Roast Today's crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst you are there Accurate One, do you have stats on Mothers Day games we have played in and the attendance?

I remember one at Princes Park v Dogs...we lost mid 90s. Another meh afternoon at that ground.

NMFC on Mothers Day.
1996 - Lost v West Coast @ Subiaco. 32,312
1998 - Lost v Western Bulldogs @ Princes Park. 22,058
1999 - Won v Adelaide @ MCG. 22,006
2000 - Won v Fremantle @ MCG. 12,400
2001 - Won v Collingwood @ Docklands. 34,600
2005 - Lost v Port Adelaide @ Football Park. 27,050
2006 - Lost v Adelaide @ Docklands. 16,064
2012 - Lost v Western Bulldogs @ Docklands. 20,885
2016 - Won v St.Kilda @ Docklands. 27,254
2017 - Lost v Sydney @ Docklands. 21, 589

We have a fairly ironed on mob where we sit level 2 who are there 90% of the time. Do the usual " g'day, whadda reckon today, Burton shoudda got weeks " type conversation. But jeez, none of them there yesterday. Have a feeling we will be completely outnumbered Mothers day even counting a 1.10 start.
Maybe tide has changed and people prefer a 3.20 - 4.10 start. Was thinking would have been a beautiful afternoon at an empty MCG yesterday, crowd would have looked even worse.

We sit in reserved seats on level one and have had the same seats for years. There were a lot of regulars that did not attend the game yesterday for some reason.

This dialogue has been going on since the mid 90s. Since suburban grounds were eliminated it has been a constant measuring stick. We are a small club with a small following. Only in Melbourne is 17, 000 crowd considered poor and a talking point.
Scheduling, opposition fan numbers, and a teams performance are continued and boring discussions regarding attendance numbers.
Sustaining membership growth is probably more important. Give me 80k members and a 10k attendance any day.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

FTFY

Anyone who might suggest a relocation to Tasmania should note that 17k would be a bumper crowd for them. And they'd rarely get that many.

It was the Boomer record breaking game that showed me we have a heap of Roo fans to target for regular attendance.

Looking around that night there was a sea of royal blue and white. The most I have seen outside of finals.

This is why I think Good Friday is critical for us. It gives us a marquee game to market to our Melbourne fans. It brings media attention & goes a long way to promoting a positive image of North as a vibrant club.

The big Melbourne clubs are handed these on a platter. As usual we fight, innovate & battle above our weight.

Did you go to that game? cos I did, but I flew down from up here (far Northern NSW, about 100km south of Brisneyland.) Boomer's record breaking game was a one off. There won't be another one for us for decades. Maybe Jy... Those sort of games drag in people like me (I presume you went as well) but aren't gonna drag us in every week without our own personal helicopter rides to games. I'm thinking of flying down for Good Friday next year but it depends on everything else that happens at that time of year.

NMFC on Mothers Day.

1998- yep that was it....wish I could remember that year though, something vaguely happened.

If someone wants to fly me to Melbourne every weekend I'll come to all our home games.

Same here.

One of these thanks..the runway is just long enough up here and there is some wealthy dude who flies in and out regularly.

Essendon Airport in 20 minutes. Fact.

v

Car- 2 hours

Yes so true....nrl

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I looked at NRL crowd numbers last year to compare to GWS and the GWS numbers are already significantly higher than many NRL teams.

But NRL doesn't care about crowds I don't think. Its all about tv. The game works on telly too. Footy is so much better live, or with different camera angles to the ones we see. Everything you need to see happens on tv in the NRL over 98% of the time.

I've got NRL following mates who are committed to their teams and won't ever go to games. Doesn't help that Sydney is 800 kms away but still... one of them went to the Manly GF victory the other year (not a Manly fan, Parra, but grew up there and his bro was mates with the Manly coach at the time,) said it was s**t and he'd rather watch a GF on telly.

Same here.

One of these thanks..the runway is just long enough up here and there is some wealthy dude who flies in and out regularly.

Essendon Airport in 20 minutes. Fact.

v

Car- 2 hours

20 - 22 hours in a car for me and these days I need to stop and sleep on the way. The days of jumping in a car and being in Melbourne 15 hours later are long gone, probably for the best I spose.

I looked at NRL crowd numbers last year to compare to GWS and the GWS numbers are already significantly higher than many NRL teams.

But NRL doesn't care about crowds I don't think. Its all about tv. The game works on telly too. Footy is so much better live, or with different camera angles to the ones we see. Everything you need to see happens on tv in the NRL over 98% of the time.

I've got NRL following mates who are committed to their teams and won't ever go to games. Doesn't help that Sydney is 800 kms away but still... one of them went to the Manly GF victory the other year (not a Manly fan, Parra, but grew up there and his bro was mates with the Manly coach at the time,) said it was s**t and he'd rather watch a GF on telly.

Agree.

There were things I was reading in the GD Thread from TV viewers that weren't the reality in the context of viewing the whole ground- running patterns- second efforts- defensive running etc.

Despite this knowledge, JMac was still 'meh' in real life.

20 - 22 hours in a car for me and these days I need to stop and sleep on the way. The days of jumping in a car and being in Melbourne 15 hours later are long gone, probably for the best I spose.

In the 90's I remember driving 4 hours regularly to the MCG and then 4 hours home. Nuts.

....but ummm, it was worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 hours in a car? Luxury.

Back in my day, we used to walk 22 hours to the game, barefoot....

Did you go to that game? cos I did, but I flew down from up here (far Northern NSW, about 100km south of Brisneyland.) Boomer's record breaking game was a one off. There won't be another one for us for decades. Maybe Jy... Those sort of games drag in people like me (I presume you went as well) but aren't gonna drag us in every week without our own personal helicopter rides to games. I'm thinking of flying down for Good Friday next year but it depends on everything else that happens at that time of year.

I did indeed. We were lucky Boomers in Brisbane as we had his North record breaking game on the Gold Coast (a win) and his 400th at the Gabbatoir (another win).

As you say the Good Friday permanent fixture would allow us interstaters a game to plan around & give us exposure to non-North fans keen for some footy. Hopefully making them keener to see us when we play their team.

I did indeed. We were lucky Boomers in Brisbane as we had his North record breaking game on the Gold Coast (a win) and his 400th at the Gabbatoir (another win).

As you say the Good Friday permanent fixture would allow us interstaters a game to plan around & give us exposure to non-North fans keen for some footy. Hopefully making them keener to see us when we play their team.

Those were good games. He was looking after North people up north.

Amid some less pleasant ones on your side of the border.

22 hours in a car? Luxury.

Back in my day, we used to walk 22 hours to the game, barefoot....

barefoot??

Luxury.

In my day we had to cut our feet off and feed them to the lions just to be able keep walking without getting eaten!!!

The next drama is a Home Game on Mothers Day starting at 1pm.

If the wife..mum ..mum in law ..sister mum..etc all follow Nmfc not an issue.

But looking around at the booked out venues for Lunch on Mothers Day it excludes a lot of peeps.

1 pm...ffs
Its ******* s**t fixturing

NMFC on Mothers Day.
NMFC

Making us despise our old lady since 1998!

I have soccer on Saturday arvos, would imagine a lot of other people have things to do as well, given it's one of two days that they get off.

Not to mention a lot of people work Saturdays now. It's a 24/7 society, lot of people just watch and stream.

Add stagnant wages, rising cost of living and relatively expensive food and drink (to take the family and kids), people don't go anymore - it's a luxury. And it's not just us, I'd say league wide (bar Adelaide Oval/Perth), there would be crowd issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back