Play Nice Toby Greene

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
The footage looked terrible, but there wasn't proof of eye gouging so I wish people would stop acting like there was.

Let's face it, the Giants have been beating Dogs teams up physically for years. They have a bunch of thugs like Greene and Cameron who excel at it. Doesn't mean you can't beat them where it counts though - on the scoreboard. It's the Dogs fault that we didn't run on Saturday. Can't blame Greene for that.

Also Bont wasn't injured from that incident, and at least it was in retaliation to a rough tackle. That's better than some of GWS' thug efforts in the past.

I don't care whether Greene gets suspended or not. I just hope we get a chance to send them home in a PF again.
Have you guys made it back to Melbourne yet or are you typing this from the bus?

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Bont incident with Haynes was a football incident, not one bit of malice or intent. Stuff happens in footy, it’s not footy anymore if Bont gets rubbed out for that. With Greene, it’s never a football incident but always dirty, low and malicious. His record on and off the field speaks for itself.
I find it very impressive how confident Footscray supporters are in assessing the Bont's latest dog act as one of innocence but those of his opponents as the opposite.

Nick Lions

All Australian
Sep 15, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting Greene has gotten off with a fine when the following was handed down tonight. Yes I understand different code, but the act doesn’t look any more malicious, nor does the action look much worse. Eight week suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find it very impressive how confident Footscray supporters are in assessing the Bont's latest dog act as one of innocence but those of his opponents as the opposite.
Obvious or obnoxious troll, take you pick. Bont is totally a ball player, already a champion, we know small minds....and hearts struggle with jealousy over such good people. But I suppose that’s the internet these days.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Obvious or obnoxious troll, take you pick. Bont is totally a ball player, already a champion, we know small minds....and hearts struggle with jealousy over such good people. But I suppose that’s the internet these days.
Bont isn't Gandhi.
I assume that in your mind he was somehow playing the ball when he busted Haynes's larynx.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Interesting Greene has gotten off with a fine when the following was handed down tonight. Yes I understand different code, but the act doesn’t look any more malicious, nor does the action look much worse. Eight week suspension.

The difference in sentencing is probably because one involved an eye gouge and one didn’t.

BTW I reckon Young got off light with only 8 weeks, should have got 12 at least - it was his second time up this year for the same offence (got 5 the first time round) - and you’ll notice one of my “other teams” is the Raiders so I have no issue with calling for lengthy suspensions of my own players.

Please remember that the Bulldogs, the AFL counsel and the tribunal all said there was no eye gouge, and any suggestion there was an eye gouge in the Toby Greene case is complete rubbish.

Argue the merits of whether a fine is suitable for hair pulling and general rough conduct or choking someone and throwing them into a fence or whatever - argue whether his prior record should have added to the fine turning it into a suspension, there’s lots of stuff you can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about - but don’t invent s#*t that didn’t happen to boost your outrage.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL were never going to suspend anyone from GWS, particularly their star players. The AFL wants them to go all the way. Toby Greene could have knocked out 5 players with his elbows and knees and wouldn't have been suspended. What the AFL wants the AFL gets.

Now.. They have Brisbane this week.. another young team, and their hardest player Mitch Robinson is out, so there aren't many guys to give it back to the GWS thugs. Maybe Hodgey. But if they do beat Brisbane.. let's see Tobes do that crap to Pies players in front of 90k Collingwood fans. Watch Maynard and Adams polax the clown, it would be hilarious!

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
The AFL were never going to suspend anyone from GWS, particularly their star players. The AFL wants them to go all the way. Toby Greene could have knocked out 5 players with his elbows and knees and wouldn't have been suspended. What the AFL wants the AFL gets.

Now.. They have Brisbane this week.. another young team, and their hardest player Mitch Robinson is out, so there aren't many guys to give it back to the GWS thugs. Maybe Hodgey. But if they do beat Brisbane.. let's see Tobes do that crap to Pies players in front of 90k Collingwood fans. Watch Maynard and Adams polax the clown, it would be hilarious!
The same AFL that allow punter Stephenson a nice run run around prior to the finals, even though he was suspended? That suspended half the sentence so he could play finals?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Oh please. Protected pies having a whinge is hilarious.

Nup
It’s a swinging hand to the face and the he pushes his hand back in his face.
You can’t see that Greene eye gouged.
What I’d point out is the Rugby player made a decision to do that.
Greene didn’t make a decision he just can’t stop himself and thats my beef with it.
The club would rather use that to try and win games cause when he stays in control he’s top 5% of players but he doesn’t know when he’s gonna lose his sh.t but his actions show there’s no turning back if he lets go.
It’s very simple for me, if your not good enough to play in the rules you can sit down and watch.
Greene isn’t good enough to stay in the rules.
The other thing I don’t think there would have been as much in it if Bontempelli had’ve been suspended for a shoulder to the throat after he decided to bump.
Took a good player out for the rest of the season.
Should’ve gone for weeks.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Nup
It’s a swinging hand to the face and the he pushes his hand back in his face.
You can’t see that Greene eye gouged.
What I’d point out is the Rugby player made a decision to do that.
Greene didn’t make a decision he just can’t stop himself and thats my beef with it.
The club would rather use that to try and win games cause when he stays in control he’s top 5% of players but he doesn’t know when he’s gonna lose his sh.t but his actions show there’s no turning back if he lets go.
It’s very simple for me, if your not good enough to play in the rules you can sit down and watch.
Greene isn’t good enough to stay in the rules.
Neither is Bont.

