Play Nice Toby Greene and "protecting the space"

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Jarrod Waite did what Greene did for over a decade and no one said a thing...I think what Greene did it dangerous and a terrible look, but the afl cleared him last year, so it’s legal.
Greene, unfortunately has Lindsay Thomas syndrome...same as James Sicily. They get treated differently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, Waite was jumping.

Greene just sidekicked someone.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t see a problem with it if it doesn’t go high. Have seen a tonne of players do it. Have seen Riewoldt do it a few times, Jarrad Waite done it quite a bit the list goes on.

Until it becomes an illegal action players will keep doing it.
Again, the last one was from the ground. That's not protecting yourself in the marking contest when jumping for the ball.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Greene is the boss.
He can do what he wants.
**** the whiners.

Hes operating within the rules in a manner that is allowing him to take the mark. No issues from that point of view.

Question is whether it should be allowed.

He’s not the first, I actually remember Wanganeen used to do it occasionally for us many years ago. Only a couple of times though.

Greene seems to employ it very often.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
I think there is a difference to using your foot to get elevation on an opponent and what Greene and others have done. I think it was Casboult (edit Waite) who was doing it a couple of seasons ago as well.

It wouldn't be hard to make using your studs to fend off illegal. If you are stepping up or elevating yourself over an opponent, fine.

Its been considered a shithead act at every level for forever and a day, unfortunately you can't iron out a turd like Greene like you used to so he'll continue to do piss weak acts such as that because there's no consequences to his actions.

Knees to back of head in marking contest are way more dangerous and legal.
Always wonder when is someone going to die from it.. possibly a similar thing that happened to Phil Hughes when the ball hit that particular spot and did what it did to a main artery going to his brain (I think that’s what happened, iirc)..

It is within the rules so no issue with it.

Due to him doing it repeatedly tonight he has effectively drawn a lot of attention to it and a rule change is going to come as a result of the outrage. Hope it's not knee jerk and just that if you collect your opponent high in doing it or at any time take your eye off the ball.

May 17, 2009
Melbourne , Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It is within the rules so no issue with it.

Due to him doing it repeatedly tonight he has effectively drawn a lot of attention to it and a rule change is going to come as a rersult of the outrage. Hope it's not knee jerk and just that if you collect your opponent high in doing it or at any time take your eye off the ball.

Absolutely bang on.

Back