Delisted Toby Wooller (2017-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooller out for 10-12 weeks

Brisbane Lions draftee Toby Wooller underwent surgery on Tuesday on his left ring finger after injuring the tendon in a training mishap last week.

The key forward is expected to miss 10-12 weeks.

Grandpa sounds like an awesome bloke!
He really does. I was fortunate to transcribe an interview with Grandpa Wooller for a mate who was writing a book. He came across as such a great and humble man, and maybe it is the Geelong supporter in me, but I felt humbled to have heard his story. That experience has certainly sparked my interest in young Toby, who seems to be travelling nicely in the NEAFL now he is over his early season injury.

Player Reviews: Wooller, Lester, Mathieson & Starcevich
#34 - Toby Wooller
Toby Wooller quickly learned the unexpected setbacks that can come with a career in professional football. In March, before having played his first game in the Lions guernsey, the first-year draftee underwent surgery on his left ring finger after injuring a tendon during a training mishap.

After three months of rehabilitation, Wooller made his Lions NEAFL debut during the Round 12 curtain-raiser at the Gabba against the GWS Giants, showcasing his natural ability up forward with two goals. The 19-year-old went on to play the final ten matches of the season, averaging almost 16 disposals and 1.6 goals a match.

Wooller showed his faith to the Lions in May by putting pen to paper by extending his contract until 2020. He will be one to watch in 2019 with a full pre-season under his belt.

NEAFL matches: 10

The 2017 draft revisited (Michael Whiting)
Pick 41: Toby Wooller
The first half of his season was derailed by a hand injury, but the young forward impressed in the NEAFL upon return. Dropped 5kg in the off-season, is in the top bracket of runners at the club and has the potential to be a strong third-forward option.
webdraftees2017lionspics.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Toby Wooller: Has impressed mightily in his second year and pushed hard for a debut earlier in the year. A natural forward, Wooller has increased his midfield minutes to improve his versatility.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

What has happened to this guy? I thought this type of season would be a great chance for him to debut, but he doesn't seem to be on the radar. Is he injured?
Not injured, just a ways down the pecking order it would seem.

I'm not sure he has even once been named an emergency (he hasn't in 2019 and 2020) in his three years, so make of that what you will.

Six depart the Den

The Brisbane Lions have advised five players they will not be offered a contract for the 2021 AFL season.

Sam Skinner, Matthew Eagles, Toby Wooller, Jacob Allison and Corey Lyons were informed of the decisions during end-of-season meetings carried out this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back