Opinion To vote or not to vote?

Should the President be selected by a competitive ballot votes by the members?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the coming weeks Barcelona FC will be electing their next President.

There are three candidates, who have each put forward policy positions on financial strategy, sporting plan, key personnel, infrastructure plan, and policy position on higher league matters. On the 7th March the members vote which of the three members will be President.

You can read more about the Barcelona FC elections here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56116684

Should the President be selected by a competitive ballot here at Collingwood?

Should there be an election of candidates?

Or should the board run a process where they’re effectively appointing somebody? (As appears to be happening)

Poll above

For me, the case for voting is:
- Allow members to be more involved in the club
- Reinforce the relationship between the President / board and members
- Stimulate discussion and thinking amongst the membership / fanbase about what they want the future of the club to be.
- Encourage more fans to take up membership.
- Potentially end up with a more diverse range of ideas on the board.
- Other?

For me, the case against voting is:
- Are there even enough candidates to hold a ballot?
- Might discourage good candidates who don’t want to take part in a “beauty contest” (is this a good or a bad thing?)
- Potentially end up with a politician (style over substance)
- Potentially more board conflict, indecision, infighting
- Other?

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I think the club has a fair idea of what president the members want and that re.. someone that flies under the *en radar with a bit of that progressive bougeious feel about em and that re. Someone that can walk into a boardroom with a bit of that 50 shades of sexy swagger and that re.. and is not afraid to say to anyone.. stop piss farting around and do your job.. you can't.. hit the bricks pal.. no boys club..

No to members voting. Based on some of the responses to Ed’s departure, the members might vote for an Eddie clone.:oops:

It’s better left to the Board, although the current Board are of Ed’s making...

I think the club has a fair idea of what president the members want and that re.. someone that flies under the fu**en radar with a bit of that progressive bougeious feel about em and that re. Someone that can walk into a boardroom with a bit of that 50 shades of sexy swagger and that re.. and is not afraid to say to anyone.. stop piss farting around and do your job.. you can't.. hit the bricks pal.. no boys club..

Sadly, Collingwood can’t afford you 😢

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Honestly re.. what would any of the members know about Wiley or Bertrand.. this is not a govt election where you get a good feel of the person you want to vote for.. as long as those who are in charge have a good understanding of what the members want.. that's good enough.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

If I get a sense it's a you scratch my back I scratch yours scenario.. as a board member.. I'd give everyone a piece of my mind.. and only last a couple of weeks.. as long as I've ruffled a few feathers.. that's good enough for me. Club first.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Honestly re.. what would any of the members know about Wiley or Bertrand.. this is not a govt election where you get a good feel of the person you want to vote for.. as long as those who are in charge have a good understanding of what the members want.. that's good enough.
Is Bertrand being mentioned as a serious candidate? He is 74, essentially retired down the coast?

Is Bertrand being mentioned as a serious candidate? He is 74, essentially retired down the coast?

Nice bloke - but no. He’d be more of the same, one of the Collingwood old boys. We need change. Just like Eddie brought when he arrived, to his credit. But he overstayed his welcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If we have another lockdown, you can get him to do your lawns.

Wouldn't mind.. we can discuss median prices skyrocketing on the Peninsula.. and how to take advantage of Victoria's credit rating being downgraded.. make a few bob re.. good to come out of the bad I s'pose.. thanks Drac.. idiot.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
It’s simple, we are a membership club not owned by a millionaire so the members must vote in the president and board that is the right of the members.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
- Stimulate discussion and thinking amongst the membership / fanbase about what they want the future of the club to be.
- Other?

- Might discourage good candidates who don’t want to take part in a “beauty contest” (is this a good or a bad thing?)
- Other?

Those points against voting are extremely flimsy at best. If a candidate is too scared to open themselves up to the members vote then they aren't a good candidate in the first place.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
My concern with a member vote is their collective knowledge of potential candidates. Are they merely voting for names they know rather than identifying the best person for the role?

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Voting should not be allowed, people are too stupid and too easily influenced by the media. Good business decisions aren’t always the most popular, and aren’t always the most obvious.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I’m pro voting, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best option. For instance were an election held tomorrow and McGuire ran I’d say he’s still a better than decent chance to get up based on the demographics of the voters...

If we were to change our board governance maximum terms are the way to go and the board need to be more inclusive with those who want to push for it. We’ve all heard the stories of how McGuire influenced any potential challenges and neither is overly helpful, IMO.

Unfortunately it’s also hard to comment on what change is needed because for so long McGuire has been the board. For instance Korda and Waislitz have been there 20 odd years and they’re completely faceless. I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily I would just prefer one person to never have the presence McGuire had again. These are board members not operations staff and McGuire’s attitude in the role blurred those lines.

I'm a firm NO for members voting on the President.

Can you imagine what type of candidate would get voted in for what would essentially be a popularity contest! :eek:

I've also sat amongst the members plenty enough times to understand that if we give them power to vote on the President it would be a circus.

Cue the Benny Hill music o_O:drunk::drunk:o_O:$

- Other?

- Other?
To me, for an election to be worthwhile a fair bit of member education would be necessary in terms of what the president and board's role is.

I consider myself a reasonably informed Member, but would have no real insight into to people I would have the choice to vote for.
That said, if you don't vote if the option is there you can't really complain after the event.

I trust the club.
Eddie was a great choice when he was selected.

To me, for an election to be worthwhile a fair bit of member education would be necessary in terms of what the president and board's role is.

In my own experience, the voting members who turn up to AGM’s ...

... ie: the social club and / or Legends members who go turn up to the club on a Tuesday evening in the middle of the off-season ...

... do tend to be a mostly reasonable bunch who would have a well developed opinion about the type of people they reckon should be running the club. Of course there are the crazies, but you get them in any democratic crowd, and that’s just an indication of diverse opinion. I’m sure some there would consider me one of the crazies!

I would not have a problem at all with the standard AGM crowd voting for a President ...

... just not sure that if a President were to be up for election whether it’d be the standard AGM crowd?

Last edited:
Back