Today's society

• Thread starter The Hitman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

T

The Hitman

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about society in the year 2001. Feel free to say anything that you think is good or bad, just about being alive in these times...

Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts...

The Hitman

NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
OK I'll bite.
Maybe you can explain to why we have to have change for change sake in the name of progress.
Why does the Post Office have to become a shop and Public Transport have to make a profit? what did the people 100 years ago know that we don't that they could have these as "public services?
Why did we need an AFL? How could footy totally entertain thousands (100,000 crowds in the 20's) cheaply in local parks which gave local employment and identity to the neighborhoods which invented the game? WHy not have local caterers and a local company make the jumpers and souvenirs.

IS there more enjoyment now that the old venues are gone, more people stay at home & watch it on Tv and the players are elite full time highly paid athletes rather than ordinary guys doing extraordinary things on the weekend?
Is it more fun?

B

Briedis

Agree NYMets!

And what our local team the Sea-Eagles? They certainly aren't better off in todays football environment....

We have better medicines, technology and variety of lifestyle these days, but I am not convinced we have a higher QUALITY of life than in the past.

NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
Good one Figjam.

Briedis,Who did I see last weekend (both mornings) sitting soaking up the sun by the South Steyne Surf CLub ? The Moose!
I hadn't seen Rex there for a coupla years. Was he too depressed to come out? Now that the abortion that was the Northern Eagles is going to be Manly again is that why I start seeing Rex again? Dunno. I was waiting for my neighbours to come down the stairs there...so didn't have time to chat and I never have much to say about Rugby anyway. Between things like News Ltd and Hopoate...I'm oblivious. Was there a Manly team simultaneous with a Northern Eagles team? Sorry I lost the plot last year. I don't get what kind of sport it is where a long established team has to petition News Ltd to play!

I will tell you one thing. Our next door neighbour is 80+ and for years we used to drive her to Brookvale Oval ...she's been following the Eagles for 50 years!! Since last year she ...and most of my neighbours really.....just don't want to know.

Anywho...I've seen him there every morning this week...looking like he's up for a good debate...so get down there...I am sure you'd have more intelligent things to say than me. If nothing else you can get in on the nippers' sausage sizzle.

NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
I was just closing down and I noticed your nickname. I have to rest my eyes 'cause at a glance I thougt it read Carlton President! :confused:

But then I realized nobody would sign themselves that!;)

DEES RULE!

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2000
Half way between heaven and hell!
Other Teams
MELBOURNE DEMONS! :)
This says it all.......

The Paradox of Our Time

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, yet more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life, we've added years to life not life to years.
We've done larger things but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; big men and small character.
Remember to say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn’t cost a cent. Remember to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.
Give time to love, time to speak; give time to share the precious thoughts
in your mind.

*I think that this pretty much sums up today's society...... a society of smart people doing stupid things, where terrorists kill innocent people to prove a point, where we have advanced medicine yet we send diseases in the mail. A society where people bully, rape, murder and abuse each other, a society that has developed so much good but brought with it so much evil.

Leia

Senior List
Feb 4, 2001
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Re: This says it all.......

Originally posted by DEES RULE!
The Paradox of Our Time

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, yet more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life, we've added years to life not life to years.
We've done larger things but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; big men and small character.
Remember to say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn’t cost a cent. Remember to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.
Give time to love, time to speak; give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

DEES RULE!, I think that is a pretty accurate summation of society, and that is really sad. It upsets me to think of the truth in it, and it serves as a bit of a reality check for me really - a reminder of what is worth valuing.

It reminded me of this quote:

"Do not squander energy in the foolish pursuit of the inconsequential."

T

The Hitman

That was great Or, beautiful post and exactly what I was looking for in this thread...

The Hitman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B

Briedis

Originally posted by NYMets
Good one Figjam.

Briedis,Who did I see last weekend (both mornings) sitting soaking up the sun by the South Steyne Surf CLub ? The Moose!
I hadn't seen Rex there for a coupla years. Was he too depressed to come out? Now that the abortion that was the Northern Eagles is going to be Manly again is that why I start seeing Rex again? Dunno. I was waiting for my neighbours to come down the stairs there...so didn't have time to chat and I never have much to say about Rugby anyway. Between things like News Ltd and Hopoate...I'm oblivious. Was there a Manly team simultaneous with a Northern Eagles team? Sorry I lost the plot last year. I don't get what kind of sport it is where a long established team has to petition News Ltd to play!

I will tell you one thing. Our next door neighbour is 80+ and for years we used to drive her to Brookvale Oval ...she's been following the Eagles for 50 years!! Since last year she ...and most of my neighbours really.....just don't want to know.

