Today you like the Brisbane team, tomorrow you loathe them (from a port fan)

Remove this Banner Ad

You bring a good point. Will Sydney have a bye in rivalry round? If not who would?

Remember. This is the AFL. The GC will have a bye and Sydney will play Brisbane in "The State-Of-Origin" epic.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, as someone said earlier once the GC beat Brisbane the rivalry will kick off. Until then it will be less intense than the Showdown and Western Derby. It has the potential to be a very big rivalry.

The Showdown.

The Western Derby.

The sunshine battle?

Poor attempt at a name, I know, but I for one am interested in seeing the third of this type of rivalry.

I've already asked the brisbane board for their opinion on this, and three answers came up about equally:

1) Don't like the GC already
2) Will support them, like QLD teams do for each other in the NRL SOO
3) Am currently impartial but will probably change once the team is playing in the AFL

hahaha my how so many crows and port fans vowed to support each other when port was entering the AFL, given our intense dislike of the Vics, only for that to disappear in the blink of an eye.

Whenever you see port vs crows, or freo vs wce, you can see on BF just how much the supporters cannot stand the other's team.

How do you feel about the Brisbane team?

I have the feeling that most GC fans at the moment won't have any ill-feeling for them, because they're an already established team?

What ammo shall you be using when it comes to trolling their team? Port/Crows/Freo/Eagles each have their own stereotypical insults aimed at their rival.

Take this thread also as an opportunity to post that you believe you will like Brisbane when you guys join the afl, won't have any problems with them, and can't see the situation being anything but rosy. Then once the honeymoon period is over, come back and visit this thread and have a laugh at what you somehow managed to write!

Wouldn't it be the Eastern Derby :p

I reckon Gold Coast vs North Melbourne would be fairly intense considering what happened last year and the fierce hatred north developed of the Gold Coast and the Gold Coast turning up to jeer North in their final home games.
I don't think too many North people have a hatred of the Gold Coast. We had a hatred of people trying to kill our club; but wish the new Gold Coast club all the best (except when playing us obviously).
It wasn't about hating the GC, it was about keeping our club. Whether GC people see it as a snub, or recognise the fact that AFL tried to bribe us and our board were traitors is up to them. If it gets more people through the gate, then use it.

Bring it on Brisbane. Gotta love passionate rivalry, it makes winning so much more enjoyable and losing far harder to take.

I see Brisbane as somewhat of a big brother that will be very fond of his younger brother until he grows up and steals his girlfriend. Can't wait!

Surely we can think of something better than the "Showdown". :rolleyes:
Well better/worse doesn't matter. The term relates to the two SA teams and is 'owned' in football terms by SA Brewing. It used to be the West End Showdown, though the name Showdown was almost lost a few years ago when sponsorship changes froze West End out. But common sense prevailed and SA Brewing allowed its continued use.

Bring it on Brisbane. Gotta love passionate rivalry, it makes winning so much more enjoyable and losing far harder to take.

I see Brisbane as somewhat of a big brother that will be very fond of his younger brother until he grows up and steals his girlfriend. Can't wait!

I like this, well we almost stole their best friend (Voss), so we may as well have a go at their girlfriend:thumbsu:

I don't think too many North people have a hatred of the Gold Coast. We had a hatred of people trying to kill our club; but wish the new Gold Coast club all the best (except when playing us obviously).
It wasn't about hating the GC, it was about keeping our club. Whether GC people see it as a snub, or recognise the fact that AFL tried to bribe us and our board were traitors is up to them. If it gets more people through the gate, then use it.

It could only benefit both clubs, and I'm pretty sure the Gold Coast has a bit of a hatred there so it won't take too long for the North supporters to build in belligerence, especially with a couple of close matches going Gold Coast's way.

I reckon Gold Coast vs North Melbourne would be fairly intense considering what happened last year and the fierce hatred north developed of the Gold Coast and the Gold Coast turning up to jeer North in their final home games.

