Opinion To those of you, who have seen North win flags...

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been to every GF North have played in except 1950. My old man played in that one so I was sort of there.
75 was the best (aged 12), 96 was the drunkest, and 98 was the worst. After we won 99 I felt that it almost made up for 98, but not quite.
And I still feel sick about 94.

Luckily for me, I couldn't get the tickets to 1998. Attended the 96 and 99.

You prick! I still have nightmares of our 2 goal 11 behinds second quarter dominance for little reward and recall the halftime chatter of “we’ll be right, just have to kick straight. We are murdering them!”

F***!

er did. We competed, were ok but just weren’t good enough. A bit like we find ourselves today. That’s ok, I’m fine with it, it could be worse. The 90’s was our greatest era and to live through it was incredi
A bit of poor form there mate. It was no letdown for me. I never saw Fitzroy win one and I was truly pinching myself when we got the chocolates in 1999.

I once asked a Carlton supporting friend of mine, after they won in 1995, what it was like to experience so many flags. His response was, "well I've seen that many now, its no big deal." A******e. I have very much enjoyed the Carlton travails of the last 25 years. Long may that remain.

Just like you I never saw Fitzroy win a flag, ( But I still get a kick out of that '89 Reserves Premiership) but lucky enough to Remember 1996 and 1999, hopefully a few more soon.

Just like you I never saw Fitzroy win a flag, ( But I still get a kick out of that '89 Reserves Premiership) but lucky enough to Remember 1996 and 1999, hopefully a few more soon.

Yes indeed. Why does the name Doc Wheildon immediately spring to mind?

I was lucky enough to be there that day and it was truly great to witness first hand.

(Also saw, from a few metres away, Gary Ablett Senior pluck the ball from a boundary throw in and snap a goal, almost all in the same motion.)

I envy you lot. I was born mere months after ‘99, too young to remember Wayne Carey (who in my early childhood was past his prime and playing for the Crows anyway).

I know this is a very negative post and all, but I can’t help but feel saddened every time I watch one of our premiership victories. My Grandfather had to wait half his life to see us win a flag, my old man grew up far luckier, getting to watch the likes of Keith Grieg and Malcolm Blight.

For me personally, I have this gut feeling that I am going to have to wait many more years to see us win a flag.

My father and I actually got kissed on the dick by lady luck considering my family are 5 generations North. We have been around for all 4 of them.

The great grandparents never got to see one in the VFL, but they were about for the latter part of the VFA "Invincibles" era.

My grand parents copped the 70's flags, but were gone by the 90's, and the 5th generation haven't seen one yet.

Last edited:
My father and I actually got kissed on the dick by lady luck considering my family are 5 generations North. We have been around for all 4 of them.

The great grandparents never go to see one in the VFL, but they were about for the latter part of the VFA "Invincibles" era.

My grand parents copped the 70's flags, but were gone by the 90's, and the 5th generation haven't seen one yet.
For me, 2016 was like a kick in the balls. Being 9-0 then getting flogged by the Camry Crowbots in the Finals stung.

51.5 years old and I feel sick figuratively

Me too, a little.

If I get thru this, which should happen hopefully, but you never know and it's not that certain, then for sure I'm gonna lose friends, hopefully not family but I can't see that not happening. Cousins and uncles and aunties all over the world.

Hygiene, vitamin d and anything else that helps your immune system is good.

Try and be positive and relaxed as well.

For me, 2016 was like a kick in the balls. Being 9-0 then getting flogged by the Camry Crowbots in the Finals stung.

I can't say what's going to happen in the future mate. It's a different competition and a different club now.

There's nowhere near the level of "backs to the wall" ruthlessness any more.

I envy you lot. I was born mere months after ‘99, too young to remember Wayne Carey (who in my early childhood was past his prime and playing for the Crows anyway).

I know this is a very negative post and all, but I can’t help but feel saddened every time I watch one of our premiership victories. My Grandfather had to wait half his life to see us win a flag, my old man grew up far luckier, getting to watch the likes of Keith Grieg and Malcolm Blight.

For me personally, I have this gut feeling that I am going to have to wait many more years to see us win a flag.
We will win another one soon. I’m confident. 👍

Without always making the 90s better (they were but anyway) I guarantee Denis Pagan in exactly the same position would've taken a couple of scalps out on the way.

