Opinion To those of you, who have seen North win flags...

Remove this Banner Ad

You prick! I still have nightmares of our 2 goal 11 behinds second quarter dominance for little reward and recall the halftime chatter of “we’ll be right, just have to kick straight. We are murdering them!”

F***!

Poor choice of words.

The plural or group noun for crows is a murder of crows.

Which I kind of wish I'd done.

I was watching that game here and at half time was fairly confident.

Then about thirty *en crows landed outside the house, right outside the room the telly is in, and started squawking like mad. I felt weirded out and a little bit sick. Should have taken a shotty to the campaigners but my missus likes crows.

All of you who think that game was weird ... That was very weird. I hated it, especially after so many behinds that could have won us the game had they been kicked straight.

Hey Boomer, I jumped on the North bandwagon in 1978. So i was a grown arse adult when we finally got the big one in 1996. Let me tell you, waiting that long made it a truly beautiful experience, and one I've never forgotten!

Don't give up hope. They aren't easy to win, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Only 2 teams have won more premierships than us since 1975!!!

Enjoy the journey and go roos :thumbsu:

I listened to the radio in 1977 but '78 was the first time it was televised in Hobart. So I was really pumped for that game. The earlier ones I spose weren't as real cos they weren't on tv. I couldn't see what was happening.

Have followed the Roos since early 70’s. Always think it’s hilarious when clowns that barrack for Blues or even Pies say, “North? Why would you follow them? They’re shithouse”
”yeah....how many flags have you seen with your “super club?“ I’ve seen 4”

Silence.

Funny story from 96 GF. My mate and I lined up most of the night, got tickets, row QQ on level 3 or something. Terrible seats. I rang the club and left a message for Greg Miller. To his credit he called me back. I said, “ Mate, for 20 years I’ve bought a membership, buy ya lame raffle tickets, do what I can, and we are sittin in friggin Egypt!”
GM said, “Wait! What??? Are you telling me you‘ve got seats? Mate, it’s a grand final, doesn’t matter where you sit“
I said, “perfect Greg. Where you sitting? I’ll swap seats with you” ......thinking, “I’m an outside chance to be movin the magnets for Dennis here.”
Miller hung up.
He was right though. Didn’t matter. A short sharp left arm schwatta jab to an on fire Troy Luff’s head, coupled with a brutal and manic David King slide into O‘Brien’s head from Sydney and we were away. Great times.
That was a magical team full of tough hombres that could seriously play.

You prick! I still have nightmares of our 2 goal 11 behinds second quarter dominance for little reward and recall the halftime chatter of “we’ll be right, just have to kick straight. We are murdering them!”

F***!

I could not believe what I saw that day. Truly shocking. And if I recall correctly Fridge Roberts played in short sleeves that game, which was I felt a bad omen.

We were by far the best team in 1998. Adelaide stole that flag, just as they did the previous year when they beat the Dogs in the PF. My late brother-in-law, a fanatical dogs fan, were sitting behind the goals at the Jolimont end, when Libba kicked that goal and celebrated, only for the goal umpire to rule it as a behind. I swear to this day that was a goal.

Adelaide stole their two flags.

F***!
My first ever game at the G was the 98 GF.

I was lobbed in amongst 10,000 rabid Adelaide supporters, not only an absolute heartbreaking game to be at, but to this day I still have no idea how I got out of there alive..

Day still burns in the mind.

From a teenage Ryz copping the middle finger salute from grown 'adult' crows supporters after the game, to the mountain of abuse copped on the way home from the station.

Naturally still haven't watched the game, so I might be completely wrong, but from my memory Fruity Allison kicked a goal on 1/2 or 3/4 time. Despite the goal and as Toes said the "we'll be right" mindset, there always felt this dark inevitability about the game.

If we get back to the big dance, would love to be able for us to smoke those campaigners.

From a teenage Ryz copping the middle finger salute from grown 'adult' crows supporters after the game, to the mountain of abuse copped on the way home from the station.

