Today I learned about capitalism

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say you no very little about Taiwan. You theoretical example is nonsense...they have sexual harassment laws in Taiwan and have had since 2002.
So all the power is not with the employer and in fact who is this "boss" you talk about...the owner a manager who exactly. So that paragraph we can ignore because it is based on a false premise.
Second paragraph does not even make sense. Truth is... your post has no basis in truth.
Guilty as charged.

:oops:

I will say, though, that given your post my theoretical example is incorrect, not nonsense, and while you can certainly ignore it that does not make it nonsense, nor does it make the second paragraph fail to make sense.

I'll wear the final sentence, though.

Last edited:
I would say you no very little about Taiwan. You theoretical example is nonsense...they have sexual harassment laws in Taiwan and have had since 2002.
So all the power is not with the employer and in fact who is this "boss" you talk about...the owner a manager who exactly. So that paragraph we can ignore because it is based on a false premise.
Second paragraph does not even make sense. Truth is... your post has no basis in truth.
1 in 4 female workers have reported sexual harassment in taipei

What we do know about capitalism is that when disasters hit it always fails.
When disaster hits Governments move in and take control...the only thing that gets everything moving IS capitalism. The creative innovative types take us to a new level of affluence. Even for YOU.

When disaster hits Governments move in and take control...the only thing that gets everything moving IS capitalism. The creative innovative types take us to a new level of affluence. Even for YOU.

Worcestershire: https://apple.news/AfsD4vF0rSq6RRinZDs6SJw

<<<Unions and mayors of some of Lombardy's hardest hit cities now say the country's main industrial lobby group, Confindustria, exerted enormous pressure to resist lockdowns and production shutdowns because the economic cost would be too great in a region responsible for 21 percent of Italy's GDP.

On February 28, a week into the outbreak and well after more than 100 cases were registered in Bergamo, the province's branch of Confindustria launched an English-language social media campaign, #Bergamoisrunning, to reassure clients.

It insisted the outbreak was no worse than elsewhere, that the "misleading sensation" of its high number of infections was due to aggressive testing, and that production in steel mills and other industries was unaffected.

Confindustria launched its own campaign in the larger Lombardy region, echoing that message, #Yeswework. Milan's mayor proclaimed that "Milan doesn't stop".>>>

All you need to know about the attitude of contemporary capitalism

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Nancy MacLean and Democracy in Chains have disabused me of the naive belief that academic historians are interested in objectivity. Reading history texts must now be filtered through deep skepticism of the source, as well as research on the author to understand how their personal and professional biases influenced their conclusions." Democracy in Chains was excoriated by academic critics for its blatantly dishonest attack on the thinking and indeed the character of the late James M. Buchanan, the 1986 Nobel Prize winner in economics." so on and so forth..
MacLean's Book Takes Progressive Conspiracy Theories to a New Level
No need to say anymore. A left wing academics view of the world. So in reality you learnt nothing about Capitalism.

No need to say anymore. A left wing academics view of the world. So in reality you learnt nothing about Capitalism.
[/QUOTE]

Please tell of the altruism and compassion for humanity of the Koch brothers that has been so badly overlooked.

The book also received rave reviews but of course they were by people you can blithely write off as biased too.
We are living in a post truth world and the unfortunate fact is we all choose the sources that confirm our biases.

I have no doubt the book is emotive and not completely factual, how could it be? Its a pastiche of sources interpreted through the lens of one person with a particular bias. But I also have no doubt it contains elements of truth and I have absolutely no doubt that it accurately portrays the motivations and machinations of the likes of the Koch Brothers. Their record of spending huge amounts of money to influence politics in a direction which favors the wealthy over the not wealthy is matter of public record and, I think, horrifying in its selfishness and lack of concern for the environment and complete disregard for any agenda beyond that of accumulating great wealth.

I know people who consider themselves social entrepreneurs. They try to promote business which is profitable AND helps others but at the other end of the scale we have the Koch brothers who I believe are monsters. And these are the people who throw the most money around to influence the political process.

