Roast Today's crowd

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The next drama is a Home Game on Mothers Day starting at 1pm.

If the wife..mum ..mum in law ..sister mum..etc all follow Nmfc not an issue.

But looking around at the booked out venues for Lunch on Mothers Day it excludes a lot of peeps.

1 pm...ffs

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The next drama is a Home Game on Mothers Day starting at 1pm.

If the wife..mum ..mum in law ..sister mum..etc all follow Nmfc not an issue.

But looking around at the booked out venues for Lunch on Mothers Day it excludes a lot of peeps.

1 pm...ffs

Remember Mothers day v Freo at the ' G a few years ago ? Early ' 00's sometime. They lead by a point at 1/2 time but we stormed home and won by 70 odd. Maybe more.

Crowd 12.000 something. Awful.

Just wonder why ? Would have thought a minimum of 25,000 today easily.

This is unrealistic.

When was the last time we played Port and got 25k?

25k+ has occurred twice in Melbourne and they were finals.

The crowd was low but by maybe 2-3k.

We are a low drawing team who play unpredictable football.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is unrealistic.

Maybe the traditionalist in me ( age )
and Saturday 2.10 games give me a yearning for times past.

Gotta move with the times. Suppose l can include myself in this discussion as l refuse to attend Sunday twilights.

Still believe Princes Park should have been made into a boutique stadium at minimal cost for these games.

Maybe the traditionalist in me ( age )
and Saturday 2.10 games give me a yearning for times past.

Gotta move with the times. Suppose l can include myself in this discussion as l refuse to attend Sunday twilights.

Still believe Princes Park should have been made into a boutique stadium at minimal cost for these games.

There is definitely a gap in the market for 2:10 game at a suburban type ground.

Next year it'd be great to get an
AFLW exhibition match
VFL match
AFL match.

A day of footy.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
This is unrealistic.

I suppose I need to justify my own non-attendance yesterday. I have a paid commitment to suburban football so I am never able to attend Saturday afternoon games.

What OF says above though is spot on. Yesterday was the 9th NM/PA H&A game at Etihad. Only three of those had bigger crowds (2014, 2015 and 2016), the biggest crowd was 2016 when 24K went on a Saturday twilight, and the average is now 17,874 (only 200 people more than yesterday). Even a final in 2005 only got just a tick over 25K. There was absolutely no way that 25K was ever going to be at yesterday's game. Would we like the crowd to have been bigger? Of course, but realistically what we got was about what we should have expected.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I suppose I need to justify my own non-attendance yesterday. I have a paid commitment to suburban football so I am never able to attend Saturday afternoon games.

What OF says above though is spot on. Yesterday was the 9th NM/PA H&A game at Etihad. Only three of those had bigger crowds (2014, 2015 and 2016), the biggest crowd was 2016 when 24K went on a Saturday twilight, and the average is now 17,874 (only 200 people more than yesterday). Even a final in 2005 only got just a tick over 25K. There was absolutely no way that 25K was ever going to be at yesterday's game. Would we like the crowd to have been bigger? Of course, but realistically what we got was about what we should have expected.

Whilst you are there Accurate One, do you have stats on Mothers Day games we have played in and the attendance?

I remember one at Princes Park v Dogs...we lost mid 90s. Another meh afternoon at that ground.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is unrealistic.

This is the part I dislike the most. It creates insecurity as a supporter about our future. I DONT want us to move anywhere but I’m always worrying we’ll get pushed out of this market. Don’t like constantly being the club with the target on its back and crowds like yesterday don’t help. Far out.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
I’m trying to not care about crowd numbers anymore.

I go to the games, I try to bring who I can, it’s all I can do.

I think that is a very sensible approach. Not sure why peeps care about the size? It has always been about how you use it, vocally is what i'm talking about. 17,000 people can make a fair noise if they want.

Also still not the worst crowd for the year 14k Saints V GW$ Emptyhead stadium.

Etihad stadium has never really been a place away supporters want to visit in their droves. eg 27K V hawks last week. How many members they got?

edit; also worth remembering our club was formed in 1869 and I'd suggest a fair amount of our supporters are dead, that doesn't help of course, just sayin.

GWS and like haven't that excuse

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We're a small club, we're always going to get small crowds. Its not the end of the world.

I am concerned about our relative age demographics. There's a lot of older folks making up our rusted on group. We're not out of the woods yet.

Just wonder why ? Would have thought a minimum of 25,000 today easily.
Fairweather fans have bought into the medias "we will be crap" line.

Far more noticeable at a smaller club when these things happen.

Hugely damaging for the club.

Would like to see attendance compared to total membership across the league as a %, would be interesting I think.

It also hurts us that 25-40+% of our membership base is in WA/TAS/Non Vic areas.

Playing port didn't help, but we have to play them some time.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NM v PA 17,000 / 37,000 NM members = 46%
Ess v PA 30,000 / 70,000 Ess members = 43%

Surely this is how we should look at it rather than raw numbers
Yeah makes more sense and is 100% logical but these discussions aren’t often logical! A crowd of 30K looks and sounds much better than 17K and it’s that part that (stats aside) annoys me. I wish our overall supporter base was larger.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And also, it concerns me that is affects the morale of the playing group. You know, straight off the back of a terrific win and they run out to an arena just over 1/3 full. We’re a terrific club with a fabulous culture but in my opinion big name players want to play in front of packed stadiums. This issue makes it an ongoing uphill battle for us.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
NM v PA 17,000 / 37,000 NM members = 46%
Ess v PA 30,000 / 70,000 Ess members = 43%

Surely this is how we should look at it rather than raw numbers

Membership numbers are a farce. Richmond apparently have 90,000 but just ticked over 30,000 against Brisbane. For years I held 2 NMFC memberships - one to use, one more or less as a donation. I'd love to know the numbers at the end of the season of how many individuals held a membership for each club and used it to attend half of that club's home games in their home state. I think we'd find each club would drop the number by around half.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah makes more sense and is 100% logical but these discussions aren’t often logical! A crowd of 30K looks and sounds much better than 17K and it’s that part that (stats aside) annoys me. I wish our overall supporter base was larger.

It was the Boomer record breaking game that showed me we have a heap of Roo fans to target for regular attendance.

Looking around that night there was a sea of royal blue and white. The most I have seen outside of finals.

This is why I think Good Friday is critical for us. It gives us a marquee game to market to our Melbourne fans. It brings media attention & goes a long way to promoting a positive image of North as a vibrant club.

The big Melbourne clubs are handed these on a platter. As usual we fight, innovate & battle above our weight.

Back