Toby Greene

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I disagree. He is good because he is hard and competitive and physical. It's not that he is good and is choosing these things but rather he is good because he does. If we want to accept him as an elite player I think we need to accept that he will cross the line as well

Yep but that's only because his never forgotten these words

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
I disagree. He is good because he is hard and competitive and physical. It's not that he is good and is choosing these things but rather he is good because he does. If we want to accept him as an elite player I think we need to accept that he will cross the line as well

But he is better than that. If he was a scrubber and needed to get in peoples heads and impose himself physically on them to play better I'd agree with that but the kid is actually a mercurial talent in his own right. His ability to mark, find space and hit the scoreboard is second to none and nothing to do with him clocking blokes. I think this notion that he needs to do that is completely off the mark.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
In practice we need him as an agressive player. If he keeps trangressing it will limit his caŕeer. He has to be abke to go to the edge and know when to stop.
I hope like Jezza he spends his suspension in a training programme. If that's a coach, anger management whatever is the club, and his, call.
He doesn't have such a bad record but he has been on the verge of trouble for a bit, and the scruriny wont go away, even though it's unfair
We need him and cant afford to have him regularly on the sidelines

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
But he is better than that. If he was a scrubber and needed to get in peoples heads and impose himself physically on them to play better I'd agree with that but the kid is actually a mercurial talent in his own right. His ability to mark, find space and hit the scoreboard is second to none and nothing to do with him clocking blokes. I think this notion that he needs to do that is completely off the mark.
Stevie J, Luke hodge, Jordan Lewis

Where is a massive list of players who are good because they play on the edge. Doing that means one will transgress. Leon actually said this week he is ok with Toby playing like that. If you play like that there will be suspensions. I'm ok with it. If he doesn't play like that he isn't as good

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It's a shame he won't win the Brownlow this year. Get on him now for the Norm Smith though...

Snookers

Club Legend
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Garry Lyon singing his praises right now on SEN, putting him in the Buddy category as far as match-winning players go.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
What character....

image.jpeg

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Great player.One simple thing he does better than almost anyone is he reads the play.Cant teach this but if it could be taught Stevie J would be the coach.
He will always be disliked by opposition players as he's that small forward you just get annoyed by.Even Tobes said he would hate to play against himself

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Great player.One simple thing he does better than almost anyone is he reads the play.Cant teach this but if it could be taught Stevie J would be the coach.
He will always be disliked by opposition players as he's that small forward you just get annoyed by.Even Tobes said he would hate to play against himself

It sucks so many people (opposition fans usually) have a dislike for him. That "hit" he got suspended for was soft as butter. He plays the game well, that is why we watch right?

It sucks so many people (opposition fans usually) have a dislike for him. That "hit" he got suspended for was soft as butter. He plays the game well, that is why we watch right?

Not me, love watching him play. Fav player outside the pies ATM

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
Not me, love watching him play. Fav player outside the pies ATM
Great contest between he and Robertson last night. Loved that they had that little low five moment. Showing respect while push each other hard. Don't know much about Robertson, but shows a little more maturity developing in Toby's game.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Great contest between he and Robertson last night. Loved that they had that little low five moment. Showing respect while push each other hard. Don't know much about Robertson, but shows a little more maturity developing in Toby's game.
Agree, I too thought it showed respect and acknowledgement of an opponent with whom he'd had a terrific tussle. Robinson put the heat on Tobes, some pushing & shoving at times and Toby kicked 4 goals but was pushed hard all night - in all, great footy and that's what Toby likes to be involved in. Nice little moment.

Back