Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
This was really hammered home for me last night. He is almost an epitome of our current struggles and lack of progress over the last three years.

Very smart footballer, agile, tough as nails.

I thought the half forward-role would be perfect for him.

I'd say that thus far he hasn't applied enough pressure or gotten to enough ground balls. A has kicked a limited number of goals and even fewer assists.

Seems like he's not in the current midfield calculations due to our strength there. Probably not a good enough user or has the length that Bevo likes in his halfback's to go back there. Possibly doesn't have the endurance for modern wing role.

Where to from here - Hope he starts to play better in the same role? Move him deeper? Am I wrong and should be back in the middle?

I find quite a few things mystifying at the moment but possibly him most of all.

Last edited:
This was really hammered home for me last night. He is almost an epitome of our current struggles and lack of progress over the last three years.

Very smart footballer, agile, tough as nails.

I thought the half forward-role would be perfect for him.

I'd say that thus far he hasn't applied enough pressure or gotten to enough ground balls. A has kicked a limited number of goals and even fewer assists.

Seems like he's not in the current midfield calculations due to our strength there. Probably not a good enough user or has the length that Bevo likes in his halfback's to go back there. Possibly doesn't have the endurance for modern wing role.

Where to from here - Hope he starts to play better in the same role? Move him deeper? Am I wrong and should be back in the middle?

I find quite a few things mystifying at the moment be possibly him most of all.
Totally agree. Was watching him last night, seems to have regressed badly this season. I think he looks a bit lost in what his role is at the moment and hope they put him back in the middle where he excelled the last year or two.

I was surprised earlier this season when we had Wallis in the guts and McLean forward - in my uneducated view they should have been swapped (I'm 100% certain that the coaching staff know more about where to play him then I do).

Saw someone mention I think in the gameday thread yesterday that he could be carrying something like OP, although I assume that was more of a guess than any actual info.

Again this won’t be popular but I think he is really overrated on here

He is a very handy footballer but some seem to think he is/could be elite.

I’m yet to see that myself and think he is being hurt mostly by being thrown all over the place.

He is a small forward than can pinch hit through the midfield imo and like many of his mates is struggling due to no structure and selection inconsistency

Toby McLean:
Games: 72
Kicks: 680
Handballs: 800
Marks: 275
Goals: 48
Behinds: 42
Tackles: 295
Inside 50's: 216
Rebound 50's: 54
Disposal Efficiency: 73.3%
Metres Gained: 228.3 (mpg)

Without being rude to Toby McLean maybe not a lot of hurt factor in those statistics
perhaps an Eight to Fourteen list placement, not overly tall or fast, a player capable
of massive fluctuations very dependant on the requested role he plays. Was always
going to pale a little with the Libba resurrection. ScragCity has probably downgraded
Toby to Strawberry on the Smoothie Index.

If I could go back in time and tell Beveridge one thing it might be to never let McLean out of the forward line. Too late now, we killed the exciting forward and he's a midfielder through and through. Don't think he's anywhere near as good as other people think though, I didn't have him in the best 22 at the start of the year and I think I stand by that now.

If I could go back in time and tell Beveridge one thing it might be to never let McLean out of the forward line. Too late now, we killed the exciting forward and he's a midfielder through and through. Don't think he's anywhere near as good as other people think though, I didn't have him in the best 22 at the start of the year and I think I stand by that now.

I'd like to know who you had in his place, even if you are still not sure about it !!!

I think Toby is one of those mid-card B grade players who can do some really good things at crucial moments, however he lacks the finesse and skills to be able to maintain a consistent output an an elite level. I certainly wouldnt be dropping him on the basis that his positives outweigh any negatives of his game.

In our current squad he is best 22 everyday of the week mate. But he needs to be giving a clear role and left to it. I’d make him the permanent forward pocket and tell him that’s your spot for the rest of the year.

I'd like to know who you had in his place, even if you are still not sure about it !!!

I had a smaller inside mid rotation, Bont, Dunkley, Macrae, Libba and Wallis. Forward I had Cavarra which was a wrong call.

In our current squad he is best 22 everyday of the week mate. But he needs to be giving a clear role and left to it. I’d make him the permanent forward pocket and tell him that’s your spot for the rest of the year.

Isn't that where he's been playing so far?

I had a smaller inside mid rotation, Bont, Dunkley, Macrae, Libba and Wallis. Forward I had Cavarra which was a wrong call.

Isn't that where he's been playing so far?

Also high half forward and some small midfield time but I think he needs a spot to refine some form. He isn’t a multi position player imo so each time he moves he needs time to adjust.

Look at Dunks, has been given a defined role the last month or so and bang FORM RETURNS

I'm with MD on this. I think he's a tad overrated.

He's averaging only 17.25 disposals compared to 23.86 last year, a drop of over 25% but that is probably a reflection of spending less time in the guts. Nonetheless this year's form does seem to be down a fraction on 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I acknowledge that McLean's form has been pretty ordinary this season and there are many contributors to this forum who are questioning his value. However, before we start to consider trading him here is a sobering consideration: we went hard last trade period for Chad Wingard and were willing to offer him what I assume a lucrative package and yet, on all important comparable statistics thus far, McLean's output has been superior.
Check out the comparisons if you wish:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=11&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=3644&fid1=S&fid2=S

He's just not suited to playing forward. I've always asserted that he was a more natural midfielder even back in his first year. He's just lost confidence playing a position he isn't suited to which has caused a drop in form. I'm hoping he will pick up Libba's midfield minutes while he's out with the knee injury and recapture his 2018 form. At his best I rate him in our top 6 or so mids, ahead of Wallis. He's not elite and probably never will be but he's a very handy inside/outside player and would get a game at any club in the league. He doesn't have exquisite skills or craftiness around goals, but he's reliable, composed and hard as nails. He'll be fine.

Last edited:
He should have slotted that goal on the final siren in the GF, never been the same since

Yeah people on the day have told me it wasnt a point it was a goal if only we had video review in 2016 :) Toby Mcleam should never leave our club WHY you ask ? When he kicked that goal in the second quarter of the GF I knew we where real a chance to win the flag that day

Totally agree. Was watching him last night, seems to have regressed badly this season. I think he looks a bit lost in what his role is at the moment and hope they put him back in the middle where he excelled the last year or two.

I was surprised earlier this season when we had Wallis in the guts and McLean forward - in my uneducated view they should have been swapped (I'm 100% certain that the coaching staff know more about where to play him then I do).

Saw someone mention I think in the gameday thread yesterday that he could be carrying something like OP, although I assume that was more of a guess than any actual info.

Yes it was a guess. He just looks like has lost his top 10% of zip. That kills you in the AFL.

Again this won’t be popular but I think he is really overrated on here

He is a very handy footballer but some seem to think he is/could be elite.

I’m yet to see that myself and think he is being hurt mostly by being thrown all over the place.

He is a small forward than can pinch hit through the midfield imo and like many of his mates is struggling due to no structure and selection inconsistency
100% agree I do not see it at all with Mclean. Lloyd has been a far better player this year for us

Didn't rate his 2018 season?
Not really - he started off well but isnt damaging enough to me to warrant a place in the guts in our team.

As soon as we gave his midfield time to Dunks we performed better.

His midfield time is going to go to Smith, Lippa, Libba who I would prefer. I am not saying Toby is no good he is an above average AFL player but its a tough position for him. His best spot is in the midfield and thats where we are stacked.

With Libba down I’d like to see McLean take his minutes in the midfield. Bring Rhylee west in to cover his role at half forward with some stronger pressure and toughness.

Hopefully some more time in the guts pulls him out of the slump he’s in at the moment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back