Naturally still haven't watched the game, so I might be completely wrong, but from my memory Fruity Allison kicked a goal on 1/2 or 3/4 time. Despite the goal and as Toes said the "we'll be right" mindset, there always felt this dark inevitability about the game.

If we get back to the big dance, would love to be able for us to smoke those campaigners.

We kicked 2. 18 to the city end of the ground. 😥😥😥

A mate of mine is the same boat. Too add insult his old man didn’t take him in ‘77 as he was too young but relented in ‘78!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I envy you lot. I was born mere months after ‘99, too young to remember Wayne Carey (who in my early childhood was past his prime and playing for the Crows anyway).

I know this is a very negative post and all, but I can’t help but feel saddened every time I watch one of our premiership victories. My Grandfather had to wait half his life to see us win a flag, my old man grew up far luckier, getting to watch the likes of Keith Grieg and Malcolm Blight.

For me personally, I have this gut feeling that I am going to have to wait many more years to see us win a flag.

As a teenager in the mid to late 80’s and into my 20’s in the early 90’s GF and premierships seemed like things other clubs did. We were mid table, good one week, bad the next. Pretty similar to now really and potentially mirroring your feelings now.

Then in ‘93 it turned. Immediately you could see this was different. The team was fearsome and exciting. Obviously there is no Carey this time around, but the youth is as good as I’ve seen since then. Rhyce seems to be uniting the club in a similar fashion.

As Russell Greene, the club runner at the time, said to me and my mates over a beer in the hotel bar after we got our hearts ripped out by Adelaide at Footy Park in ‘93....”don’t worry about this result, you blokes are in for some good times”

Then in ‘93 it turned. Immediately you could see this was different. The team was fearsome and exciting. Obviously there is no Carey this time around, but the youth is as good as I’ve seen since then. Rhyce seems to be uniting the club in a similar fashion.

I remember 1990 as when things started to get buzzing, but there were hiccups with the changing of the older guard & then Schimma ran off the rails.

I remember 1990 as when things started to get buzzing, but there were hiccups with the changing of the older guard & then Schimma ran off the rails.

There was definitely a buzz about in 90 & 91. 92 was a disappointment but if it didn’t happen would the rest of the 90’s?

But seriously I have been going to North games since 1976

Seen it all

But today I am more worried about us surviving as a Club.

Without those turnstiles clicking over we are in for a world of debt and pain.

(Lions suggesting a $5 million loss in 2020)

Yeap this is my worry also. Controversial statement but I think it is preferable to live life as normal and if we lose half a million people so be it. WHO estimates some years 650,000 die from the normal flue. I do not understand why we have to close the world down for this and send everyone out of work, into financial ruin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes indeed. Why does the name Doc Wheildon immediately spring to mind?

I was lucky enough to be there that day and it was truly great to witness first hand.

(Also saw, from a few metres away, Gary Ablett Senior pluck the ball from a boundary throw in and snap a goal, almost all in the same motion.)

Doc Wheildon kicked 4 that day I think, also dropped a few players to, ;-) My highlight of 89

Boomer l'm a " boomer " like a few others on here, born 1960 😎 Only missed the '50 G.F.

Lucky enough to live in the commission flats near Arden st. as a kid. Seen it all and enjoyed it all. Hopefully a few more G F's. to attend. Funnily enough l always wanted to beat Carltank in a G.F. but '99 was a bit of a letdown. So obvious they weren't going to win.

Let it be * next. 👍
I detest that club so much, that I almost prefer to finish out of the finals than play them in a GF, and have any possibility of them winning a flag.

We were by far the best team in 1998. Adelaide stole that flag, just as they did the previous year when they beat the Dogs in the PF. My late brother-in-law, a fanatical dogs fan, were sitting behind the goals at the Jolimont end, when Libba kicked that goal and celebrated, only for the goal umpire to rule it as a behind. I swear to this day that was a goal.

Adelaide stole their two flags.

F***!

Poor choice of words.

The plural or group noun for crows is a murder of crows.

Which I kind of wish I'd done.

