List Mgmt. Toby McLean Re-Signs 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby gets into a low position when a tackler comes towards him and cops genuinely high contact more often than not. This is not cheating in the slightest. It's cheating when you dive or throw your head back when you don't actually get hit above the shoulder. It's pretty clear cut to me.
Exactly. I don't understand why people think he ducks. The tacklers get him high through their poor technique. Toby like you say starts low, the tracklers don't adjust to him. I don't think people watch it properly.

The Toby McLean supporters have won the fight.
Playing for free kicks it is alright.
Those other players who duck are cheats and flogs.
Toby is OK because he plays for the Bulldogs.

Word to your mutha, out.

You assume a lot there. Selwood is the same, if they don't tackle him properly he has the ability to take advantage of it. It's a skill, he doesn't duck into tackles either. For me it's nothing to do with our player is ok and other aren't. I just see it as it is.

There is a big difference between ducking into a tackle and what Mclean and Selwood do. You watch the footage and you will see that the initial contact from the tackler is almost always high to start with. Then as the player drops or shrugs it exaggerates the contact. But the initial contact is what the umps pay.

You assume a lot there. Selwood is the same, if they don't tackle him properly he has the ability to take advantage of it. It's a skill, he doesn't duck into tackles either. For me it's nothing to do with our player is ok and other aren't. I just see it as it is.

There is a big difference between ducking into a tackle and what Mclean and Selwood do. You watch the footage and you will see that the initial contact from the tackler is almost always high to start with. Then as the player drops or shrugs it exaggerates the contact. But the initial contact is what the umps pay.

If you dont wanna give away a high contact free then just tackle them properly. See Clays tackle on Selwood in our second game vs then. He tried to shrug it off and Clay just absolutely flattened him

I personally love it when Toby ducks into a tackle its hilarious watching the other team sooking. Was a perfect way to end the granny with a nice duck into a tackle then doesnt even kick the goal just to show them that he doesnt give a **** about anything. Would marry him in a heartbeat
I love it as well and it is hilarious seeing the opposition players and fans sooking it up,allows me to rise in my cheering. He does nearly get his head completely ripped off at times so players need to tackle lower. Christensen does it well also and people need to tackle him better,don't really have an issue with Selwood,he just goes and gets the ball,maybe Thomas annoys me slightly as he more throws his head into people but that's more the umpires issue. Happy Toby has re signed.
Have no idea why our own supporters don't like it as it's totally within the rules.i used to love Rick Kennedy or Super McPherson punching someone right in the face,that was against the rule but I don't remember to many people actually getting overly upset although if Lockett strangled Kennedy I'd be outraged. I also enjoyed Danny Southern but thought he did many things that were actually outside the rules,I always thought he was a much loved player though by everybody.

Come on TK, i thought my rap was dope. I like Toby McLean as a
player and only want him to be remembered for his play and not
his ability to draw head high contact by thrusting up an arm and
flopping on the ground like a fish freshly landed in the boat.
There is a young fella at Brisbane named Rhys Mathieson who
made his debut last year and what was he famed for his first
game the fact he drew six head high free kicks with his lift,
drop and flop technique.

The example i used of Tobies happened in the round nine game
versus GWS, Zac Williams was hot on Tobies tail when Toby
anticipated the tackle lifted up his arm and flopped to the deck,
only problem was Zac Williams did not tackle him let alone touch
him at all. It left Toby on the ground looking like he was having
a seizure and his opponent looking at him thinking what is wrong
with you mate, embarrassing.

At the end of the day, he is playing for frees. It is a thing that happens. It is not technically cheating, but it certainly does raise moral questions. I am not a fan of it, but I do like McLean. If he played for any other team though he would be my go to example of why there should be a rule change to stop people getting away with playing for frees. I don't think people are right when they suggest it is a skill that people should aspire to hold.