Some other reviews for you

Democracy in Chains received praise from liberal and progressive scholars and readers. In The Atlantic, Sam Tanenhaus called Democracy in Chains "A vibrant intellectual history of the radical right." Tanenhaus wrote that the book "is part of a new wave of historiography that has been examining the southern roots of modern conservatism" and it "untangle important threads in American history [...] to make us see how much of that history begins, and still lives, in the South."[22] George Monbiot, climate science author and columnist for The Guardian, wrote that the book was "the missing chapter: a key to understanding the politics of the past half century."[23] Colin Gordon called the book "a revelation, as politics and as history."[24] MacLean was interviewed by Rebecca Onion in Slate,[25] Alex Shephard in The New Republic, and Mark Karlin Alternet about her "remarkable"[26] and "groundbreaking"[27] book. Bethany Moreton of Dartmouth College called the book "indispensable reading [that] adds a critical storyline to the complex and multi-causal conservative counterrevolution."[28] Writing in BillMoyers.com, Kristin Miller argued that "MacLean has unearthed a stealth ideologue of the American right" to whom Charles Koch has "looked to for inspiration."[29] In NPR, Genevieve Valentie said the book "feels like it was written with a clock ticking down" after a sixty-year campaign to make libertarianism mainstream and eventually take the government itself."[30] Marshall Steinbaum of the Roosevelt Institute, described himself as "in sympathy with MacLean’s characterization of the Virginia School as profoundly antidemocratic and anti-academic" and considered the book "an important warning, and it should be read by all despite its rhetorical shortcomings."[31] Luke Darby of GQ has called Democracy in Chains "one of the nine books to read before the next election."[32] MacLean has been an invited guest on several popular television and radio outlets, most notably Real Time with Bill Maher, where she has appeared twice (in August and November of 2018) to discuss contemporary politics and the history of the far right.[33]

"Nancy MacLean and Democracy in Chains have disabused me of the naive belief that academic historians are interested in objectivity. Reading history texts must now be filtered through deep skepticism of the source, as well as research on the author to understand how their personal and professional biases influenced their conclusions." Democracy in Chains was excoriated by academic critics for its blatantly dishonest attack on the thinking and indeed the character of the late James M. Buchanan, the 1986 Nobel Prize winner in economics." so on and so forth..
MacLean's Book Takes Progressive Conspiracy Theories to a New Level
This is the link to the quoted article:

... with this as a review of the Mises institute:

Last edited:
I suppose part of the problem is that you're witnessing historical consensus being created in real time. This revolves around one person publishing their views and the evidence, and the next critiquing it.

DAlembert, you're relying on the mere fact of a dissenting argument being evidence of falsity, which is not the case. Over time, a prevalent viewpoint will emerge, but currently this looks to be very much disputed territory. I suppose you could certainly argue what I'm saying right here as an argument in reply to E Shed's original post, but you weren't saying that.

Please tell of the altruism and compassion for humanity of the Koch brothers that has been so badly overlooked.

The book also received rave reviews but of course they were by people you can blithely write off as biased too.
We are living in a post truth world and the unfortunate fact is we all choose the sources that confirm our biases.

I have no doubt the book is emotive and not completely factual, how could it be? Its a pastiche of sources interpreted through the lens of one person with a particular bias. But I also have no doubt it contains elements of truth and I have absolutely no doubt that it accurately portrays the motivations and machinations of the likes of the Koch Brothers. Their record of spending huge amounts of money to influence politics in a direction which favors the wealthy over the not wealthy is matter of public record and, I think, horrifying in its selfishness and lack of concern for the environment and complete disregard for any agenda beyond that of accumulating great wealth.

I know people who consider themselves social entrepreneurs. They try to promote business which is profitable AND helps others but at the other end of the scale we have the Koch brothers who I believe are monsters. And these are the people who throw the most money around to influence the political process.

