Past Toby Pink

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
How has Toby performed since transitioning into defence? Haven't seen many reserves games this year. Is there any chance of a debut this year or only use in case of emergency?

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
How has Toby performed since transitioning into defence? Haven't seen many reserves games this year. Is there any chance of a debut this year or only use in case of emergency?
He’s impressed me and I think he’s worth persisting with. Still pretty raw as defenders go but that’s to be expected. Has a real crack and has had some really strong one-on-one performances this year. I doubt he’d get a look in unless one of our three AFL key defenders goes down, but Pink might have just bought himself an extra year on our list with this move.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
He’s impressed me and I think he’s worth persisting with. Still pretty raw as defenders go but that’s to be expected. Has a real crack and has had some really strong one-on-one performances this year. I doubt he’d get a look in unless one of our three AFL key defenders goes down, but Pink might have just bought himself an extra year on our list with this move.
It worked for Grundy and Richards initially so I guess if anyone can make a forward into a defender the Swans have the blue print. He had a booming kick from memory so that could be another thing of benefit in clearing zones. Could Pink free Rampe up to play smaller? Or swap with Mellican if form drops?

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It can be hard to tell sometimes at NEAFL level for defenders, at least on the footage anyway.

He has some very good attributes that can’t be taught such as height (195) and he is quick for his height. Seems to perform strongly one on one and on the lead. I can’t remember him being beaten as a defender to any significant degree. His effort / workrate / desperation is pretty good too.

His areas of improvement in that space is probably making a contribution offensively / taking more intercept marks.

I’d be comfortable if he was to debut, I think he would certainly give a good account of himself.

I would definitely give him another year. Is only 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Chaisa

Premium Platinum
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Problem was he already had three years and failed to play seniors in that time. Was unlikely he'd develop into a long-term AFL player. I know he looked decent at NEAFL level but would you think he has a better chance of making it than a 20-30% chance that a low pick does? He simply didn't develop quickly enough.

cadsky

Premium Gold
Jun 14, 2011
Vic
AFL Club
Sydney
Couldn't crack a game in 3 years. Couldn't find his best position in 3 years. Was he ever even named an emergency in 3 years? No real loss imo.

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

Top Bottom