Toast Toast Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys Stanley would be a great partner to Marshall. They could each play 50% of the game in the ruck, 35% forward and 15% on the bench. We'd probably get 40 hitouts, 30 disposals, 8 marks and 3 goals a game from them combined. But of course we decided to trade a super athletic, versatile tall with great skills who was entering his prime for a second round draft pick.

Rhys Stanley would be a great partner to Marshall. They could each play 50% of the game in the ruck, 35% forward and 15% on the bench. We'd probably get 40 hitouts, 30 disposals, 8 marks and 3 goals a game from them combined. But of course we decided to trade a super athletic, versatile tall with great skills who was entering his prime for a second round draft pick.
The club drafted Hugh Goddard with that pick who was unfortunanty killed by injuries.

The club drafted Hugh Goddard with that pick who was unfortunanty killed by injuries.

So they drafted a tall less athletically gifted swing man who was tall enough to ruck with the pick they got from trading out the one they had. Good move.

Bigoa 'Biggy' Nyuon could be the perfect foil for Marshall, if we can develop him quickly. We do however need someone to tide us through. Goldstein would be absolutely perfect for that role, and Jacobs could even be serviceable. Both would be great mentors for Marshall who has no 'senior' ruck to learn off. He certainly has nothing more to learn from Longer & Pierce.

EDIT: Reilly O'Brian, also uncontracted next year,

Last edited:
Was going to start a new thread but I might as well bump an already made one.

His rise has been incredible, no either way to describe it. The first time I really noticed his athleticism was the cringefest that was the AFLX early last year. I was surprised that he was selected but thought "Wow he's pretty mobile for a big lad." In and out through 2018 playing a mixture of Back, Forward, and if I remember right, a few games in the ruck. He performed ok, but didn't set the world on fire.

2019 comes around and he isn't selected as the ruck for the first game against the Suns, much to my and many other poster's surprise. Pierce had a pretty mediocre game was gassed by half time, and after that it was like we were constantly man down. He might have got concussed that game as well.

In comes Marshall, out of necessity seemingly more than a selection-based decision, and he hasn't looked back. The guy is simply incredible. He has an amazing tank and has been asked to regularly run single handedly against 2 ruckman set-ups (think Ryder and Lycett, Hickey and Vardy, Gawn and Preuss, McEvoy and Ceglar) and has often beat the pair of them. His work when the ball hits the ground is the best for any ruckman perhaps other than Grundy, and he's truly like another rover. His kicking, decision making and spatial awareness is exceptional and yet underrated and surprisingly not talked about much. His contested marking has hugely improved through the year to the extent that when you see him in a contest you know he's very likely to grab it.

The only deficiency of his game was hit outs, and yet that has actually rapidly improved throughout the year. He was particularly excellent in this aspect last game against the dogs. During the game it was immediately noticeable when he was off having a spell because we would seemingly always lose the centre clearance. I would always breathe a big sigh of relief when I saw the big 19 back in the middle. I also don't think it's a coincidence that a guy like Dunstan is having a career best year/patch of form when he's getting excellent service.

The sky is the limit for this guy and I truly mean that. I think he's been the second best ruckman this year because Gawn has had a down year and has big issues with his kicking, though that evaluation will be put to the test this week. I'm not just talking a potential elite ruckman, I'm thinking even potential Brownlow winner if he gets decent support around him, such are his attributes, consistency and degree of impact he has on each game. I'm not trying to put the pressure on him, but it's been so long since that saints had an out and out star (Lockett, Harvey, Riewoldt) that this guy could potentially be the next one.

Last edited:
if by 'entering his prime' you mean 'took another three years to be even halfway serviceable' then yeah he was entering his prime.

His rise has been incredible, no either way to describe it. The first time I really noticed his athleticism was the cringefest that was the AFLX early last year. I was surprised that he was selected but thought "Wow he's pretty mobile for a big lad." In and out through 2018 playing a mixture of Back, Forward, and if I remember right, a few games in the ruck. He performed ok, but didn't set the world on fire.

2019 comes around and he isn't selected as the ruck for the first game against the Suns, much to my and many other poster's surprise. Pierce had a pretty mediocre game was gassed by half time, and after that it was like we were constantly man down. He might have got concussed that game as well.

In comes Marshall, out of necessity seemingly more than a selection-based decision, and he hasn't looked back. The guy is simply incredible. He has an amazing tank and has been asked to regularly run single handedly against 2 ruckman set-ups (think Ryder and Lycett, Hickey and Vardy, Gawn and Preuss, McEvoy and Ceglar) and has often beat the pair of them. His work when the ball hits the ground is the best for any ruckman perhaps other than Grundy, and he's truly like another rover. His kicking, decision making and spatial awareness is exceptional and yet underrated and surprisingly not talked about much. His contested marking has hugely improved through the year to the extent that when you see him in a contest you know he's very likely to grab it.