Some other reviews for you

Democracy in Chains received praise from liberal and progressive scholars and readers. In The Atlantic, Sam Tanenhaus called Democracy in Chains "A vibrant intellectual history of the radical right." Tanenhaus wrote that the book "is part of a new wave of historiography that has been examining the southern roots of modern conservatism" and it "untangle important threads in American history [...] to make us see how much of that history begins, and still lives, in the South."[22] George Monbiot, climate science author and columnist for The Guardian, wrote that the book was "the missing chapter: a key to understanding the politics of the past half century."[23] Colin Gordon called the book "a revelation, as politics and as history."[24] MacLean was interviewed by Rebecca Onion in Slate,[25] Alex Shephard in The New Republic, and Mark Karlin Alternet about her "remarkable"[26] and "groundbreaking"[27] book. Bethany Moreton of Dartmouth College called the book "indispensable reading [that] adds a critical storyline to the complex and multi-causal conservative counterrevolution."[28] Writing in BillMoyers.com, Kristin Miller argued that "MacLean has unearthed a stealth ideologue of the American right" to whom Charles Koch has "looked to for inspiration."[29] In NPR, Genevieve Valentie said the book "feels like it was written with a clock ticking down" after a sixty-year campaign to make libertarianism mainstream and eventually take the government itself."[30] Marshall Steinbaum of the Roosevelt Institute, described himself as "in sympathy with MacLean’s characterization of the Virginia School as profoundly antidemocratic and anti-academic" and considered the book "an important warning, and it should be read by all despite its rhetorical shortcomings."[31] Luke Darby of GQ has called Democracy in Chains "one of the nine books to read before the next election."[32] MacLean has been an invited guest on several popular television and radio outlets, most notably Real Time with Bill Maher, where she has appeared twice (in August and November of 2018) to discuss contemporary politics and the history of the far right.[33]
[/QUOTE]
"Please tell of the altruism and compassion for humanity of the Koch brothers that has been so badly overlooked. "
When you can give more than a billion dollars to Universities for research and training programs..millions to the arts/musicians and a whole raft of other charities to aid youth and poverty maybe you can criticize these guys who obviously polarize opinions because of their views on how the world should operate with smaller Government. These views go way back within the family. You call them monsters...that makes you seem a small minded nothing in comparison to what this family has achieved. You should be ashamed of yourself. Their companies employ over 100000 people who earn a living and contribute in the countries they live. MacLean is nothing more than an apologist for Hillary Clinton and the cradle to grave style of Government. No thanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose part of the problem is that you're witnessing historical consensus being created in real time. This revolves around one person publishing their views and the evidence, and the next critiquing it.

DAlembert, you're relying on the mere fact of a dissenting argument being evidence of falsity, which is not the case. Over time, a prevalent viewpoint will emerge, but currently this looks to be very much disputed territory. I suppose you could certainly argue what I'm saying right here as an argument in reply to E Shed's original post, but you weren't saying that.
Sorry Gethelred your post makes no sense. If it wasn't for people like the Koch's MacLean would not even have a job...because remember this Wealth comes before Educational Institutions not the other way around. The fact that they give many millions of dollars towards research within Universities proves this point.

When you can give more than a billion dollars to Universities for research and training programs..millions to the arts/musicians and a whole raft of other charities to aid youth and poverty maybe you can criticize these guys who obviously polarize opinions because of their views on how the world should operate with smaller Government. These views go way back within the family. You call them monsters...that makes you seem a small minded nothing in comparison to what this family has achieved. You should be ashamed of yourself. Their companies employ over 100000 people who earn a living and contribute in the countries they live. MacLean is nothing more than an apologist for Hillary Clinton and the cradle to grave style of Government. No thanks!
That makes no sense. You are saying unless one is a billionaire one has no right to engage in criticism?
Wouldn't be much point in these boards if that was the case.

You're turning it into a false dichotomy. Either full blown nanny state or allowing predatory capitalism complete unrestrained open slather.

I'm suggesting perhaps there is a middle path. Like the social entrepreneurs I mentioned before. People who find ways to turn a dollar, create enterprise but without wrecking the joint or hurting others. That isn't the same thing as wanting big government.

At the moment the likes of the Koch Brothers are corrupting democracy and they are indisputably one of the highest polluting companies on the planet. They are f'ing things up for the rest of us. That's why I'm critical of them. People like that are the lunatic fringe as far as I'm concerned. Predatory capitalists.

Sorry Gethelred your post makes no sense. If it wasn't for people like the Koch's MacLean would not even have a job...because remember this Wealth comes before Educational Institutions not the other way around. The fact that they give many millions of dollars towards research within Universities proves this point.
We're back at the 'because I disagree with something, it doesn't make sense/is nonsense' thing again.

Just because you don't think it's correct doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense. I'm looking at the two arguments - Maclean's book versus those who oppose her view of history - as forming a component of historical discourse, which is a field I have studied in my time at uni (I majored in history). What I mean by this is that the discourse (in a Foucaultian way) is formed by the collective, with dominant ideas/arguments being those that succeed most over time against other arguments. Now, this viewpoint is not immune to criticism itself - it's postmodernist (and therefore deconstructionist) and plenty of people object to postmodernism inherently - but it accurately describes how history is created in the wake of an event occurring.

How this applies to this particular circumstance is that the 'history' of this fellow or his theories - or how they apply to the Koch brothers - is still disputed, and there is no dominant arguments; ergo, determining either view as correct or incorrect is premature.