In 2002 he lost the best player in history and the lynchpin of a team minutes before the end of preseason. Carey even played in preseason comp games, that's how close it was to the real thing when hell broke loose.

For Denis to somehow regroup without Carey or McKernan (traded the previous year) while negotiating with the club after 8 straight prelims and 2 flags only to be advised he was getting a paycut.. was something else.

He took his team out of the state in round 1 (funny that) and took out the minor premiers (Port Adelaide) on their own dungheap. To then go on narrowly lose to the premiers (Brisbane) up there and eventually make the finals with a decaying side was some achievement.

If all he had to content with was being told by the list managers that he was losing 4 stalwarts at the end of year, he'd have had the whole squad breathing fire.

Hey Boomer, I jumped on the North bandwagon in 1978. So i was a grown arse adult when we finally got the big one in 1996. Let me tell you, waiting that long made it a truly beautiful experience, and one I've never forgotten!

Don't give up hope. They aren't easy to win, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Only 2 teams have won more premierships than us since 1975!!!

Enjoy the journey and go roos :thumbsu:
great post!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You prick! I still have nightmares of our 2 goal 11 behinds second quarter dominance for little reward and recall the halftime chatter of “we’ll be right, just have to kick straight. We are murdering them!”

F***!
We were absolutely smashing those pricks.....Winnie was BOG and flying. Grrrr!

We were absolutely smashing those pricks.....Winnie was BOG and flying. Grrrr!

I was chatting to Crows fans at half time who were tossing up getting in the car and leaving.

I still can't quite come to terms with the bizarre nature of that match.

I'm with you Snake. At half time I was almost wishing the Crows would make a game of it. I blame myself.

That match, and North v Sydney round 6 1991, are the two most extraordinary games I have witnessed.

I went to the 96 GF, and was blind because I attended the NMFC breakfast with a mate. We started drinking red wine for breakfast which didn't end well. I was shaking hands with then PM John Howard and saying to Geoff Marsh how great he was. Rolled into the ground, and let Melbourne (and Sydney) know how great we are as a club. Amazing morning and afternoon, but the evening ended early. In 98' I was in London watching the game with people from all over the world, and letting them know we are the best team of the past decade and lost....they hung s**t on me for the rest of the night/morning. In 99' I was with my best mate in Dublin who barracks for Carlton (yes that's right, Carlton). He turned up to my apartment with Carlton face paint.Huge GF with a kick to kick at half time with the footy and off our ****. Big night but we both wished we were there. The GF is a bizarre day because it's so emotional it nearly makes you sick, but so exciting at the same time. Can't wait for the next one.

Started going every week in ‘79. Way too young to remember ‘75, vaguely remember ‘77. Went to the ‘78 prelim, but we were in Sydney on GF day.

Was at ‘96 & ‘99. Meh.

Once old enough I started taking interest in late 98 so I missed most of our 90's era due to age. The Dogs game in round 22 was the first one I saw and the first game I attended was against the filth in early 99 with a friend and his dad.

Once old enough I started taking interest in late 98 so I missed most of our 90's era due to age. The Dogs game in round 22 was the first one I saw and the first game I attended was against the filth in early 99 with a friend and his dad.

A VERY good game to bust your cherry. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I was a teenager during the 90’s and obviously have fond memories of 96 & 99.
But to be honest my fondest memories during that era was Friday night football. It felt like we were on the big stage every second Friday night. We had really good crowds and we obviously knocked over whoever we were playing on most occasions.
Nothing better than finishing school for the week, having the weekend ahead and sitting down to watch Carey, Mckernan, Arch, Stevo, Martin etc rip sides apart.
I guess one positive the kids of today can be glad they missed is some of the heartbreaking losses we had. The 98 grand final and the 94 prelim were dark days in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I share a first name with a famous North (alleged) supporter in the UK who is in some serious trouble and has a thread In his honour here.

There was another one of us ... He was an art student at VCA and for one of his graduating pieces in '93 or '94 he did a sculpture of a footy an oval and some North colours marking the ball or something I can't remember exactly. There was more to it than but that's the important bit. North and footy.

It was called:

Friday night at the GB.

The GB being the Great Britain hotel in Richmond near the train line.

So many great memories (or lack of memories) from those times. If we weren't up the road at the footy we were in the front bar watching it. Those Richmond locals hated it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back