The only deficiency of his game was hit outs, and yet that has actually rapidly improved throughout the year. He was particularly excellent in this aspect last game against the dogs. During the game it was immediately noticeable when he was off having a spell because we would seemingly always lose the centre clearance. I would always breathe a big sigh of relief when I saw the big 19 back in the middle. I also don't think it's a coincidence that a guy like Dunstan is having a career best year/patch of form when he's getting excellent service.

The sky is the limit for this guy and I truly mean that. I think he's been the second best ruckman this year because Gawn has had a down year and has big issues with his kicking, though that evaluation will be put to the test this week. I'm not just talking a potential elite ruckman, I'm thinking even potential Brownlow winner if he gets decent support around him, such is his attributes, consistency and impact he has on each game. I'm not trying to put the pressure on him, but it's been so long since that saints had an out and out star (Lockett, Harvey, Riewoldt) that this guy could potentially be the next one.

I agree with this 100%, he has something about him that we haven't seen in a long long time.

The sky is the limit for this guy and I truly mean that. I think he's been the second best ruckman this year because Gawn has had a down year and has big issues with his kicking, though that evaluation will be put to the test this week. I'm not just talking a potential elite ruckman, I'm thinking even potential Brownlow winner if he gets decent support around him, such is his attributes, consistency and impact he has on each game. I'm not trying to put the pressure on him, but it's been so long since that saints had an out and out star (Lockett, Harvey, Riewoldt) that this guy could potentially be the next one.

Yes fully agree. I posted the below after the Tigers game this year.

Marshall is the best ruck we have had since Gardiner and before that Spider.

It is rare for StKilda to have more than a battler in the ruck.

Marshall never looked this good as a key forward at Sandi.

His moment is now. Let him learn and grow as a No1 Ruck. We may well be seeing the birth of the greatest St Kilda ruck ever. He is not there yet, but he has all the tools, he has the desire, he has the swagger, he has the competitiveness. All this and only a small number of games from rucking in the firsts. So let us give him the opportunity to see just how good he can be.

I watched Spider play a reserves game at Kardinia Park and in that one game I just knew he was a special talent. Marshall is the first young StKilda ruck since that I am equally excited about. Indeed I am probably more excited about.

RoMa is the type of player that would warrant risking a Hamill-type situation. I’m happy we got him re-signed this season, but if he carries this form into next year then I wouldn’t argue against another re-signing; extend the years with additional money throughout. His impact on the side, this year, cannot be overstated.

I remember watching marshal play for sandy a few years back when I went to check out paddy. Marshall was doing some things that made paddy look second rate, but I tried to play it down because I was so invested in mcartin... turns out, he's a bloody star and it wasn't the knock on paddy I thought it was after all

One thing I like about our boyis the consistant performances that he is putting up. It might be because his game is so complete but he never gets monstered in a game he is always as a base line competitive and usually much better then just that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy his size he's incredibly agile, is amazing below his knees and keeps his feet as well.

I'm honestly struggling to think of a similar "type" to Roma that we have seen in the game before. Looking further back, a legendary mobile ruckman like Jim Stynes played like an extra midfielder but he was more a crazy runner, not this agile beast we've got.

The closest I can think of is Grundy. I feel Roma has him for agility though and, judging by some of the absolute lasers he is kicking at the moment, he has him covered for field kicking.

He is an amazingly exciting prospect for us, it's hard to keep the lid on now. If he finishes the final matches with a few BOGS he is a shout for our B and F as well as All Australian nomination. That's pretty astounding considering he was left out round 1.

For a guy his size he's incredibly agile, is amazing below his knees and keeps his feet as well.

I'm honestly struggling to think of a similar "type" to Roma that we have seen in the game before. Looking further back, a legendary mobile ruckman like Jim Stynes played like an extra midfielder but he was more a crazy runner, not this agile beast we've got.

The closest I can think of is Grundy. I feel Roma has him for agility though and, judging by some of the absolute lasers he is kicking at the moment, he has him covered for field kicking.

He is an amazingly exciting prospect for us, it's hard to keep the lid on now. If he finishes the final matches with a few BOGS he is a shout for our B and F as well as All Australian nomination. That's pretty astounding considering he was left out round 1.
However the opposition will be focusing on him more.
How do you think they might minimise his impact?

However the opposition will be focusing on him more.
How do you think they might minimise his impact?
Good question.

I think he's such a unique player that he'll be tough to put the shackles on for opposition teams.

He's got super-quick reflexes and reaction times for a big man so is able to recover from the ruck contest and go again to win clearances better than pretty much any ruckman in the comp so that part of his game will be hard to stop. He becomes an extra mid for us quicker than any other ruckman meaningthat part of his game (quick recover from centre ruck contests) is pretty much impossible to stop. You already see the arrogance in the way he just plucks the ball out of the ruck and boots it like he's playing junior footy... or recovers from the ruck contest to lay a tackle or win a contested possession and fire a quick handball out. Those attributes will only get better with time and the only way he can be stopped is if other teams find a Roma pretty much.

Around the ground, he will be susceptible to copping someone running with him. The problem for the opposition (like they have with Grundy for instance) is, who is able to match him height and tank-wise?

The above is why having such a dominant big man that can get on their bike is such a great thing for a footy team to have: they are almost "un-taggable" when they are on.

