Play Nice Toby Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

A contrived outcome if ever I saw one. The action alone of pulling a players head up by the hair then slamming it back down in to the turf would have seen any other player suspended, yet the AFL recommendation was a fine. The AFL clearly want their league sponsored team in the Grand Final.

Maybe he should have just put someone in a choke hold and body slammed them into a fence - that’s only $1,000 apparently.

Hair pulling for an Essendon player = $1,000

The “prosecution” didn’t even call for a suspension. He did add a few extra K on because he was guilty of being Toby Greene but I’m yet to see any footage that shows any eye gouging.

For what it’s worth - to me eye gouging should be minimum 12 weeks.

But it wasn’t eye gauging and some people just need to get over themselves and stop overreacting any time the name Toby Greene is mentioned.

Maybe he should have just put someone in a choke hold and body slammed them into a fence - that’s only $1,000 apparently.

Hair pulling for an Essendon player = $1,000

The “prosecution” didn’t even call for a suspension. He did add a few extra K on because he was guilty of being Toby Greene but I’m yet to see any footage that shows any eye gouging.

For what it’s worth - to me eye gouging should be minimum 12 weeks.

But it wasn’t eye gauging and some people just need to get over themselves and stop overreacting any time the name Toby Greene is mentioned.
Said the protected species

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d have to seriously now question the legitimacy of the tribunal and what their priorities are. I mean even if he didn’t eye gouge, what about grabbing the head and shoving it into the ground? For a guy with a serious wrap sheet that’s pretty incomprehensible to receive a $7,500 fine.

Staggering.

It's such a fu...ng joke of a decision ! Talented player but such a dirty grub. The whole footy world will be on the Lions

If Sicily did this he'd be in The Hague by now. Said incident isn't as bad as everyone is making out but it deserved at least a week.
The afl has inadvertently given carte blanche for players to manipulate their opponent's face with their hand, pull their hair and throw them into the fence. The funny thing will be watching auskickers imitating all 3 actions this week.

It's hard to see this as anything other than corrupt.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence... or something.

But yeah, amateur hour once again. If this was so serious, why rush it to the tribunal same day instead of giving the AFL "prosecutor" time tp prepare the case? Rushed, half-arse job.

Let’s set aside the eye gouging accusation, because some could argue that’s inconclusive.

What’s clear is that he was pulling someone’s hair and then using that leverage to push his head into the ground - while that player was vulnerable and couldn’t defend himself.

That it’s not worth a week is mind boggling. Don’t worry kids, during finals this weekend feel free to do the same without threat of suspension. The governing body tasked with the integrity of the game says it’s fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back