Live Event Toby Greene fronts the tribunal - Suspension appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. Libba was missed badly. Tory Dickson and Jackson Trengrove would likely have helped too. If it wasnt a deliberate stategy to give young guys finals experience over tougher nuts it feels like it. And we all knew what the giants would bring after our R22 meeting with them.
Bailey Smith for us is the young first season mongrel.

It feeels like adeliberate Bevo policy/strategy not to be anti-social which means we dont give away many stupid free kicks (which oppo fans seem to think means were being favoured). Backfired saturday.
We need to toughen up if this is the new rules. Enforcer to settle it on the field. No more soft nice guys.

I reckon banging a guy's head on the ground is a dog act and should get a week. With a record as long as his. What about protecting the head? And it wasnt accidental or a hip and shoulder split-second thing that guys have gone for.

Imo it was right on the line, I would say he was more pushing his head into the ground rather than banging it.
There's plenty of things Greene should have been suspended for in the past (eg studs up fly kick to the face) but this is not one of them.

I honestly think $7500 is too excessive if there was no eye-gouging - it's like the fine had to grow to appease some media personalities as the outrage grew.

Maybe because Bevo's Bogans use niggly/roughouse tactics that get under his skin and he reacts accordingly?

If your going to poke the bear, don't cry wolf if he claws back. Doggies aren't the innocent lambs in these spiteful clash. Of course Greene has a short fuse and has to work on his anger issues, but I would suggest the Dogs themselves need to clean up their acts as well. It's a two way street.
Well if the tribunal isn't stopping this stuff I'm thinking we need to toughen up, get an enforcer and just bring settle it on the ground. See what we can get away with. We're too nice. We got out-mauled for sure.

Imo it was right on the line, I would say he was more pushing his head into the ground rather than banging it.
There's plenty of things Greene should have been suspended for in the past (eg studs up fly kick to the face) but this is not one of them.

I honestly think $7500 is too excessive if there was no eye-gouging - it's like the fine had to grow to appease some media personalities as the outrage grew.
I reckon the AFL needs to make a stand against players who attack defenseless players. No place in the game for that s**t.

Well maybe the outrage is justified as the guy never learns. He seemed honestly about to laugh outside afterwards. I just don't get why they tip toe around this rubbish.

View attachment 743172

Mum, I'm smart isn't I?

In all seriousness though, you can't genuinely look at what happened to Haynes and even remotely see that as dirty? Bontempelli has been one of the fairest players in the league over the duration of his career, he hit Haynes carelessly and was rightfully fined for it, but don't put a careless act in the same conversation as the act of a player that both on-field and off-field has shown to be one of the dirtier players in the history of the game.
I'm with you there. Look at the player's previous record. Bont deserves the benefit of the doubt over the late bump. I'm sure he is remorseful. He probably rang the guy. When I look At Greene's record I see a different story. A guilty plea from him means nothing to me. No discount. You're gone mate. You never learn...but he got away with it!!

Disagree. A suspension is warranted. Do we want our kids doing the same thing in the Junior leagues? It is grossly unsportsmanlike behaviour that should have no place in the game. A message needed to be sent out that that behaviour is unacceptable in our game.

Maybe you should have stood up to them instead of hoping for umpire protection?

And you don't have to stand up by going to their level.

Put scores on the board and those tactics tend to disappear.

Looked to me like they physically intimidated the Dogs and they Dogs wilted.
Yep. I think Dogs learnt their lesson. Need to toughen up. Bring back the enforcer maybe.

Yep. I think Dogs learnt their lesson. Need to toughen up. Bring back the enforcer maybe.

Someone above listed blokes who played in the 2016 prelim who didn't run out on the weekend - Libba, Wallis, Morris, Smith etc.

Wow you took it there.
I won' say you went full rtard, but you at least went half rtard.

We all know Greene probably did it - but footage is inconclusive so he should get off, unless Bulldogs are extra salty and bury Greene with the medical report. I hope not, hate bitter teams that do that (West Coast has been shafted by teams breaking the code in the past).

I know I'm in the minority here (in 2019 at least) but I love the niggle, it's a part of finals so I hope TG gets off. Dealing with pests/enforcers is a part of finals footy - you need to fire back.
Can see your point if all teams are on the same page. So do we all play dirty now and bring back biffo? Is that what we want? aFL mot really giving a clear enough message on intentional acts considering guys have got weeks for bumps and tackles
I have worked in the legal profession for over 30 year d*ckhead.
University education.
Crawl back under your rock.
Take it to court - the reporters cant be charged for reporting the truth.
Green wouldn't want to go back to court. He's already been found guilty of assault and substance abuse.

As for assaulting a Collingwood or Richmond player on field, their teammates would fly the flag better than what the Dogs did is what I'm saying.
I certainly think doggies could have flown the flag more aggressively. We were out-mauled. That's gotta be part of our off season program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just incongruous with other suspensions handed out this year. From my club I'm like WTF... Soldo got a week for the slightest bumper bar when Worpel (IIRC) stepped into his path and initiated contact... yet Greene walks free for deliberately attacking a player lying on the ground.
Exactly. If they are deliberately trying to confuse us with inconsistency so we don't expect any consistency it's working.

Give it up mate, I'm not going back to 1st year law school to argue with you. Your car analogy is ridiculous and not pertinent at all.

In this case:
Accused of eye-gouging an opponent - charged with "serious misconduct" - proofs of the offence established - found guilty.
If you committed the same act on the street - eye-gouging - charged with assault if the act meets proofs of the offence- if established - found guilty.

