Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
As far as I'm aware, it is a national policy. That means all football- Community Football to the big league

Already covered earlier in the thread, in summary - a four match suspension received at any 'non-AFL' league competition equates to 1 match at AFL level recorded on the National register...

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Which ones deliberately and aggressively bumped into an umpire like that and got fewer weeks?

FTFY
Lachie Neale is not an irrelevant comparison

Went after the umpire to have a sad about a missed free

The action needs to be stamped out

Not pick and choose who to punish based on their history

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet other offenders at top level have received much less than Greene

Lachie Neale is a great example. Having a sad that a free was missed and making intentional contact with the umpire. Did not get 6 weeks
Neale probably should have got more, but his umpire contact was not even in the same postcode as Greene’s. Greene finally copped his right whack.

Last edited:

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Which ones deliberately and aggressively bumped into an umpire like that and got fewer weeks?
Mustn't be the same vision I saw, if that's considered aggressive. I guess the AFL did, and that's all that matters. More important than a deliberate swinging punch to a player. Some are disappointed because he should have got a life ban apparently.

Wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that Stevic got a talking to about walking up and standing in front of Greene, not making any attempt himself to move out of the way and expecting Greene to move away, who didn't end up changing direction (which I guess is "deliberate and aggressive" behaviour)

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Mustn't be the same vision I saw, if that's considered aggressive. I guess the AFL did, and that's all that matters. More important than a deliberate swinging punch to a player. Some are disappointed because he should have got a life ban apparently.

Wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that Stevic got a talking to about walking up and standing in front of Greene, not making any attempt himself to move out of the way and expecting Greene to move away, who didn't end up changing direction (which I guess is "deliberate and aggressive" behaviour)

Mate that is aggressive.

Eyeballing someone as you walk toward them, then instead of walking around, you shoulder them on the way past, is aggressive.

If you don't believe me go out in public and try it out on people and let me know how you go.

Actually probs best not to do that.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that Stevic got a talking to about walking up and standing in front of Greene, not making any attempt himself to move out of the way and expecting Greene to move away, who didn't end up changing direction (which I guess is "deliberate and aggressive" behaviour).

Nice story.....

1633581578342.jpeg

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There should be no contact at all, especially not intentional contact

Rub it out of the sport don't pick and choose who to punish

Agreed. BUT there are degrees of contact and degrees of disrespect to the umpire. On that basis Greene’s offence was far worse than Neale’s, and deserved what he got. You may as well say all punches are the same no matter the force and the outcome, and therefore should all attract the same penalty.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The quarter was over so play was OVER.
He walked toward the umpire from a long way away while having an animated conversation.
He wasn't coerced or shuffled into the umpire and the umpire didn't move into his path.
He DELIBERATELY shouldered past the umpire instigating contact.

YOU DON'T TOUCH UMPIRES DELIBERATELY!!!!!!
You certainly don't shoulder past them at qtr or half time.

6 weeks, take it and get on with it. Oh and TG you are too good a player and important to your team to be continually pushing the limits and being a flog.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
6 weeks, take it and get on with it. Oh and TG you are too good a player and important to your team to be continually pushing the limits and being a flog.

exactly, hopefully this is the last kick up the arse he needs to pull his head in and we can enjoy watching him be the brilliant footballer he is.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Oh and TG you are too good a player and important to your team to be continually pushing the limits and being a flog.
This is the other thing! He's such a good player. He doesn't need to do any dodgy schitte.

If he cleaned up his act he'd be one of the most popular players in the league; one of those reasons why we love following this great game.

Patronus

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm
Oh, I know it used to a 50% reduction but I thought the AFL went the other way and made it 75%...?

It says it in the rules that were posted before It is 25% reduction for AFL suspensions so 6 weeks would count as 4.5 games in other leagues.

The 25% only comes in from games starting in the 2018 season so he would be able to get 50% off games he was suspended for before then.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Better but still well under IMO.

True, but we also know that the next time a Brownlow favourite makes intentional contact with an umpire they will go back to giving out a fine. Like Dusty and Neale.

But if someone like Sicily makes intentional contact with an umpire it will be 6 weeks again.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
The quarter was over so play was OVER.
He walked toward the umpire from a long way away while having an animated conversation.
He wasn't coerced or shuffled into the umpire and the umpire didn't move into his path.
He DELIBERATELY shouldered past the umpire instigating contact.

YOU DON'T TOUCH UMPIRES DELIBERATELY!!!!!!
You certainly don't shoulder past them at qtr or half time.

I don't think anyone is saying it should have been less than 6. I certainly am not

Just that they applied toby tax after giving neale a lettuce leaf tap

Back