Recommitted Toby Nankervis [ Re-Signed until 2023]

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Top 6 or 7 based on what?

You can’t be both behind Soldo and have a high trade value it doesn’t compute.

Soldo is like a mountain and a project player - he was playing soccer iirc until very recently

He is an unusual case. Played few games outside of vfl/afl

Any examples that show a precedent for this expected bidding war?

Going from 13th to flag/s and minor premiership is unprecedented.

Nank was a key factor. The 17 season was remarkable with only jack nank as the ruck and key forward.

He's a work horse too and the perfect age bracket.

I expect Richmond will let him go undervalued if he leaves because they have a nice guy policy but he would have pretty decent value on an open market

Apart from the big three there isn't many substantially better ruck options

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
There also isn’t many substantially worse which is why unless you’re a top tier ruck your trade value is minimal.

Top level ruckman rarely are available.

Teams like gws dont want nank to be a star. They already have several. Just need him to do the job.

These type of guys are very valuable for teams close to the final hurdle.

As said above a bellchambers upgrade like nank the tank might actually help essendon win a final. It's been about 6000 days

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Top level ruckman rarely are available.

Teams like gws dont want nank to be a star. They already have several. Just need him to do the job.

These type of guys are very valuable for teams close to the final hurdle.

As said above a bellchambers upgrade like nank the tank might actually help essendon win a final. It's been about 6000 days

If Draper doesn’t com on id happily swap pick 35 or so for Nank.

Nank isn’t a top level ruck or else he’d be getting a game ahead of Soldo.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If Draper doesn’t com on id happily swap pick 35 or so for Nank.

Nank isn’t a top level ruck or else he’d be getting a game ahead of Soldo.

Nank played in the flag (both actually). 3 games ago

Nank played round 1 (iirc). 2 game ago.

So far it's one game, I think your overreacting his value has dropped cause Soldo.

The afl have sprung more new rules in regards to game time which has complicated matters

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Nank played in the flag (both actually). 3 games ago

Nank played round 1 (iirc). 2 game ago.

So far it's one game, I think your overreacting his value has dropped cause Soldo.

The afl have sprung more new rules in regards to game time which has complicated matters

No I’m not the premise of this thread is him leaving because he’s no longer the number one ruck.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Soldo is like a mountain and a project player - he was playing soccer iirc until very recently

He is an unusual case. Played few games outside of vfl/afl

Going from 13th to flag/s and minor premiership is unprecedented.

Nank was a key factor. The 17 season was remarkable with only jack nank as the ruck and key forward.

He's a work horse too and the perfect age bracket.

I expect Richmond will let him go undervalued if he leaves because they have a nice guy policy but he would have pretty decent value on an open market

I though there was only a big 2 - Gawn and Grundy - who have you as the 3rd?

He doesnt play many games this year, we could be looking at a token trade or at best 30-40, closer to 40 more likely.

If he plays plenty of games, and plays to his 2017-2018 standard we might jag a best 22 player in a trade.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Off the top of my head

Grundy
Gawn

Nic Nat
Goldstein
Marshall
Ryder
Martin

The rest

Thats largely why nank would hold value. Outside of the elite 2/3, the rest are old, forwards? Or a bit unco

Rucks are still important. Yes it's a bit weird not getting (one) game behind ivan but it's early days

That said the ruck depth at tigerland is like Stalingrad defensive lines currently

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Stef maybe a few years ago.. showing his age.
Also Ryder was not even the number 1 ruck at Port last year. Don't think he's in the top 5-6 anymore either.

I’m a huge Ryder fan and Martin gives a lot around the ground. Tossed up putting Witts and O’Brien in the list as well.

TBH after the top 2 I really don’t think rucks are impacting games that much. We had a winning record with Zac Clarke in the side last season

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m a huge Ryder fan and Martin gives a lot around the ground. Tossed up putting Witts and O’Brien in the list as well.

