To Yarran or not Yarran?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yarren was a gun. I would gladly take him in as a rookie. He just needs to get his head in the right space.

Can you imagine Brodie Smith and Yarren running off the HBF? Would cause absolute havoc and solve one of the big problems we have had in the past - drive out of defense. Some games we really struggled, especially if we lost a Smith, or Seedsman back there.

Someone like Garlett can negatively affect the culture of a playing group so I would stay away.
Think you are thinking of different Garlett - the Gold Coast suns one not he former hawk

I'd definitely do the GC suns one if he was keen to give it another crack and his family issues have settled

Not so sure on Yarran

Rookie at best.
He came back to preseason for tigers well over weight and having stopped training it would be hard to see him getting back into the necessary condition for 2018 let alone his MH problems.
This is the best I would stretch the hand of human kindness towards CY

I rate him as a player when switched on.
I would like to see us take a punt because it would be very unexpected and show we had balls to make such a decision.
As a rookie I don't see much risk if we went down that path.

Yes

Need talent if we are going to win a premiership. Take a punt, have some guts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is free, on min wages and if he is cleared to play by mental health professionals then why not. Its part of the reputation our club is trying to set ourself apart from others. That we look after players.

Yes

Need talent if we are going to win a premiership. Take a punt, have some guts.

Not doubting his talent but we can't go taking a risk on a guy that hasn't got his head right. Playing in the AFL is no walk in the park, even at the best of times.

Do we really want to pull a Geelong and get our very own Mitch Clark? Go talk to some Cats supporters and ask them how they feel about that trade.

Not doubting his talent but we can't go taking a risk on a guy that hasn't got his head right. Playing in the AFL is no walk in the park, even at the best of times.

Do we really want to pull a Geelong and get our very own Mitch Clark? Go talk to some Cats supporters and ask them how they feel about that trade.

Bit of difference between Mitch Clark on $450k for 3 years and Yarran on a 1-2 year rookie contract.

If he is free, on min wages and if he is cleared to play by mental health professionals then why not. Its part of the reputation our club is trying to set ourself apart from others. That we look after players.

It's good to have this reputation but I don't know why this applies to Yarran. Are you really suggesting our ability to rehabilitate injured players equates to the same as treating someone with ongoing mental health issues?

It's good to have this reputation but I don't know why this applies to Yarran. Are you really suggesting our ability to rehabilitate injured players equates to the same as treating someone with ongoing mental health issues?

I am suggesting that I believe we can treat players with MH issues the way a club should. If we give him another chance and it works and he gets another few seasons at his best then we will enhance our reputation and get a good deal on a quality player while doing it. Win-win. But he needs to be passed fit first. His MH cleared. Then we give him a chance.

Buddy came back well.

Such a shame if it ends like this for Yarran at only 26 yrs of age. In my 30+ years of watching he is probably my favourite player. It was a complete joy to watch him in full flight.
Unfortunately I don't think he will ever play in the AFL again. If he was to try a comeback I think Carlton would be where he is most likely to succeed.

Such a shame if it ends like this for Yarran at only 26 yrs of age. In my 30+ years of watching he is probably my favourite player. It was a complete joy to watch him in full flight.
Unfortunately I don't think he will ever play in the AFL again. If he was to try a comeback I think Carlton would be where he is most likely to succeed.

Or WA surely. He might be better off not going back to Melbourne. I think this thread was suggested due to his ties to Eddie. But I would have thought a WA club would be the best for him so he is close to home. Thats a massive wrap you have given him. Sad to see that kind of talent wasted. He reminded me of Michael Long reincarnate. The way he would run with pace and balance. In any case he was a Rolls Royce when he was at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back