Past Toby Pink - delisted 2019

So in the Cody Hirst thread you conceded you didn’t see much NEAFL this year yet you saw enough of Toby’s first year as a KD to brand him a B grader... bet you won $ on him being cut too 🙄

I saw a feW games, I didn't see all of the games which I try get to- family commitments do come first. I trust the club with both calls. Hirst I feel is more unlucky but ONLY if they saw him as a mid and not a small forward. If Papley went, Hirst probably would have stayed.

The issue I have with Toby is that I don't see him replacing any of the KPD options and they are all faintly young, and that doesn't include Maibaum.

Disappointed for Toby. It seems to me he was a better risk than a Menzel or a Maibaum who have a higher risk of further injury. Not much between Toby and Jack in ability and Toby has adjusted to the backman role, well and is just sabout phyically mature. Very stiff.

100% disagree on Maibaum. He's had 1 injury lets not overplay it, and before the injury was probably our starting KPD in r1 last year (was great in the pre season games). Menzel I'm on the fence but at worst he brings experience.

Neverwas

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Korweinguboora
AFL Club
Sydney
100% disagree on Maibaum. He's had 1 injury lets not overplay it, and before the injury was probably our starting KPD in r1 last year (was great in the pre season games). Menzel I'm on the fence but at worst he brings experience.

It is often quoted that the greatest risk indicator for an acl injury is having done one before. You don't have to look very hard to see examples.I am referring to that risk. As a player I like him though.

I also think that with the short amount of time in the backline Toby adjusted very well, especialy seeing as he had very little help from other listed players over the year. Still very young and reaching full physical strength now. It just seems a pity given that we don't have much depth in the kpd department.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The Melican bashing on here is just ridiculous. After a very promising start in 2017 he missed the almost all the 2018 season to injury and his comeback season was a step backwards. In the interim the defence had also lost about 800 games of experience. To suggest he should be delisted is typical of the kind of knee-jerk scapegoating that is unfortunately all too common on this forum.

I can see how you came to that conclusion merely by comparing their AFL games!

Lol. I watched both Melican and Pink play in the 2s one day this year. Pink was quicker, read the play better and beat his opponent. Truth is I don't think either is up to AFL standard.

I think Melican was rated by many as a good prospect after 2017. I admit to being one. However in retrospect he was made to look like a solid prospect because he had the protection of a settled and experienced quality backline.

This season he came back bulked up from (no doubt) a lot of hard hours in the gym after his 2017 was ruined.

I was shocked by how poorly he played in 2019. The signs were there in Round 1 when he was flogged by Naughtin. That flogging became his benchmark for the season. I doubt there were few KPDs in the comp who had a worse year and played as many games.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Lol. I watched both Melican and Pink play in the 2s one day this year. Pink was quicker, read the play better and beat his opponent. Truth is I don't think either is up to AFL standard.

I think Melican was rated by many as a good prospect after 2017. I admit to being one. However in retrospect he was made to look like a solid prospect because he had the protection of a settled and experienced quality backline.

This season he came back bulked up from (no doubt) a lot of hard hours in the gym after his 2017 was ruined.

I was shocked by how poorly he played in 2019. The signs were there in Round 1 when he was flogged by Naughtin. That flogging became his benchmark for the season. I doubt there were few KPDs in the comp who had a worse year and played as many games.
Just because he didn’t play well (he didn’t for the majority), doesn’t mean he’s not better than Pink (he is).

Back