List Mgmt. Toby McLean Re-Signs 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think McLean is playing for frees at all. I think his number 1 intention is to actually break the tackle. And it's actually happened several times where the arm raise has broken the tackle without infringing and he just keeps going with the ball in hand, looking to keep the play moving. He is not gesturing in any way to accentuate any high contact. His intention is to break loose and play on. To me it's a similar tactic as the fend off, used to break tackles except this one has the bonus that it can catch tacklers out when their technique is not sound.

(Disclaimer: I have never bagged Selwood or Thomas so I have a right to post this opinion)
The fend off comparison is both a very good and intelligent comment :thumbsu:

Disagree. That is the AFL's responsibility to rectify, not his (i.e. they could have a specific rule against that drop, lift and wrap motion).

He should do whatever he can to be a contributor to our team, and that tactic has proved valuable for us on numerous occasions.
And its always in a heavily contested situation so here is a tip for his opponents get to the ball first and its not an issue!!

I don't think McLean is playing for frees at all. I think his number 1 intention is to actually break the tackle. And it's actually happened several times where the arm raise has broken the tackle without infringing and he just keeps going with the ball in hand, looking to keep the play moving. He is not gesturing in any way to accentuate any high contact. His intention is to break loose and play on. To me it's a similar tactic as the fend off, used to break tackles except this one has the bonus that it can catch tacklers out when their technique is not sound.

(Disclaimer: I have never bagged Selwood or Thomas so I have a right to post this opinion)
Agree completley ,your talking my language fp

Is what Toby does the best way to go about it? Winning a loose ball with bent knees and an upright posture? If it was, everybody would do it, and as it happens there are only a handful of serial - 'stay upright and low' types in the league.

Real footy players - correct me if Im wrong, but the reason why coaches say 'put your head over the ball' is so you are hard to move away from the ball / keeps your balance in a collision - which increases your chances of winning the ball.

Is what Toby does the best way to go about it? Winning a loose ball with bent knees and an upright posture? If it was, everybody would do it, and as it happens there are only a handful of serial - 'stay upright and low' types in the league.

Real footy players - correct me if Im wrong, but the reason why coaches say 'put your head over the ball' is so you are hard to move away from the ball / keeps your balance in a collision - which increases your chances of winning the ball.

Actually it is the bending of the knees and strength through the core that gives you the balance and strength through the contest.

Head being down provides eye contact to assist with clean hands. If you can keep your head up and have clean hands you have an advantage with vision for disposal.

Bont actually does this a fair bit too but his size means tackles are naturally lower, however his bent knees and strength through his core makes him harder to tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back