Wasn't really a problem when guys used to tackle low and around the waist.
Only a problem since tackling to pin the arms began.
Why is the player with the ball being bagged and not the poor tackler?
There was no danger of Franklin forcing Morris tackle above the shoulders.
Exactly. If you aim to tackle someone around his shoulders, you should hardly be surprised when it slips high and a free kick is given, especially when it happens so often. You can't tell a player "don't lift your arms to break free when you get tackled" or "don't bend your knees and lower your centre of gravity to evade a tackle". There's a reason our boys don't give away as many high tackle free kicks as most other teams, and it's called good technique.

Lol years of abusing Thomas and Sewood and now we have one people try to condone it.

Haha im amused at flip floppers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He shouldn't do it. We hate it when our opponents do it so why should we accept it when it's one of our own? I love the kid, but I seriously cringe when he drops the legs

Its the umpiring at fault. Someone tries to draw head high contact, its play on. Suddenly trying to draw head high tackles disappears overnight and its a non issue.
The coaches are actually at fault here they are the ones who were
obsessed with the ball and all tackle from rugby league and got
storm players in to teach tackling techniques. The AFL and the
umpires are constantly legislating to fix up or try to correct a
position adopted by the coaches. Don't be surprised if our so
called "Handball Club" is the next thing they have a throw at
so to speak.

He shouldn't do it. We hate it when our opponents do it so why should we accept it when it's one of our own? I love the kid, but I seriously cringe when he drops the legs

I'm the opposite, I think he barely drops his knees. He usually just uses an arm to direct the tacklers' arm upwards, a brave tactic but nothing illegal about it.

Less focus on playing for the free kick, more on discipline. I feel we were very disciplined all season, part of the reason our free ratio was so positive. Also the reason I can't remember many free kicks we gave away for high tackles because we always seemed to go low - the most important technique of tackling

tl;dr - premiers baby woooo!!!

I love watching this kid and i think he will improve heaps next year

His goal just before half time when he kicked it over his shoulder in the gf was amayzing keeping in mind he started the forward thrust by getting the free and 50 on the half back flank.

Good on McLean re-signing. Some talent to work with.

Don't enjoy watching him play for frees. It's within the rules and guys like Selwood have made a career out of it. Hate it though.

Playing for frees is very umpire dependent. I get amused at the shocked and hurt look on players like McLean's face when the free isn't paid. Toby is getting to the stage where umpires will treat him like Thomas (and I don't have a problem with that). Hope his game is good enough to flourish without umpire support.

Vast difference between Selwood and Thomas. Thomas blatently plays for a free, diving, lunging forward or throwing the head back. Selwood wins the hard ball first then makes the most of poor tackle techniques.

McClean very much is in the Selwood mode. Proper tackle techniques and Selwood nor McClean.woild get a free, however they still have the ball in general play as they earnt it.

Thomas on the other hand....

I don't think McLean is playing for frees at all. I think his number 1 intention is to actually break the tackle. And it's actually happened several times where the arm raise has broken the tackle without infringing and he just keeps going with the ball in hand, looking to keep the play moving. He is not gesturing in any way to accentuate any high contact. His intention is to break loose and play on. To me it's a similar tactic as the fend off, used to break tackles except this one has the bonus that it can catch tacklers out when their technique is not sound.

(Disclaimer: I have never bagged Selwood or Thomas so I have a right to post this opinion)

There's nothing wrong with trying to evade a tackle and in doing so, dropping your knees to make it more difficult to be tackled correctly. That's just smart. He's not throwing his head back, diving ect, he still has a real go at the ball. Tacklers just have to concentrate more on their technique when they are about to tackle him, aim lower to avoid the risk of catching him head high.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's nothing wrong with trying to evade a tackle and in doing so, dropping your knees to make it more difficult to be tackled correctly. That's just smart. He's not throwing his head back, diving ect, he still has a real go at the ball. Tacklers just have to concentrate more on their technique when they are about to tackle him, aim lower to avoid the risk of catching him head high.

Agree completely - if opposition fail to tackle low -then they suffer the consequences of giving away a free kick.
Go Toby love your grit and the way you play. In my team every week
chrs
Stephen ( member of 2016 AFL Premiers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back