Brisbane vs Gold Coast will be interesting. If you check the NRL fans it's Broncos fans who are fairly impartial and cheer for the GC and NQ whereas anybody who goes for NQ or GC absolutely hates the Broncos with a passion. I don't see that changing too much with the AFL except some Lions who seem to be fairly irrational AFL supporters regardless may join in on the rivalry.

A couple of potential rivalries already and still a few years off having a side: I think it's fair to say I'm pretty optimistic about the future of the Gold Coast.

North Who?? Who cares?

I dislike the new GC team because of the bandwagon supporters. All the supporters who have switched teams are obviously not diehard fans as they would never switch teams no matter what, and hence should not be respected and subsequently their opinion shouldn't matter. I do however respect the supporters who didn't previously support an AFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a great argument, however unfortunate as it seems, all new clubs that come into the competition are full of "bandwagon" supporters as you put it including the Brisbane Lions supporters who no doubt would have been supporters of other clubs prior to their inception.

So with all due respect, choke on your submission:rolleyes:

I dislike the Brisbane Lions team because of stupid posters like lions_den. He is obviously a spud and I do not respect him or anything he posts because it is utter dribble. Plus, he supports the lions, and hence should not be respected and subsequently his opinion shouldn't matter.
I do however respect... wait, where was I going with that? Never mind.

This is a great argument, however unfortunate as it seems, all new clubs that come into the competition are full of "bandwagon" supporters as you put it including the Brisbane Lions supporters who no doubt would have been supporters of other clubs prior to their inception.

So with all due respect, choke on your submission:rolleyes:

Yeah, not the greatest post by Lions Den.

Was a Geelong person until the Bears were conceived. I reject any accusations of bandwagoning whatsoever. Felt absolutely nothing when the Cats won the flag last year. I'm a Lion through and through now.

If there is an odd number of teams in the league for a few years, then I think that GC should be the team that takes the bye in special rounds like the Rivalry/Heritage rounds.

I think these games should be more about pre-existing rivalries and heritage, rather than the AFL trying to conjure up new rivalries.

Sydney and the Lions (like all of the other pre-existing AFL teams) deserve to play in these rounds and have their histories honoured, particularly considering that both teams have historical roots to long-standing Victorian teams (so, both the histories of Fitzroy and South Melbourne can be honoured).

GC will develop their own rivalries and heritage over time, but it is a bit presumptuous to suggest that their involvement in them will mean much in the initial years of their existence.

I also think that these games should see a wider variety of rotation when it comes to opponents (for instance, the Lions arguably have their strongest rivalries against teams like Essendon, Collingwood, Kangaroos and Port Adelaide).

I dislike the new GC team because of the bandwagon supporters. All the supporters who have switched teams are obviously not diehard fans as they would never switch teams no matter what, and hence should not be respected and subsequently their opinion shouldn't matter. I do however respect the supporters who didn't previously support an AFL side.

Bandwagon supporters? That's rich! I went with my diehard Lion supporting family to Lion's games at The Gabba during their winning days and the place was full to the rafters. This year...well I guess the bandwagon had a flat tyre and all the diehard couldn't make it to the game. Let's face it..every team will have fair weathered fans...mmm the socceroos in the world cup for one. So what? The GCFC will build a supporter base of AFL fans that want to see the game in their home town. Simple. But please don't stop hating...that would spoil the rivalry I'm so looking forward too.

Yeah, not the greatest post by Lions Den.

Was a Geelong person until the Bears were conceived. I reject any accusations of bandwagoning whatsoever. Felt absolutely nothing when the Cats won the flag last year. I'm a Lion through and through now.

I was a Magpie until the Bears set up camp down the road :) 2002 was the best year of my life!

I'm a Brisbane supporter living in Adelaide and once Gold Coast enter the AFL I won't have any reason to hate them unless they piss me off real bad. But, i guess it's different if you actually live in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back