As for the idea that Koch gives money to universities - 'he pays her wages' - I've found this webpage, which documents precisely how much money he provides to universities:

... with there being questions as to how that money is prejudicing the university studies they fund:

Now, I get that Greenpeace is hardly an unideological website, so we come back to the postmodern stuff. If I say A, and you say not A, how are we to settle the question? Over time, a consensus is formed externally; other people will jump on either side, and over time one argument (A or not A) will 'win'. Before that, the argument is not settled.

That makes no sense. You are saying unless one is a billionaire one has no right to engage in criticism?
Wouldn't be much point in these boards if that was the case.

You're turning it into a false dichotomy. Either full blown nanny state or allowing predatory capitalism complete unrestrained open slather.

I'm suggesting perhaps there is a middle path. Like the
I mentioned before. People who find ways to turn a dollar, create enterprise but without wrecking the joint or hurting others. That isn't the same thing as wanting big government.

At the moment the likes of the Koch Brothers are corrupting democracy and they are indisputably one of the highest polluting companies on the planet. They are f'ing things up for the rest of us. That's why I'm critical of them. People like that are the lunatic fringe as far as I'm concerned. Predatory capitalists.
"unless one is a billionaire" That is not what I said at all. "false dichotomy" Are you crazy how did I imply that.
Read the history of the Koch family from the time of the grandfather... Your opinion of them is not based on any facts.
People can choose your middle path if they want to good for them. However the historical context of economic development shows that economies/civilizations evolve over time. We can easily look back and say why did they do something this way or that way. However things were done with the knowledge of the time and no doubt to the best of peoples ability. " Koch Brothers are corrupting democracy" so you say others beg to differ. Unfortunately for you you are actually the lunatic fringe. Criticize the Kochs..the Packers..the Reinharts..Buffett...Gates...Bezos to your hearts content. But it achieves nada.

"unless one is a billionaire" That is not what I said at all. "false dichotomy" Are you crazy how did I imply that.
Read the history of the Koch family from the time of the grandfather... Your opinion of them is not based on any facts.
People can choose your middle path if they want to good for them. However the historical context of economic development shows that economies/civilizations evolve over time. We can easily look back and say why did they do something this way or that way. However things were done with the knowledge of the time and no doubt to the best of peoples ability. " Koch Brothers are corrupting democracy" so you say others beg to differ. Unfortunately for you you are actually the lunatic fringe. Criticize the Kochs..the Packers..the Reinharts..Buffett...Gates...Bezos to your hearts content. But it achieves nada.
You're attempting to create a false dichotomy by stating that " MacLean is nothing more than an apologist for Hillary Clinton and the cradle to grave style of Government. No thanks!".
The implication of this is that all of her critisism can be safely dismissed because she's advocating for the Nanny State.
There are 2 problems with this: The first is whether or not that is true but the second is more useful here in that even if was conceded that her motivation is for "cradle to grave style of Government" that doesn't actually have any bearing on whether her information is true or not.

If I or live next to a forrest and Ienjoy walking, fishing, camping whatever in that forrest and someone comes along and says they want to come and cut a few trees down to build a house we aren't bothered. They do that and the trees grow back.
If someone comes along and says they want to raise the whole thing to the ground and build an open cut mine I might be moved to protest because I don't want to lose the amenity of the forrest.

People like the Koch's are never happy with taking a few trees. They want it all and no matter how much they take its never enough.
Sustainable capitalism is fine but I believe we need to be vigilant against those for whom greed seems to be a pathology.

That doesn't make me the lunatic fringe, it makes me someone who prefers to have a forrest than a carpark.

You're attempting to create a false dichotomy by stating that " MacLean is nothing more than an apologist for Hillary Clinton and the cradle to grave style of Government. No thanks!".
The implication of this is that all of her critisism can be safely dismissed because she's advocating for the Nanny State.
There are 2 problems with this: The first is whether or not that is true but the second is more useful here in that even if was conceded that her motivation is for "cradle to grave style of Government" that doesn't actually have any bearing on whether her information is true or not.

If I or live next to a forrest and Ienjoy walking, fishing, camping whatever in that forrest and someone comes along and says they want to come and cut a few trees down to build a house we aren't bothered. They do that and the trees grow back.
If someone comes along and says they want to raise the whole thing to the ground and build an open cut mine I might be moved to protest because I don't want to lose the amenity of the forrest.

People like the Koch's are never happy with taking a few trees. They want it all and no matter how much they take its never enough.
Sustainable capitalism is fine but I believe we need to be vigilant against those for whom greed seems to be a pathology.