TBH after the top 2 I really don’t think rucks are impacting games that much. We had a winning record with Zac Clarke in the side last season

Nank has made a huge impact for three years

In your opinion. Richmond have been in the bottom half of the comp (18th in 2018) for centre clearance differential which unless you want to put the blame on Richmond’s midfield I’d say Nank bares plenty of responsibility for.
Has an opposition ruckman got ahold of Richmond in the last three years and dictated a Richmond loss?
I'm pretty sure Richmond are pretty comfortable with how they structure up. Hardwick clearly values a quality centre clearance over a bunch of crappy hacked forward kicks. Geelong in 2011 played a similar style.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If Richmond's asking price as Marcel is spruiking is too high, it's probably a good idea to do what Carlton did and get a young(ish) surplus ruckman from another club cheaply, Marc Pittonet had a pretty impressive debut against Max Gawn..

Wouldn't have thought The Tigers would get much more for Nankervis than what they paid the Swans for him.

It's not exactly a sellers market for ruckmen at the moment.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Has an opposition ruckman got ahold of Richmond in the last three years and dictated a Richmond loss?
I'm pretty sure Richmond are pretty comfortable with how they structure up. Hardwick clearly values a quality centre clearance over a bunch of crappy hacked forward kicks. Geelong in 2011 played a similar style.

Doesn’t this agree with what I’m saying? Nank isn’t having a big impact on Richmond success. They regularly set up to lose the stoppage and pressure the opposition into kicking it back to them.

I think Nank is a reasonably good ruckman it’s just the value for players in that role is an all time low.

Doesn’t this agree with what I’m saying? Nank isn’t having a big impact on Richmond success. They regularly set up to lose the stoppage and pressure the opposition into kicking it back to them.

I think Nank is a reasonably good ruckman it’s just the value for players in that role is an all time low.
I don't think it's that cut and dry.
He's not a great tap ruckman but an absolute beast in other facets of the game (particularly in the contest). If I had to pick a player he reminds me of, I'd say Ben Hudson. Far more respected by teammates than his stats sheet would indicate, just does little things to make a midfielder's life easier. I still think he has value at senior AFL level.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think it's that cut and dry.
He's not a great tap ruckman but an absolute beast in other facets of the game (particularly in the contest). If I had to pick a player he reminds me of, I'd say Ben Hudson. Far more respected by teammates than his stats sheet would indicate, just does little things to make a midfielder's life easier. I still think he has value at senior AFL level.

Yeah definitely has plenty of football left in him I just don’t see much trade value there

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Off the top of my head

Grundy
Gawn

Nic Nat
Goldstein
Marshall
Ryder
Martin

The rest

Still stunned when I see posters rate Nic Nat above Goldy - would be interested to see what years Nic Nat actually out performed him.

Judging by the 1st 2 rounds Goldy will add 2020 to his long list of years he was better.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Still stunned when I see posters rate Nic Nat above Goldy - would be interested to see what years Nic Nat actually out performed him.

Judging by the 1st 2 rounds Goldy will add 2020 to his long list of years he was better.

Fair argument but I think NicNat still has the ability to really impact the team’s performance by himself whereas Goldstein doesn’t have that level of impact on games.

My rating of Goldstein may be hurt by the fact he didn’t smash Z.Clarke last year but in his defence neither did Gawn.

thetradesman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Browns, Clips, Renegades
Top 6 or 7 based on what?

You can’t be both behind Soldo and have a high trade value it doesn’t compute.

Based on the way he played? Think most would agree he was in the top 6 ruckmen over the last few seasons. Name 6 better?

You might be underrating Soldo a bit as well. He was fantastic in the second half of last year and for three quarters he matched it with Grundy.

EDIT: Didn't see the above post when you mentioned who was better. Surely you are having a laugh?

Nic Nat is better than Nank, but an argument could be made that clubs would rather him purely because he has longevity on his side.

Paddy Ryder Better than Nank? Not a chance. Nankervis over the last three years has beaten him in nearly every important stat.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Off the top of my head, I’d have all these rucks ahead of Nank.

Grundy - Collingwood
Gawn - Melbourne
Pruess - Melbourne
NicNat - West Coast
Martin - Lions
McInerney - Lions
Goldstein - North
Witts - Gold Coast
Marshall - St Kilda
Ryder - St Kilda
Darcy - Fremantle
Pittonett - Carlton