Brodie Grundy's game against the Crows in Adelaide springs to mind - one of the best games from a mobile big man I've seen. No one could get near him. The mids are busy worrying about other mids so if Roma has the opposition ruckman covered when it comes to their tank, he'll just simply run them off their feet, take marks at will etc.

The interesting thing with Roma is he is such a unique beast: he can play tall or short. So, if the opposition sends a tall to run with him, Roma can get on his bike. If they send a mid to run with him, he can drag them forward and become an aerial threat.

Roma and Grundy types are fantastic ruckmen to have. And I think Roma can develop his ground game to become a "first-of-his-kind" ruckman for the competition and us and move a level above the likes of Grundy below his knees.

It's very exciting times for us to have a prospect like "The Prospect" growing before our eyes. You forget how fun it is as a footy fan to see young blokes blossom and turn into guns of the competition with a bit of swagger. We've been due one for a while now.

Last edited:
Good question.

I think he's such a unique player that he'll be tough to put the shackles on for opposition teams.

He's got super-quick reflexes and reaction times for a big man so is able to recover from the ruck contest and go again to win clearances better than pretty much any ruckman in the comp so that part of his game will be hard to stop. He becomes an extra mid for us quicker than any other ruckman meaningthat part of his game (quick recover from centre ruck contests) is pretty much impossible to stop. You already see the arrogance in the way he just plucks the ball out of the ruck and boots it like he's playing junior footy... or recovers from the ruck contest to lay a tackle or win a contested possession and fire a quick handball out. Those attributes will only get better with time and the only way he can be stopped is if other teams find a Roma pretty much.

Around the ground, he will be susceptible to copping someone running with him. The problem for the opposition (like they have with Grundy for instance) is, who is able to match him height and tank-wise?

The above is why having such a dominant big man that can get on their bike is such a great thing for a footy team to have: they are almost "un-taggable" when they are on.

Brodie Grundy's game against the Crows in Adelaide springs to mind - one of the best games from a mobile big man I've seen. No one could get near him. The mids are busy worrying about other mids so if Roma has the opposition ruckman covered when it comes to their tank, he'll just simply run them off their feet, take marks at will etc.

The interesting thing with Roma is he is such a unique beast: he can play tall or short. So, if the opposition sends a tall to run with him, Roma can get on his bike. If they send a mid to run with him, he can drag them forward and become an aerial threat.

Roma and Grundy types are fantastic ruckmen to have. And I think Roma can develop his ground game to become a "first-of-hid-kind" ruckman for the competition and us and move a level above the likes of Grundy below his knees.

It's very exciting times for us to have a prospect like "The Prospect" growing before our eyes. You forget how fun it is as a footy fan to see young blokes blossom and turn into guns of the competition with a bit of swagger. We've been due one for a while now.
Great response. Thanks.
One thing about Roma I’ve noticed is the understanding he has developed with Dunstan. No surprise that Luke is playing his best football for a while. There was a lovely left handed tap straight to Dunstan from a throw in in the fourth. Which Luke duly took advantage.
So I think as Roma develops, he will generate significant synergy with his core teammates.
Now, how long has it been since we’ve seen that?
That, to me, is just as exciting.

I remember watching marshal play for sandy a few years back when I went to check out paddy. Marshall was doing some things that made paddy look second rate, but I tried to play it down because I was so invested in mcartin... turns out, he's a bloody star and it wasn't the knock on paddy I thought it was after all

I seem to recall him playing some great games at Sandringham, and a heap of knockers on here saying he'll never translate to AFL.
Not sure why they thought that, i guess if you say that about all the rookies, you'll be right most of the time.

Great response. Thanks.
One thing about Roma I’ve noticed is the understanding he has developed with Dunstan. No surprise that Luke is playing his best football for a while. There was a lovely left handed tap straight to Dunstan from a throw in in the fourth. Which Luke duly took advantage.
So I think as Roma develops, he will generate significant synergy with his core teammates.
Now, how long has it been since we’ve seen that?
That, to me, is just as exciting.

This sort of thing seems to be really neglected in the modern game.
Back in the day there were a few players i thought were mind readers.
Chips and MaxH. ( sometimes it looked like Max was rucking the ball to Sam when it came in ).
Milney and Nick Reiwoldt and Kosi.
and all our mids who knew exactly where to kick it for Nick to get it, specially Lenny.

This sort of thing seems to be really neglected in the modern game.
Back in the day there were a few players i thought were mind readers.
Chips and MaxH. ( sometimes it looked like Max was rucking the ball to Sam when it came in ).
Milney and Nick Reiwoldt and Kosi.
and all our mids who knew exactly where to kick it for Nick to get it, specially Lenny.
Yes, it’s priceless.
That’s the synergy you get when a team develops together.

Watching the game last night, have seen Marshall play impressively before, but last night I really seen something special. The relaxed ruck rules allowing him to grab it and dish it out reminded me a bit of Primus is his prime, the way he would just dominate the other ruck like they weren't even there and get the footy out by hand. A pleasure to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back