Moved Thread Toby vs Eddie...who would you pick?

Toby Greene v Eddy Betts - Who would you take?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Changing landscape...do you mean FA and players moving around more like it is in the NBA? Hmmm, hope not. Maybe that is a point perhaps teams are constructed and roles created based on champion data and statistical algorithms and less on the intangible like does he give his teammates the shits from time to time.

The changing landscape is who cares if misses a couple games in the H an A, reputations aren't made until September. I'd rather someone play like Hodge and push the line whilst winning flags than be a nice guy who plays every game and goes missing under the bright lights

The changing landscape is who cares if misses a couple games in the H an A, reputations aren't made until September. I'd rather someone play like Hodge and push the line whilst winning flags than be a nice guy who plays every game and goes missing under the bright lights
You don't care if your leading goal kicker gets rubbed out and you lose to st kilda at Etihad?
Etihad was made for small/mid size forwards, scores were level last couple of minutes of the third quarter.
I'd care a lot if I was in that team.

You don't care if your leading goal kicker gets rubbed out and you lose to st kilda at Etihad?
Etihad was made for small/mid size forwards, scores were level last couple of minutes of the third quarter.
I'd care a lot if I was in that team.

By that logic Toby Greene is the most important player in the competition because he single handedly decides wins and losses

By that logic Toby Greene is the most important player in the competition because he single handedly decides wins and losses
It's not what I meant...
You've got more chance of winning with your best players on the park than not.
He got rubbed out for a dodgy hit on Caleb Daniels that just didn't need to happen, didn't do anything except get him rubbed out and give the doggies a 50 and a goal.
He's got a responsibility to his club and team to do his best to win a flag.

If your not good enough to play in the rules you should go home.
If you want to play for the jumper stay on the ground and do your bloody job.

It's not what I meant...
You've got more chance of winning with your best players on the park than not.
He got rubbed out for a dodgy hit on Caleb Daniels that just didn't need to happen, didn't do anything except get him rubbed out and give the doggies a 50 and a goal.
He's got a responsibility to his club and team to do his best to win a flag.

If your not good enough to play in the rules you should go home.
If you want to play for the jumper stay on the ground and do your bloody job.

Not everyone are pretty boys who can run onto the field and stay cool and calm. Sometimes when you fire up a young man and tell him you need him to do everything he can to win you'll get characters who are rough around the edges. He's not perfect and of course you'd want him playing every game but I think his issues are far overstated by people..he's a superstar talent and he will calm down as he matures.

Not everyone are pretty boys who can run onto the field and stay cool and calm. Sometimes when you fire up a young man and tell him you need him to do everything he can to win you'll get characters who are rough around the edges. He's not perfect and of course you'd want him playing every game but I think his issues are far overstated by people..he's a superstar talent and he will calm down as he matures.
Yep, fair call.

Something I like about Greene is the angst he causes to footy fans who go into meltdown whenever he snipes one of their players. I like a good villain. Not just a to-talent thug... But a top class player who can dish it out... They're the best. (I loved watching Lethal, Dipper, Ayres, Dermie, Hodgey, Lewis, Mitchell and Guerra for the Hawks.)

It's fun seeing grown adult men lose their s**t at the footy, jumping out of their seats, pointing, screaming, spittle flying, mouthing empty threats and obscenities, mooing like cows for the remainder of the game whenever Greene lines up for another goal. These are the modern day circus clowns. You'd think they were fathers watching junior footy and they saw Greene assault their own son. Hahahaha.

I'm not a regular radio listener, but it's funny to hear irate callers clogging the talkback lines after the game to vent their rage. Or seeing all hateful diatribes posted here on Big Footy. People get so angry about Toby Greene. Makes me laugh.

Hopefully the Giants win this year's premiership and Greene pulls out a few more dirty tricks from his grubby kitbag :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Grace doesn't rhyme with slander..
The thread was about who would build a better team, there isn't an answer only opinions and Im sure Toby Greene will be one of the great competitors and a player other coaches and players worry about for along time.
It's a cheap shot to say GWS aren't a great team and only talented players, they're a better team when he's on the ground and footy is better when Toby Greene plays his best.

Let's see what happens... my prediction.

If he gets rubbed out for off the ball stuff this year they won't win the flag.

Wouldn't want to pay either of them massive money. I'd lean towards Greene because I like his arrogance and physicality (on field).

Betts is the best forward pocket goalsneak in the game but it's hard to do that in finals. I'd only pay big bucks for a Rioli and otherwise make do with a bit less in attack for a small who can do all the defensive stuff as well or better than Betts.

Greene is the best pure half forward flanker in the game but I think if you've got the midfield depth to play a decent midfielder at half forward they can achieve much the same result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all heard it, Toby Greene, six year deal till he's 31 somewhere between 800 thou and a mill.
So one of the highest paid in the most talent laden team.
I read a post in another thread "I'd take Greene over Betts in a heartbeat" and I got to thinking.
So...
Who would you rather play for your club and on the field playing for the premiership?

I present the following for your consideration:

Eddie Betts
Arguably the greatest forward pocket in the history of the game.

Toby Greene
Arguably the biggest d***head of the modern era.

Eddie, turns up at Carlton pick 3 2004, 5 foot 9 weighs less than 70kilo.
Couldn't read and drank too much
(Eddie has spoken publicly about this)
2010 earns himself a four hr sit down at the cop shop for being drunk in the city but still manages to make it to the club party on the yacht...respec. Cops a 10 thou fine.
2013 not a great year, broke his jaw got suspended for three but kicked five goals in two finals.
He decided to go home to Adelaide reportedly for 2 mill over four years.
Carlton didn't match the offer.
Career
Club leading goal kicker
AA
I can't think of a player more universally liked than him.

Toby Greene ( I'll try and keep this short)
Foundation player for GWS
Pick 11 2011
Nominated for rising star but ineligible because off the ball bump
Club suspension for drinking whilst injured, also while injured managed to get charged with assault with a weapon and assault by..kicking.
Toby was out injured because of an ankle injury.
Club fined him 5 thou.
Toby and his management publicly stated they would contest the decision but seemed to have a change of heart shortly after.
Charged with spitting.
Toby denied the allegations but didn't contest the charge.
Isaac Heeney head butt.
Snotted the smallest player in the comp like some 45 yr old in the magoo's and suspended for two.
Booted Dalehouse in the face while collecting a handpass.
Suspended for two for jumperpunching .
Two other close calls against seperate Port players.
Career
Club leading goal kicker
AA

Last year GWS missed a home final by 4.1%points, got thumped by Adelaide then thumped by Richmond.
While Toby was suspended they lost to St kilda and just scraped home against the pies by three points.
The captain has come out and said they love it how Toby plays on the edge.
I wonder how that conversation would have gone if it had of been with Cameron Ling, Luke Hodge or McVeigh.
Anyways...
Who would you pick to be part of your team playing on Grand Final day?
I'd pick Eddie, I reckon he'd make it a better club and clubs win premierships.
Wouldve picked Eddie but for his GF failure last year.
Toby not shaking hands the "traditional way" shows sophistication and guile.

AFL has ordered 7 GWS threads per week on the main board,keep up the good work.

I'd take Toby now and in the future. Eddie 2 years ago I would have taken him but he slid a bit back to the pack last year.

Greene is an absolute gun - I think he will still get better.

Back