Just because their is no specific offence labelled "eye-gouging" doesn't mean you can't be charged with a different offence for that act "serious misconduct" in the case of the AFL tribunal, or "assault" in the case of State law. As long as you meet the proofs of those offences you can be charged with them and if proven found
guilty.

Green found guilty of "serious misconduct" at the AFL tribunal for his act of eye-gouging an opponent. (ergo: Green is still an eye-gouger)
The penalty is still insufficient for the offence, given the seriousness of this type of act.
Sentencing is also ridiculously lenient given the history of the number and nature of previous offences Green has commited and been found guilty of.

BTW your references to Collingwood are juvenile.
For a 'giant' you really need to grow up.
Not a mental giant in any case.

I'd be getting a new career if you truly have been in the legal industry for 30 years- may I ask, in what role?

The car analogy is less ridiculous than your pseudo-legal posturing. Please enlighten me as to which subject in first year 'law school' (are you american?) you studied such content?

What a load of crap..he payed a $7500 fine because he did it.
I'm suprised he didn't complain about the amount of the fine....after all he only got a fine of $2,500 from the courts for his off-field assault outside a nightclub.

Watch the clip and tell me that nothing was done to Josh Kelly.
Go on.
I’d like to see your true colours.

Why? I wouldn't be bothered building any goodwill with the GW$

Oh didn’t you know? Dogs are secretly all in on the conspiracy with Gil to hand the Premiership to the Giants on a platter!!

Part of the agreement was GWS laying down in the 16’ Prelim and another condition was no other clubs ever signing Coniglio, Whitfield or Cameron.

This was solidified with each player secretly receiving a billion dollars (that’s right a billion) from a secret war chest of TV rights money that has been ingeniously hidden under an elaborate ruse of “Ambassadorial” (Wink wink) payments.

This was all decided over a box of Lambrusco which Beveridge brought to Prahran in 16’ at the annual coaches meeting, where it was also decided to finally throw Richmond a bone and win in 17’ and let WC have something in 18’.

The whole thing is organised and I know it’s true because Gil reiterated this to me last week when we were having dinner with an alien who stopped over via his UFO and is keen to entertain sponsorship opportunities in 2030.

Anyway long story short, goodwill is great between Doggies and Giants, all clubs have agreed to handing us our flag, and Simtron Inc UFO’s will sponsor the Pre Season Cup (yes it’s coming back!) in 2030! 👍

Last edited:
I'd be getting a new career if you truly have been in the legal industry for 30 years- may I ask, in what role?

The car analogy is less ridiculous than your pseudo-legal posturing. Please enlighten me as to which subject in first year 'law school' (are you american?) you studied such content?
Obviously I was being facetious. I didn't do a double degree but did law subjects in the first year of my undergraduate degree.
Went on to do my JD graduate course later.
BTW "Law school" is not a term that is solely attributed to US study. It was always the Law School/Faculty of Law at Melbourne, Monash etc.

Last edited:
Watch the clip and tell me that nothing was done to Josh Kelly.
Go on.
I’d like to see your true colours.
Where did I say nothing was done to GWS players?
Nice attempt at deflection.
Thread is "Toby Greene fronts the Tribunal" not "tell me that nothing was done to Josh Kelly"
What are your views on the Toby Greene incident?

Obviously I was being facetious. I didn't do a double degree but did law subjects in the first year of my undergraduate degree.
Went on to do my JD graduate course later on.
Law school is not a term that is solely attributed to US study btw. It was always the Law School at Melbourne, Monash etc.

You should be entitled to a HECS refund! Happy to send a supporting reference. 👍

No HECS in my day matey...

Well that is not satisfactory at all.

In good faith you’ve completed law subjects in your undergraduate degree but have not been left with any comprehension of libel or defamation procedure.

I think this could be an interesting test case for a possible class action against your educational institution?

Did they at least sift through the Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co contract law case of 1892?

This is a shambles, you deserve retribution. 👎

Last edited:
Well that is not satisfactory at all.

In good faith you’ve completed law subjects in your undergraduate degree but have not been left with any comprehension of libel or defamation procedure.

I think this could be an interesting test case for a possible class action against your educational institution?

Did they at least sift through the Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co contract law case of 1892?

This is a shambles and some Australia we are living in. 👎
No need to be rude as well as ignorant Andre.

The only person subject to a writ is Toby Greene himself (and his mate and the plaintiffs employer) by the victim of his assault in 2014.

“The plaintiff was dragged down stairs, repeatedly punched and kicked, struck with a crutch, pushed to the ground, pinned on the ground, and placed in a chokehold and/or headlock manoeuvre using legs,” the court documents claim. - Thats Toby Greene and his mate on a night out.
Was charged by Police with - Intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, affray, assault in company, assault by kicking, assault with a weapon, unlawful assault and making threats to inflict serious injury. (...but hey no eye-gouging).
At the time Greene pleaded guilty to assault at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court and was fined $2500 without conviction.
(GWS gave him a 5 week club suspension before the case was even heard - used to help mitigate his eventual sentence. Big deal he was injured at the time.)

Same again on the football field, Greene once again does a despicable act, pleads guilty and only receives a fine.
Obviously "serious misconduct" is not treated seriously by the AFL tribunal when sentencing recidivists with 16 prior convictions.

Interestingly all this talk of defamation is not coming from GWS but from biased fans.
Sure, procedurally he could issue a writ like anyone can, but he'd find it very hard to get a judgement in his favour
Defamation? - There's nothing left of Greenes reputation to protect. :p
Serial offender.
Thug.
Shame - he can actually play football.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back