List Mgmt. Toby McLean Re-Signs 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Pity there is no stat in Football for nous and smarts as Toby would excel in both.

Watching the final series again made me more appreciative of him as a player and what he brings and he was a key to our success.

Nice to hear he has decided to re-sign. I am glad we will be seeing him in the Red White and Blue applying his craft.

Love that he always seems to have that zip/energy even late in games when everyone is tiring. Actually noticed the same thing with Zaine in some of the finals too

I understand what you are saying gansta deluxe, but in round 9
Vs GWS Zac Williams ran past and did not tackle, but Toby
still went into his move by himself and it looked so bad
It may have looked bad, but it was an effective evasive action. Surely dodging a potential tackler is a good thing.

But that's just it: it isn't cheating.

Perhaps it should be, but that is another debate. I think questions about the (lack of) morality on his behalf are a bit overblown as well. It is a sport, it is within the rules, and the only person he risks hurting is himself by doing it.

Toby should maximise what he can bring to the team with that move until they outlaw it.

When the umps stop awarding it he will stop doing it. Simple as that. Dont hate the player; hate the game (don't really though cause footy is awesome)

Toby gets into a low position when a tackler comes towards him and cops genuinely high contact more often than not. This is not cheating in the slightest. It's cheating when you dive or throw your head back when you don't actually get hit above the shoulder. It's pretty clear cut to me.

It may have looked bad, but it was an effective evasive action. Surely dodging a potential tackler is a good thing.
Dodging a potential tackle is fine bobby2, but lifting up your left arm
and flopping on the ground when the player does not touch you is
almost as bad as the Tyrone Vickery attempted mark when the ball
was 100 metres away, at least Vickery was concussed in his
defence. I like Toby McLean as a player and a super talent, but
going down the Lindsay Thomas path is not a path to credibility.

I have no problem with how He draws free kicks in fact I think he does it better than anyone including deadwood ... he puts his head over it and goes hard. His last quarter against GWS was simply sensational... This kid is going to be special....And he ain't no cheat!!

Toby McLean is a good player and deserves his extension,
but it would be nice to cut out the drop and lift tactic for
countering tackles as it makes me sick to watch people
openly flaunt the rules of the game.

Until the rule changes, then you do whatever you can to keep possession of the ball.

I understand what you are saying gansta deluxe, but in round 9
Vs GWS Zac Williams ran past and did not tackle, but Toby
still went into his move by himself and it looked so bad i mean
genuinely embarrassing Commetti was trying to find words to
describe it and in the end said " Oh,went to ground a bit
easy there". It was horrific. In the end certain players should
wear a badge that says " Do not tackle, will cheat ".

He is not cheating if there's no rule to cheat?

Excellent news with him re-signing.

Re: the head ducking/shoulder dropping thing that him, Selwood and Thomas are experts at.

The rule as it stands has no problems with them being awarded free kicks for what they do.

Until the rule is changed so a player is not rewarded for drawing high contact, they'll keep being awarded free kicks.

So no, they're not cheating. Just exploiting the rules as they stand.

Bloody annoying when they do it, but not cheating.

Excellent news with him re-signing.

Re: the head ducking/shoulder dropping thing that him, Selwood and Thomas are experts at.

The rule as it stands has no problems with them being awarded free kicks for what they do.

Until the rule is changed so a player is not rewarded for drawing high contact, they'll keep being awarded free kicks.

So no, they're not cheating. Just exploiting the rules as they stand.

Bloody annoying when they do it, but not cheating.

I'd say that Thomas flat out cheats in that regard because he actually dives and fakes contact. Sellwood and McLean just draw the high contact which is super frustrating and something that I wish they wouldn't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time I care about Toby ducking is when he's doing it so a little kid can put a medal around his neck!

I think it is a technique to break the tackle, probably been doing it for years.
Free kick is just a bonus at this stage, change the rules and I don't expect it to change the way he plays.

Hated it when the selwoods did it
Hated it when that idiot from the lions did it
Hated it when Lindsay did it
Hate it more when one of our own does it.

#stopthedamnduck

"Quack, quack..."<bang>

He's a terrific player without the BS and yes it's the AFL's fault. I just can't applaud it.

I think it is a technique to break the tackle, probably been doing it for years.
Free kick is just a bonus at this stage, change the rules and I don't expect it to change the way he plays.

You can't say he's trying to break the tackle when he is wrapping the tacklers arm in his and holding it to his own neck. He is blatantly playing for the free and it's pretty ordinary.

I have hated the way Selwood drays high contact by lifting his shoulder and hate the way McLean does the same. It isn't outside the rules and that's the problem for me. The player isn't being awarded a free for incorrect tackle as many times the tackle has been fine until the ball carrier forces the high contact. They are being awarded a free kick because they force the opponents arm into a high contact situation. I cringe watching one of ours do it.

This is neither outside the rules or cheating. If enough players become good at this then the AFL will be forced to introduce another frkn rule change that requires umpire interpretation and that is a bad outcome for everyone. Every high contact free will require the umpire to make a second split second call on whether the receiver of the tackle contributed to the high contact. The game is difficult enough to umpire as it is.

Wasn't really a problem when guys used to tackle low and around the waist.
Only a problem since tackling to pin the arms began.
Why is the player with the ball being bagged and not the poor tackler?
There was no danger of Franklin forcing Morris tackle above the shoulders.

I personally love it when Toby ducks into a tackle its hilarious watching the other team sooking. Was a perfect way to end the granny with a nice duck into a tackle then doesnt even kick the goal just to show them that he doesnt give a **** about anything. Would marry him in a heartbeat

Sums you up in one paragraph

Absolute gun. Can't wait to see him with a bit more size and confidence this year. He's got the lot.

Another absolute steal by dalrymple.
it wasn't seen as CRAZY we'd take him where we took him, but it certainly wasn't projected. Looking back, and even looking at what we knew then- that he was a rapid improver, played insane in the TAC finals, had no foreseeable weaknesses- it's baffling it was a surprise he was taken at 26. Seems such a common sense pick

Toby is a great young talent. You can say he is not cheating, but as a junior coach I always tell the kids not to play for free kicks. Every time Toby gets tackled he is trying to draw a free kick. Toby is a good enough footballer and has enormous potential. He doesnt need to play for free kicks, would prefer his coaches were telling him that.

Toby Mclean is a godam gun and we should all be rejoicing in the fact that he has re-signed instead of derailing the thread with yet more pages of same old arguments about high tackle free kicks.

I love his sticky hands. One touch players are worth their weight in gold. Can't wait until he starts taking more speccies too.

I love his sharp shooter instincts. His set shots weren't as good this year but his snaps were amazing. So quick at getting ball to boot.

I love how good he is at tackling despite being 65kgs wringing wet.

I love his composure in traffic, and how low, hard and fast he goes in for the ball.

I love his tan.

I love how all this is from a guy who's physically undeveloped, and had two serious injuries derailing his only two seasons. How godam good is he gonna be by the time his contracts up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back