Toby Greene… again.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The whole process is a joke and an embarrassment. How can a professional sport not have a governing body with the ability to set clear rules and penalties that don’t need be to argued in a court of law setting on a weekly basis. Absolutely amateur. Ffs talk about keeping lawyers in a job.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
The whole process is a joke and an embarrassment. How can a professional sport not have a governing body with the ability to set clear rules and penalties that don’t need be to argued in a court of law setting on a weekly basis. Absolutely amateur. Ffs talk about keeping lawyers in a job.
The consistency is as bad as the actual game day umpires

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disgraceful but exactly as expected. Manufacture a way for Buddy to get his charge reduced, manufacture a way to ensure Greene cant get out of his.

And continue to let Selwood get away with dirty acts while penalising other players who literally do the same thing.
Absolute farce.
And they dug even deeper today: the exact words used by the AFL

"Greene starts to shape his body in a way that shows great skill and anticipation; he's shaping to meet Dangerfield with the right side of his body. Nothing wrong with that. But he actually starts to shape his arm almost in preparation for what comes next; he gathers the ball in his left hand and then up (his right arm goes). This is a technique that was careless; it wasn't reflexive, nor did a player sneak up on him from a side. Many players flinch or brace and raise an elbow, that's not this case.
The essence of carelessness is there was a risk. He's moving in a way you cannot control but may deviate by centimetres, tens of centimetres, but you know he's going low. Those things tell you as a prudent player you can't raise your elbow because if I do, I might make contact with his neck, chin, jaw, face, eye socket. At that speed in which the contest is engaged, it need only take a few millimetres movement either way for the point of impact to change quite appreciably. That's why it's careless. The simple point is: don't engage in that contest with a raised elbow. The jury found he chose to engage in a contest with a raised elbow."

Now let me use those, and replace "Greene" with "Selwood", and replace "raised elbow" with "hip and shoulder to the head".
And remember Greene got to the ball, Selwood didn't.

1628758362096.png

"Selwood starts to shape his body in a way that shows great skill and anticipation; he's shaping to meet Taylor with the right side of his body. Nothing wrong with that. But he actually starts to shape his arm almost in preparation for what comes next; he gathers the ball in his left hand and then up (his right arm goes). This is a technique that was careless; it wasn't reflexive, nor did a player sneak up on him from a side. Many players flinch or brace for contact, that's not this case.
The essence of carelessness is there was a risk. He's moving in a way you cannot control but may deviate by centimetres, tens of centimetres, but you know he's going low. Those things tell you as a prudent player you can't execute a bump because if I do, I might make contact with his neck, chin, jaw, face, eye socket. At that speed in which the contest is engaged, it need only take a few millimetres movement either way for the point of impact to change quite appreciably. That's why it's careless. The simple point is: don't engage in that contest with a bump. The jury found he chose to engage in a contest with a bump to the head."

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
How is this any difference to Bayley Fritsch earlier this season? It’s the exact same movement!

How is this any difference to Bayley Fritsch earlier this season? It’s the exact same movement!

One plays for a Melbourne side…the other is Toby Greene

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That Toby Greene tax sure is hard to shake off. What a disgrace. 0.12 of a second reaction time and this is the rubbish they pull out.

That Toby Greene tax sure is hard to shake off. What a disgrace. 0.12 of a second reaction time and this is the rubbish they pull out.

Make matters worse Selwood gets off the same week

Yep. Decision is correct but the Giants were right to appeal based on similar cases in the same weekend. The AFL dug their own hole on this one.

Fritch the same year too. I mean I don’t have an issue with Greene going but can we have an ounce of consistency? Said the same thing when Buddy got given a week (which we appealed). There is stuff all consistency.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I have zero problem if that is a week as punishment.

My problem is it hasn’t been previous to Toby doing it.

Just like the Toby marking action. All of a sudden it’s made out to be an illegal action yet Jack Riewoldt did/does it as a regular occurrence. (Yes if Tobes kicks a guy in the face, 1 time and it was a dog, then he deserves punishment).

Patronus

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm
As expected

Selwood sends someone to Disneyland…nothing

Toby tries to win the ball…suspend him

Selwood did not send anyone to Disneyland if he had he would have got three weeks minimum. Should he have got a week? maybe but the MRC grading is very injury based so he got lucky no one was injured.

Maybe you should start a campaign that all head high bumps and strikes have a starting point of one week but then buddy would have not got off last week as well.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep. A heap of players should have been pinged. Then players wouldnt be throwing elbows.
Fritsch and buddy no doubt should have been suspended but the afl judiciary just like the umpiring is very inconsistent, doesn’t change the fact Greene deserved a week. Can’t make another bad decision just because you’ve made bad decisions previously.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Make matters worse Selwood gets off the same week

But y'know.....

Selwood is the guy you want in the trenches with you

Blah blah

The MRO and the Tribunal are so predicatable

Special consideration for the guys in the White hats and persecution for the guys wearing the Black hats

I think we all know which are which

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Admittedly Toby is a quick thinker but surely forming an intent to maim an opposition player in that time frame with an action that you cleverly disguise as "reflex" would require Mensa level genius capabilities

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys quick question, why do u think the AFL likes Selwood so much and not Greene? How does this benefit the AFL? Look forward to your answers.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey guys quick question, why do u think the AFL likes Selwood so much and not Greene? How does this benefit the AFL? Look forward to your answers.
Selwood is Geelong, Geelong have so many fingers in so many AFL + media pies that it's a given.
Greene is GWS, need controversy to gain media clicks for an expansion team, and Greene provides them in spades.

Back