Play Nice Toby Greene and "protecting the space"

Remove this Banner Ad

Same guy who coward punches people in nightclubs and was accused of stomping on a guys head after he was knocked out.
I think his behaviour on the field is just character driven...
Not a deliberately found loophole in the rules.
I’m all for a tough game , just not a dirty one.

Yes, poor-character driven. Greene is a cowardly, sniping grub who's accumulating a nasty record for headbutting/ striking/ spitting as well as his off-field incidents.
All the more reason for the AFL to stamp out his "space-protecting". It's bullshit.

Same guy who coward punches people in nightclubs and was accused of stomping on a guys head after he was knocked out.
Don’t let the truth....

GrandShortGrouper-max-1mb.gif

I guess most hands dont have studs on them....

Legs are longer and stronger and end in leather, stud-covered implements capable of injury. Perhaps the hands could wear knuckle-dusters?

Yeah these are both true but arm gestures are also regularly pushed towards another players ribs, throat or face. It only works when it's done with great force, by a strong player.

I'm just wondering why one is acceptable an lauded as a great strategy, but the other is apparently dirty and cheating.

For the record, I'm fine with both and prefer a physical game. Just a bit perplexed by the double-standards.

Yeah these are both true but arm gestures are also regularly pushed towards another players ribs, throat or face. It only works when it's done with great force, by a strong player.

I'm just wondering why one is acceptable an lauded as a great strategy, but the other is apparently dirty and cheating.

For the record, I'm fine with both and prefer a physical game. Just a bit perplexed by the double-standards.
Which part about stops don't you understand?

I wasn't aware of those incidents. If so, tear up his contract as the AFL is heavily subsidised by the government and government funding should not reward scum or organisations that think it's OK to hire them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurt his ankle tonight but surprisingly it wasn't from trying to kick someone (AFAIK).

How is it any different to a "don't argue" arm gesture? Why is that considered acceptable?
Say what now?
Above post left me open-mouthed in its naivete and lack of understanding, well-replied by kingswood71 and Dogs_R_Us below:
I guess most hands dont have studs on them....
Legs are longer and stronger and end in leather, stud-covered implements capable of injury. Perhaps the hands could wear knuckle-dusters?
But projectv still doesn't get it:
1) Yeah these are both true but arm gestures are also regularly pushed towards another players ribs, throat or face. 2) It only works when it's done with great force, by a strong player.
3) I'm just wondering why one is acceptable an lauded as a great strategy, but the other is apparently dirty and cheating.
1) it's called a 'fend' aka a "don't argue'. It ain't no "arm gesture" :rolleyes:. They are perfectly legal and a thing of beauty when done well, aimed at an oppo player's chest/ribs. If the fend goes high to the throat or face, it's deemed as high contact and nearly always is punished by a free kick. If you watch football o_O, you would have seen that many times.
2) Not true! Ablett Jr. uses the fend to great effect and he's 182cms / 85Kgs (but he is a nuggety rock) and players of all sizes can fend well. It seems to be about great timing. Players about to be tackled move quickly toward the tackler to push off more strongly. If they try to evade or move away, they're tackled more often than not.
3) Answered above. The fend is legal except when it becomes high contact. I am still incredulous that Greene's face-kick to Dalhaus did not get some weeks' suspension.
There is NO double-standard. The fend and Greene's dangerous kicks are very different.

Last edited:
Re: last night's game ... I loathe Collingwood and Eddie McGuire's omnipresent arrogance and a part of me wanted GWS to win, but I could never barrack for any team that has Greene in it. He must have been told to pull his head in because he displayed little of his usual bad behaviour and dirty tactics and was totally ineffective last night.
Great job by Maynard too.
GWS and their coach get to reflect upon another Finals ejection. We can all be grateful that Clarko doesn't coach GWS ;).

oh FFS

so a mark using the boot in the back is now no longer?

How about just keeping the rules of the game as they are and simply pay a free and or report a player for kicking if they use a kicking action! Which is completely different to placing the sprigs on the back of the opponent in a marking contest.

taking the speccie out of the game should not be at risk, simply because the AFL made a mistake. Even thinking about doing this, should be reason for people to sack themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back