Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't the AFL literally the prosecution?
Presumably it's more like the AFL's football operations department.

Is there some independent body that has nothing to do with the AFL making the judgement?

The tribunal is also appointed by the AFL, no?

If there's meant to be some sober, impartial process, you can't have the CEO saying "nah it should be 6 weeks". He's effectively directing the tribunal. I don't think that's fair.

He should have offered a boilerplate response about protecting umpires while refusing to discuss the specific sanction in a case pending appeal.

Last edited:

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
So Greene should have grabbed the umpire and it would have only been a fine.

But brushing passed him so lightly the umpire didnt have an issue with it must be 3 or even 6 weeks.

While potentially CTE causing concussions from dangerous tackles are ignored.

Clearly the AFL have their priorities right.

Happy to discuss the AFL potentially missing the mark on dangerous tackles in an appropriate thread. It has no relevance or bearing here.

We’ll have to disagree on the severity and manner of the umpire conduct. Bear in mind the majority agree it was at the upper end of the threshold of deliberate umpire conduct and also all the other incidents listed received a punishment that most would accept was appropriate for the action.

Again, equating this contact towards the umpire to contact towards a player is missing the point entirely. It’s important for all levels of the game and even others that the governing body of Australia’s national sport sends a message that this is not acceptable behaviour and won’t be tolerated.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Happy to discuss the AFL potentially missing the mark on dangerous tackles in an appropriate thread. It has no relevance or bearing here.

We’ll have to disagree on the severity and manner of the umpire conduct. Bear in mind the majority agree it was at the upper end of the threshold of deliberate umpire conduct and also all the other incidents listed received a punishment that most would accept was appropriate for the action.

Again, equating this contact towards the umpire to contact towards a player is missing the point entirely. It’s important for all levels of the game and even others that the governing body of Australia’s national sport sends a message that this is not acceptable behaviour and won’t be tolerated.

But it was tolerated when a bloody Neale grabbed an umpire. Dusty has done it too.

2 guys who are always a chance for a Brownlow got significantly less penalty...

KAG11

Cancelled
May 31, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Lmao the older kids used to walk into us younger lads with their shoulders like that in high school all the time, in my opinion it's an intentional tough-guy act. There might not be much in it from an impact point of view but Greene is taking the piss if he's claiming that wasn't deliberate.
That's so funny because I have always said that Greene reminds me of a school yard b
So Greene should have grabbed the umpire and it would have only been a fine.

But brushing passed him so lightly the umpire didnt have an issue with it must be 3 or even 6 weeks.

While potentially CTE causing concussions from dangerous tackles are ignored.

Clearly the AFL have their priorities right.
This and the other commentary claiming that "there was nothing in it" makes me think I have encouraged my 5 year old into the wrong code! The umpire is sacrosanct and this sort of BS should be punished severely. Of course contact with the head, is the utmost priority as far as physical safety, but respecting the umpire is the highest priority on the ethical side.

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
But it was tolerated when a bloody Neale grabbed an umpire. Dusty has done it too.

2 guys who are always a chance for a Brownlow got significantly less penalty...

It wasn’t tolerated, they were punished. If either had infringed in such a disrespectful, confrontational and aggressive manner like Toby, they would have received a similar punishment.

I accept it can be argued that Neale probably deserved a greater sanction, but so can Greene’s incident.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It wasn’t tolerated, they were punished. If either had infringed in such a disrespectful, confrontational and aggressive manner like Toby, they would have received a similar punishment.

I accept it can be argued that Neale probably deserved a greater sanction, but so can Greene’s incident.

It isnt disrespectful to grab an umpire by the arm? So grabbing an umpire is at the lower end of naughtiness and so you should only get a small fine?

Whilst I think Greene got off light I do not like the idea that the AFL can appeal. The AFL should remain as impartial as possible.
The AFL is like the State. It has the right to appeal a Tribunal decision just as the player / team does but only on defined grounds. It’s the only way the system can work.

The fact the Tribunal didn’t give Greene 6 weeks as Gleeson wanted tells me the process works.

At the end of the day I suspect Gill was posturing when he spoke about the inadequacy of the penalty last night. I don’t think there will be an appeal by the AFL or by Greene/GWS. The rules will be tightened up and we all move on

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
The AFL is like the State. It has the right to appeal a Tribunal decision just as the player / team does but only on defined grounds. It’s the only way the system can work.