Yeah. most Manly supporters have gone very cold on the Northern Eagles. 4-5 games a year at Brookvale is only going to keep the hardcore supporters, and lose a lot of people who will find other routines to get into other going to the footy. And they will continue to lose support this year as they want to continue with the two-home ground rubbish. It will take them a couple of years to get back up there, but it will happen as long as they commit to the people of Manly-Warringah.

I went down to Brookie for a few games last season and I was genuinely shocked at the drop-oof in crowds since two years ago when the club was just Manly-Warringah. It will take time to win those people back again....

Damn News Ltd, won't let us call ourselves Manly this year though.....

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
100 years ago it took 45 minutes to travel from Sydney to Parramatta by horse and cart along a narrow dusty track known as Parramatta Road

Today it takes 55 minutes by car along a multi-laned expressway

why ?

I'm not a Luddite by any means, but just exactly where is technological and material progress taking us ?

Or is it taking us anywhere at all ?

cheers

sbagman

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2000
Scumshine
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Something occured to me today, all my frustrations compressed into one phrase, that I wanted to share with people. Life in Australia.

We worry so much about enjoying out future we forget to enjoy the present.

B

Briedis

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
100 years ago it took 45 minutes to travel from Sydney to Parramatta by horse and cart along a narrow dusty track known as Parramatta Road

Today it takes 55 minutes by car along a multi-laned expressway

why ?

I'm not a Luddite by any means, but just exactly where is technological and material progress taking us ?

Or is it taking us anywhere at all ?

cheers

You should try Millirtary Rd in peak hour....the city is 8 kms for my place, but it can take a hour and a half....:mad: :rolleyes:

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Sometimes I get depressed when I see where we are headed as a society. According to the Jetsons, computers would mean we work less and less. Guess what? We work more and more.

I think the major problem facing the world is overpopulation. Nearly all problems around the world are related to there being too many people. War, Disease, Famine, Environmental Degradation-all due to over-population (at least to a certain degree).

I'm willing to offer up a problem but buggered if I know what the solution is.

On the other hand, there are a lot of great things in our society:

freedom of expression, liberty, football:) , pro wrestling:) , rock n roll:)

mustapha

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2001
Bundoora
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
The 'Paradox of Our Time' was written by George Carlin and was read out on the Andrew Denton show after the WTC tragedy occurred. I have never read anything that is so applicable to society today and what is wrong with our society. It seems that so many things that are created to improve our lives end up making life more difficult and complicated.

The Starchild

All Australian
Aug 16, 2001
Detroit Rock City
Other Teams
Carlton
Firstly Hitman you little chipmonk I wanna get something straight this is no crawl job. I must admit though, the more I delve into the alternate Bigfooty boards the more I am impressed by you.

Interesting topic but, really, quite impossible to reply to in much detail because if I started on this the thread would be 3 pages long and you'd be asleep. I'm much better at this in person.

To summarise, cheaply, the world IS overpopulated but that's not the worst thing. It's greed. And selfishness. Ignorance, racism, lack of patience, lack of understanding, and vanity. Hollywood, movies like Pretty woman give people this rosey picture of what love can be like, how perfect and feelgood the whole experience can be, how the beautiful and rich live their lives. Porsche's, polo, Zegna suits, blonde tips, bigger ti-ts, solariums, fashion magazines, people think that's what they can get and if they don't have perfect love then...well divorce is at some ridiculously high rate isn't it.

I'm not gonna go on and on with this, but I just think humans complicate life way too much, they need to keep things simple. Be content with the basic things in life, birds, trees, wind, sunshine, sounds, music. One day you'll be dead and what do you think you'll miss most of all? I'll miss colour. And the feeling of a certain someone's breathing on my cheeks when she's asleep. I love that feeling.

As a conversation once me and a few friends posed this: what would you give up first in life out of these things?

Alcohol, Music, AFL, Travelling or Women.

Firstly, I decided, I'd give up AFL. The second easiest choice, I could live without it no problem. Then would come alcohol, which would be tough as I have great times when I'm boozing it up but it would definitely be next. 3rd would come travelling, a mortal blow arghh! Second last would come music, and lastly it'd be women. Rather, a particular woman, one that you love, like a soulmate. That one was the easiest choice.

If you read them backwards I guess you'd see what my priorities are in this quintet. Music, good times, travelling, they're all way more fun than AFL in my opinion.

Too many people's priorities center around money. In many ways, Islam's view of western society rings true...it is routed with evil.

M29

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2001
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dons
Originally posted by The Starchild
Too many people's priorities center around money.

...it is routed with evil.

Too true Deej.
As for giving up things on that list:

1: Alchol: Easily, hardly drink anyway
2: Travelling: Haven't travelled much.
3: Footy: Life might be less stressfull.
1:2: Can't decide. Love both of them.

Also Deej, could a male friend/relative be considered a soul mate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back