Toby Greene vs Chad Wingard - Who is better?

Toby Greene vs Chad Wingard - Who is better?

• Toby Greene

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • Chad Wingard

Votes: 28 24.6%

• Total voters

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Both play similar positions.

Who would you rather have on your team for now and the future?

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair chance I'd probably get along with both like a house on fire if the opportunity arose so it doesn't matter that I find Greene to be partially a flog. I think he is the better footballer but I think Wingard made the better choice by saying he would leave GWS if they chose him.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Greene is a level above in my books. Just a super small forward who does everything at a high level. Other than his propensity to get himself suspended you'd love to have him playing for you.

Wingard's career really hasn't kicked on since he made AA rather unexpectedly in the beginning of his career (i forget whether it was his 2nd or 3rd year). He's now just another pretty good smaller forward type - along with so many others.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Wingard's career really hasn't kicked on since he made AA rather unexpectedly in the beginning of his career (i forget whether it was his 2nd or 3rd year). He's now just another pretty good smaller forward type - along with so many others.

I rated Wingard very highly, but lately he seems to be very under whelming.

Greene at times plays a bit of "unsociable" footy, but he is a very lethal weapon in the forward line.

Wingard is in the area of requiring a rocket.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Probable bias but what Wingard did in the midfield on the second half of this year edges him over for mine

But if they were simply locked injustice f50 then Greene most days of the week

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Would prefer Wingard. Just get that feeling in a big finals moment Wingard would do something special to win the game, or Greene would do something stupid to lose it.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Would prefer Wingard. Just get that feeling in a big finals moment Wingard would do something special to win the game, or Greene would do something stupid to lose it.
I agree on this part - a player's game-winning ability is very high on my demands list. Wingard just has that X-factor that Greene doesn't. Over four quarters of footy though I take Greene, which is why I voted for him.

I'd like to have em both at the Hawks thanks.....Though I would still take Robbie Gray ahead of them both.
there is always one in every thread, isn't there?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I agree on this part - a player's game-winning ability is very high on my demands list. Wingard just has that X-factor that Greene doesn't. Over four quarters of footy though I take Greene, which is why I voted for him.
Greene has a heap of X-factor imo, where he lets himself down is he is a hot-head and you can put him off his game if you get in his head.

If he irons that out of his game, there's no stopping him, ridiculously talented. Wingard to me just doesn't have the same consistency as Greene, although he doesn't lack in the talent factor.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Wingard has struggled with injury to be fair. Voted Greene and do think he is better, but if Wingard can get a good run at it and back to his best it's a close one.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Wingard has struggled with injury to be fair.

Has he really? He's missed 12 games total in six seasons.

Wingards form has dropped, not as damaging as he was.

Well, if people actually watched Port Adelaide this year, they'd see that he basically swapped roles with Robbie Gray, and is spending far more time in the midfield than he had prior. Is just as damaging and effective in a playmaking role as he is as a goalkicker.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Well up until 2016 he was playing pretty solid football consistently. In 2016 he was missing sporadic games and was clearly not playing the same kind of footy as he had up until then. This season he was very good in the first 8 rounds playing mostly as a midfielder then I believe he injured his ankle? Didn't spend too long out but was off the pace a little when he returned before finding some really good form in the last 8 rounds including a couple of top class performances.

Greene has clearly overtaken him in the last two seasons, I just don't think the gap is as wide it may appear to some.

On a side note, these two would be right up there for me in the "have a set shot to spare your life" stakes as well.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Well, if people actually watched Port Adelaide this year, they'd see that he basically swapped roles with Robbie Gray, and is spending far more time in the midfield than he had prior. Is just as damaging and effective in a playmaking role as he is as a goalkicker.

And I don't quite understand why they did that. To me, Gray is a better midfielder while they're both gun forwards.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
And I don't quite understand why they did that. To me, Gray is a better midfielder while they're both gun forwards.

Probably playing with an eye to the future, given that Gray is 29 (30 early next season), and might need his workload managed (due to previous injuries) to prolong his career, and also give the next generation (Wingard, SPP, etc.) more time on the ball.

Back