Edit: i see you have edited your post.

Last edited:

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I think anyone in the media who brought eye-gouging into the discussion when there was zero evidence of it should be suspended from reporting for a few weeks.
yeah, I listened for this in the AFL Exchange podcast with Twomey, Beveridge and the other numpty. If they called out Greene for his actions, which they jumped onto immediately, then by equal measure, they should have called out the false reporting of their own industry which fuelled the flames of outrage burning up the Hume. Nothing at all on the irresponsibility of that report from (that guy Stevo?)

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

You’re absolutely dreaming. You can see the Canberra bloke wipe a part of his iris on his shorts he gouged that hard.

Nick Lions

All Australian
Sep 15, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You’re absolutely dreaming. You can see the Canberra bloke wipe a part of his iris on his shorts he gouged that hard.

Yeah, ok. That happened... He made contact to the face and most probably the eye, that is clear. But he hardly digs his fingers into his sockets. The Raiders player deserves a suspension for the act. However the AFL is soft as butter on this s**t. Greene pulls his hair, shoves his face into the turf and makes contact with the face. It’s grubby and a bad look. If Greene did what he did to Bontempelli in the NRL he would have been gone. On Bontempelli, he should have gotten a holiday for the karate moves on Haynes too.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, ok. That happened... He made contact to the face and most probably the eye, that is clear. But he hardly digs his fingers into his sockets. The Raiders player deserves a suspension for the act. However the AFL is soft as butter on this s**t. Greene pulls his hair, shoves his face into the turf and makes contact with the face. It’s grubby and a bad look. If Greene did what he did to Bontempelli in the NRL he would have been gone. On Bontempelli, he should have gotten a holiday for the karate moves on Haynes too.

Hardly. It was a head slam in responce to Bont backslaming and facial massaging a team mate after 3 weeks earlier breaking another team mates larynx.

Really worried about an almost full strength Giants eh?

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
would the AFL as a product be boring and unattractive to the general public without Toby Green ?

there is a strong Nick Kyrgios effect here ,in his early days Nick was quietly urged on to "keep going" by important figures in Australian tennis "its good for the game" , and lets be honest if we had 200 Federer's playing the game of tennis would be too sanitised and be boring

The AFL have fort hard to protect Toby Green , he is our villain, that sells tickets , news papers and fox sports subscriptions
we want to boo him
then he decides to do the face kicking thing
any adult that can chew gum and walk and then looks at the footage will tell you it was deliberate and repeated and abhorrent
the AFL are backed into a serious corner , their hand is forced and he has to be suspended

and now this choice little episode
he lays on top of a player and repeatedly pulls his hair and repeated rakes his hands across his face
his actions were total aggression , they were repeated and they were in now way protecting himself or a team mate

The AFL defence is "did he actually gouge ?"

so if he didnt get his finger nail into the other players eyes then it is perfectly ok , you can play next week Toby , its fine by us
thats what we like to see , you will stir up a lot of controversy, it will make us money , WE LOVE YOU TOBY

as for the rest of the football world do we register our disapproval by boycotting the rest of the finals series ?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

So how do you feel about somebody, hypothetically speaking, being grabbed by the throat and body slammed into a fence?

I hear the going rate for something like that is $1,000

Toby was fined 7 and a half times that for something way less dangerous - but hey, whatever you reckon champ.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Pre-ordained result. AFL decided to ignore its own match review panel, offered up a fine as their ambit claim. Of course he accepted that. Pleading guilty meant no evidence was needed and the panel couldn't question the fine offer.

LOL!!

Any GW$ fan claiming hes absolved has clearly not given this any thought. This is a s**t precedent. Hope the League is happy to see more of this in future.

BTW before the GW$ apologist says it; NicNat was reacting, not premeditated like the Grub, and he didn't do the double face attack like the grub, Haynes larynx clearly not broken in the accident with Bonty, lol he played out the game and was back after a week FFS.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Pre-ordained result. AFL decided to ignore its own match review panel, offered up a fine as their ambit claim. Of course he accepted that. Pleading guilty meant no evidence was needed and the panel couldn't question the fine offer.

LOL!!

Any GW$ fan claiming hes absolved has clearly not given this any thought. This is a s**t precedent. Hope the League is happy to see more of this in future.

BTW before the GW$ apologist says it; NicNat was reacting, not premeditated like the Grub, and he didn't do the double face attack like the grub, Haynes larynx clearly not broken in the accident with Bonty, lol he played out the game and was back after a week FFS.
Good old one eye.

Greene reacted to that scum Bont backslamming a team mate and giving him a face rub. Over did it? Yep hense the fine.

Hayne was out for 3 weeks not next week.

By your reasoning Bont played out the game and would of played this week if the dogs weren't neutered, as such Greene has nothing to answer for. Which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back