I was watching that game here and at half time was fairly confident.

Then about thirty fu**en crows landed outside the house, right outside the room the telly is in, and started squawking like mad. I felt weirded out and a little bit sick. Should have taken a shotty to the campaigners but my missus likes crows.

All of you who think that game was weird ... That was very weird. I hated it, especially after so many behinds that could have won us the game had they been kicked straight.

The silver lining is that the loss spurred the 99 flag. Would we have won anyway? Perhaps, but the sting of 98 played a part.

Being my first full season as a supporter 99 obviously holds very nostalgic and happy memories for me. The group had the arrogance of knowing we only had to show up in a few bursts during many games to get the job done. The round 10 Port game and round 14 Brisbane games in particular were incredible spectacles. If I may take a trip down memory lane to some of the more forgotten games that I went to..

RD 10 Kangaroos 20.13.133 - Port 18.18.126 - We were 34 points down in the second quarter. Kent Kingsley ends up kicking 6 on debut as we come roaring back in a see-sawing encounter.

RD 14 Kangaroos 15.12.102 - Brisbane Lions 15.10.100 - 26 points down at half time, the boys come out with a 5 goal burst in the opening minutes of the second half to take the lead. Brisbane wrestles back the momentum and with 3 minutes remaining, Byron Pickett sprinting back touches what would have been a certain goal just cm from the line which puts us 15 points down. Instead it's just 10. Steve kicks the goal from 50 with 20 seconds remaining to seal it.

RD 6 Kangaroos 21.11.137 - Collingwood 16.13.109 - Around the time we are getting guys back from injury and hitting form. We blow them away in the first quarter and hold a solid lead the rest of the match.

RD 12 Kangaroos 12.21.93 - Melbourne 14.8.92 - A bizarre game where a team we should have thrashed stayed close because we kicked so poorly. 8 straight behinds to end the game to us.

RD 13 Kangaroos 13.11.89 Carlton 8.5.53 - The blues come out blazing and lead us 31-2. It was all us after that though, outscoring them 87-22 on a cold Sat night at the G.

I personally don't buy into the idea that Essendon were that much better than us that year. Fair enough they beat us in rd 17 (rd 2 isn't really relevant because we had so many injuries and even then had just as many scoring shots). But you take a look how many eventual premiers have been beaten by their grand final opponents in the regular season, and it's very often. They were good, but not that far ahead. They got destroyed by several ordinary/s**t teams (WC by 74 points where they only kicked 23 points for the whole day, St Kilda by 43 points, Port by 37 and Melbourne by 21).

Without always making the 90s better (they were but anyway) I guarantee Denis Pagan in exactly the same position would've taken a couple of scalps out on the way.

In 2002 he lost the best player in history and the lynchpin of a team minutes before the end of preseason. Carey even played in preseason comp games, that's how close it was to the real thing when hell broke loose.

For Denis to somehow regroup without Carey or McKernan (traded the previous year) while negotiating with the club after 8 straight prelims and 2 flags only to be advised he was getting a paycut.. was something else.

He took his team out of the state in round 1 (funny that) and took out the minor premiers (Port Adelaide) on their own dungheap. To then go on narrowly lose to the premiers (Brisbane) up there and eventually make the finals with a decaying side was some achievement.

If all he had to content with was being told by the list managers that he was losing 4 stalwarts at the end of year, he'd have had the whole squad breathing fire.

I wonder how we would have traveled in 02 with a fit Carey had that whole saga not happened.

We only finished outside the top 4 by a game and % and lost a few close games.

For me, 2016 was like a kick in the balls. Being 9-0 then getting flogged by the Camry Crowbots in the Finals stung.

Was difficult. Think it was 10-1 and two games clear. I was dreaming.

Yeap this is my worry also. Controversial statement but I think it is preferable to live life as normal and if we lose half a million people so be it. WHO estimates some years 650,000 die from the normal flue. I do not understand why we have to close the world down for this and send everyone out of work, into financial ruin.

Because 1.6 million die with this using your stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back