The fact the Tribunal didn’t give Greene 6 weeks as Gleeson wanted tells me the process works.

At the end of the day I suspect Gill was posturing when he spoke about the inadequacy of the penalty last night. I don’t think there will be an appeal by the AFL or by Greene/GWS. The rules will be tightened up and we all move on

Perhaps mate but the AFL has form. The successfully had Bachar Houli’s suspension doubled a few years back when they didn’t like the outcome.

I expect an appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DT_35

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Denver, Liverpool
this narrative shits me. If you think it’s not at least a week off, then god help you, and thereafter club affiliation is almost irrelevant (Melbourne fans are more conflicted than we are).

I’d like to see the full 6 weeks. Need to have some lines in the sand in our game.

lol I think it’s minimum 4 weeks, my comment is more to the point of Geelong fans were in here straight away 😅

lol I think it’s minimum 4 weeks, my comment is more to the point of Geelong fans were in here straight away 😅
How was it ironic that Geelong supporters posted in this thread? As others including myself have said this was always going to be a suspension, so whether it was 2, 4 6 or 8 weeks was neither here nor there. Just because Geelong plays GWS this week does that mean we shouldn't comment? I think you'll find supporters of all clubs have entered into the debate

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
It isnt disrespectful to grab an umpire by the arm? So grabbing an umpire is at the lower end of naughtiness and so you should only get a small fine?
Who grabbed an umpire?? Neale certainly didnt.
Screenshot at 2021-09-01 07-00-59.png

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

No, there’s probably an element of disrespect in Neale’s actions. However, simply because two actions contain elements of disrespect does not make them equal or automatically comparable.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So you agree that sometimes its okay to be grabbing the umpire? Or in Dusty's case give them a bit of a shove?

That's not what the poster said at all.

The Greene incident was significantly worse than Neale's. Then you add Greene's record which is the worst in current football and you get the outcome that was forthcoming.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's not what the poster said at all.

The Greene incident was significantly worse than Neale's. Then you add Greene's record which is the worst in current football and you get the outcome that was forthcoming.

So if Neale had done what Greene did then it would be maybe just a week because he is a usually a good guy?

This is exactly the problem with the AFL. There are so many grey areas that they have built in to allow them to decide whatever outcome they want based on whatever they think will work best for them.

The AFLPA should be demanding clear and concise rules which treat every player equally. But they wont, because half their funding comes from the AFL.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Having not thought about it too much I just thought it would be 1 week. Players shouldn’t make intentional contact with umpires regardless of how minimal it is.

Feel like 3 weeks was more because they wanted to make sure he didn’t play again this year.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So if Neale had done what Greene did then it would be maybe just a week because he is a usually a good guy?

This is exactly the problem with the AFL. There are so many grey areas that they have built in to allow them to decide whatever outcome they want based on whatever they think will work best for them.

The AFLPA should be demanding clear and concise rules which treat every player equally. But they wont, because half their funding comes from the AFL.

Maybe Neale gets 2 weeks and Greene gets a 50% loading because of his record.

Why do you think courts take into consideration a guilty person's record before they hand down their sentence?

If you were an active participant in life then you'd know that is how the system works. And more importantly, how it also should work. Recidivists pay higher tolls for their crimes.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Having not thought about it too much I just thought it would be 1 week. Players shouldn’t make intentional contact with umpires regardless of how minimal it is.

Feel like 3 weeks was more because they wanted to make sure he didn’t play again this year.

No, 3 weeks is because he has a record as long as the Hume Freeway.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe Neale gets 2 weeks and Greene gets a 50% loading because of his record.

Why do you think courts take into consideration a guilty person's record before they hand down their sentence?

If you were an active participant in life then you'd know that is how the system works. And more importantly, how it also should work. Recidivists pay higher tolls for their crimes.

But Neale did make intentional contact and got a fine. Dusty made intentional contact and got a fine. If the AFL was serious, then any intentional contact (meaning anything beyond a pure accident) should be a 1 week minimum with no maximum.

Dusty made contact with an umpire twice in one year, Im pretty sure (certainly he has done it more than once). How many before he is a recidivist?

Buddy has a history of running through players to get the ball. I dont think he ever gets a penalty loading. If anything, he gets discounts because he is Buddy.

Back