no repeat of 2016.

I rate our chances highly if we get Adams and De Goey into the midfield and provided Cameron never hurt his knee much.

If we beat Geelong, wouldn’t it be a week off and then potentially playing Brisbane or Sydney at the ‘G in a Prelim?

I know Brisbane are no certainty to beat Richmond but they are a better side in Brisbane. Sydney should be easier in Melbourne too… moreso than playing Melbourne at the ‘G. Sign me up for that!

We need someone to knock Geelong out for us.
I think we can get them in the QF, but in the event we both make the Grand Final I'd have little confidence.

In terms of any chance at winning the Grand Final I the most important team we need to avoid playing is Melbourne. Regardless of our 3-0 run against them in the last two years, they will be a different beast to vs. in finals. Can't see us within 5 goals of them.

This is by far our best chance at winning the grand final, obviously slim chance of happening though:

Pies Def. Geel
Melb Def. Syd
Bris Def. Richmond
Freo Def. Dogs

Freo Def. Geel
Bris Def. Syd

Pies Def. Bris
Freo Def. Melb

Pies Def. Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ja, will you please fix the typo in the thread title. It’s driving me (more) bonkers?😵‍💫

Your wish, my lady.

Tidied up the punctuation as well because I'm a motivated self-starter who goes above and beyond. :innocent:

Your wish, my lady.

Tidied up the punctuation as well because I'm a motivated self-starter who goes above and beyond. :innocent:

A motivated self-starter who goes above and beyond would have fixed up Fiennes in his post as well.

Back