That doesn't make me the lunatic fringe, it makes me someone who prefers to have a forrest than a carpark.
False Dichotomy....False Dichotomy.....False Dichotomy......False Dichotomy.....False Dichotomy......False Dichotomy........False Dichotomy
That about sums your argument up.

Oh and DAlembert this is the kind of "research" the Koch's donate to out of the kindness of their hearts when they're obviously not trying to influence democracy.

The methodology used for the IPA’s analysis was developed at the US-based thinktank the Mercatus Center, linked to the powerful billionaire industrialist and Republican donor Charles Koch.

But experts who spoke to Guardian Australia have dismissed the methodology – known as RegData – as fundamentally flawed and ideologically motivated.

Prof Jodi Short, of the University of California’s Hastings law school, is a critic of “regulation counting” efforts. She told Guardian Australia: “RegData is a political project that seeks to reduce regulation, period.

“It is not an effort to improve the quality of regulation or maximise the net benefits of regulation, it is an effort to stop regulators in their tracks, regardless of the costs to the economy, the environment, and to human health and safety.”

Oh and DAlembert this is the kind of "research" the Koch's donate to out of the kindness of their hearts when they're obviously not trying to influence democracy.

The methodology used for the IPA’s analysis was developed at the US-based thinktank the Mercatus Center, linked to the powerful billionaire industrialist and Republican donor Charles Koch.

But experts who spoke to Guardian Australia have dismissed the methodology – known as RegData – as fundamentally flawed and ideologically motivated.

Prof Jodi Short, of the University of California’s Hastings law school, is a critic of “regulation counting” efforts. She told Guardian Australia: “RegData is a political project that seeks to reduce regulation, period.

“It is not an effort to improve the quality of regulation or maximise the net benefits of regulation, it is an effort to stop regulators in their tracks, regardless of the costs to the economy, the environment, and to human health and safety.”

Plenty of contrary views on this also mister cut and paste. You have your blinkers on tho. Just another cry me a river lefty.

Plenty of contrary views on this also mister cut and paste. You have your blinkers on tho. Just another cry me a river lefty.
There is nothing left wing about wanting to live in a world based on values other than cut throat, winner takes all capitalism.
To care for others and the planet, to "conserve" civilised society used to be part of values of "conservatives" before being conservative was weaponised by free market ideologues.

Compassion for others and stewardship of the natural world should be central part of being a balanced self actualised human.
Fear drives the scarcity impulse which in some is so compulsive it constantly drives them to take more than they need.
Love is the answer.

That is the only dichotomy which ultimately matters. Love v Fear, which are you living in?

There is nothing left wing about wanting to live in a world based on values other than cut throat, winner takes all capitalism.
To care for others and the planet, to "conserve" civilised society used to be part of values of "conservatives" before being conservative was weaponised by free market ideologues.

Compassion for others and stewardship of the natural world should be central part of being a balanced self actualised human.
Fear drives the scarcity impulse which in some is so compulsive it constantly drives them to take more than they need.
Love is the answer.

That is the only dichotomy which ultimately matters. Love v Fear, which are you living in?
"Cut throat, winner takes all capitalism." We do not live in this World...that maybe your perception but it is not Real.
I do not live with the fear that you imply and nor do I agree with your platitudes of how a world should be or could be.
Self actualization is a personal thing and what a balanced human is is anybodies guess you see it differs from person to person.
Love is the Answer??? Another platitude. Maybe you should travel from Fremantle and see how the World actually functions.

"Cut throat, winner takes all capitalism." We do not live in this World...that maybe your perception but it is not Real.
I do not live with the fear that you imply and nor do I agree with your platitudes of how a world should be or could be.
Self actualization is a personal thing and what a balanced human is is anybodies guess you see it differs from person to person.
Love is the Answer??? Another platitude. Maybe you should travel from Fremantle and see how the World actually functions.
Well at least I got you to engage somewhat with the substance of my post rather than just insult me. . . much. Progress.

I see those mischievous Koch boys are at it again with their philanthropic activities that aren't in any way attempting to influence government policy for their own benefit. I'm so glad using a public health crisis to gut Environmental protections isn't cutthroat. They are just demanding their rights as free Americans to destroy national parklands for a few more mill. Just business right?

The rollbacks appear to follow a playbook put forth by influential conservative thinktanks, urging the White House to use the pandemic as justification for curtailing, or eliminating, environmental rules and oversight. President Trump should have “the ability to suspend costly regulations without extensive process”, according to a recent report by the Heritage Foundation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back