To those who watched Geelong in the 70s - need some help understanding a reference

Remove this Banner Ad

"3GL commenced operations in November, 1931, being the second country station established in Victoria. It is now in its fifteenth year of operation. The power is 500 watts, its frequency 1350K.C. (222 metres). It gives continuous service - Monday to Saturday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., and on Sunday 8 a.m. to 10.15 p.m."

It would appear that 3GL originally broadcast @1350 then later @ 1431.
http://www.radioheritage.net/Story242.asp

Do any of the old blokes here remember "The Passing Parade" that was on 3GL? I used to listen to it when I was a teenager. It opened with “Hi, This is John Doremus, welcome to The Passing Parade.” It was a program with some great story telling.
I remember the first time I listened to 3GL. I was grade 4 primary school and stuck at home in a bed with septic knee condition. Parents bought me a crystal set and this was back in 1966. Weird listening to the closing down every night at midnight or earlier.
I do recall TPP a bit.
The crystal set was amazing- think I knew every top 40 song from around the world back then.

Do not know who's canoe you are paddling.."and it was all way's behind the play - and opposition clubs knew all about it" Rod Carter FFS you actually think that example is credible... and what if he did give him a bit during his first game...so what. Newspaper article..what paper? "Carters horror" I think I want a bit of what you are smoking. Oh and tough guy Carter hits him back and shuts him down..are you for real? Oh well I guess it is a long time ago and maybe Newland got a bit cranky as he got older but I doubt it. But if you say it's true it must be. Personally I would say BS.
By the way Billy Goggin could be a nasty piece of work when he wanted to be but in the context of the game played then it was fair enough. I would not state on a few minor incidents(for the time) that Goggin was a dirty player ...he was a top line rover of his era. I think maybe you have been outside feeding the chooks too long or in need of a wind up.

I hope the following link works www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-07-27/on-this-day-carters-first-and-only-goal

In that link Carter mentions briefly his 1st game of vfl - opposed to Newlands

In the newspaper article i read - he goes into alot more detail and his horror about it happening

I hope the following link works www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-07-27/on-this-day-carters-first-and-only-goal

In that link Carter mentions briefly his 1st game of vfl - opposed to Newlands

In the newspaper article i read - he goes into alot more detail and his horror about it happening
I think I will let this one go...ok he wacked Rod Carter who was 18 at the time in his first game. As a 16 year old I got wacked before the first bounce of a GFL game and crushed after kicking a goal later in the game..not pleasant but what does not kill you makes you stronger. I quite liked tilt who was FB for the Swans when I lived just down the road from the SCG and followed them. "Crackers" Newlands may not be on your Xmas card list but a terrific sportsman/bloke anyways. You have your experience and I have mine and I actually did know the bloke albeit fairly briefly.

I remember the first time I listened to 3GL. I was grade 4 primary school and stuck at home in a bed with septic knee condition. Parents bought me a crystal set and this was back in 1966. Weird listening to the closing down every night at midnight or earlier.
I do recall TPP a bit.
The crystal set was amazing- think I knew every top 40 song from around the world back then.

You know that you are getting old when you can remember having a crystal set.

It's funny how jingles stick with you. This is my memory of the mid-80s:

3GL means football
In our city by the bay
3GL says, "Come on Cats!"
Good footy's here to stay.
3GL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back