Today's TSL Matches - April 4th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
So far in the first match in the new TSL at KGV, Launceston have gradually worn away Glenorchy to three-quarter time to take a 32-point lead into the final change in front of a good crowd, 11.5.71 to 5.9.39.
The Blues led by 13-points at quarter time (5.2.32 to 3.1.19) and by 28-points at half-time (9.3.57 to 4.5.29).

Final score: Launceston 14.7 (91) d Glenorchy 10.10 (70)

Glenorchy came back in the final quarter to get within 9-points, but a bad injury to Brian Finch, who collided with Rundle and was knocked out and taken to hospital, Tye Rundle with rib injuries, the Blues steadied after the re-start to boot two quick goals and go on to win the game.

Nice to see local football back on ABC1 too :thumbsu:

The North Launceston - Burnie Dockers game is currently underway at Aurora Stadium.

Some very bad kicking throughout this one, Derbyshire wasn't on song when it came to set shots, and Glenorchy were horrible at kicking at goal in the 2nd and 3rd and in the last was their best effort all game.

It was a good game in the end, Launceston kept threatening to blow Glenorchy away and really they should have...but bad kicking saved us a bit, and hindered us a lot.

Does the TSL have a website? Trying to find best on grounds, goals etc.
You have to register a free account at Sporting Pulse to check their detailed results, but here are the goalkickers from both games so far.

Final Scores

North Launceston 14.9.93
Burnie 10.8.68

Goals - North Launceston:
Darren Crawford 3, Jason Raynor 2, Jake nunn 2, Ryan Keep 2, Jessie Crichton 2, Kristian Higgs 1, Sean Marshalle 1, Zane Littlejohn 1: Burnie - Justin Plapp 5, Zane Murphy 2, Clinton Brown 1, Matthew Stephenson 1, Matthew Smith 1.

Final Scores
Launceston 14.6.81
Glenorchy 10.10.70

Goals - Launceston - Adam Derbyshire 3, Brian FInch 3, Seth Mccrimmon 1, Joe Robinson 1, Michael Sinclair 1, Tim Bristow 1, Will Campbell 1: Glenorchy - Jaye Bowden 3, David Hunt 2, Shane Piuselli 2, Bryce O'Garey 1, Chris Glenn 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone who saw any of the games give an indocation of what the standard was like?
I wouldn't be expecting anything too crash hotthis year or next, but hopefully it will get to something like where the better teams in the old league were.

And crowds? I think the Mercury guessed about 2000 at KG5, but under a 1000 at York Park. Apparently the weather wasn't great in Lonny today, so I would guess 500 at Youngtown?
At least this time clubs can budget for crowds of 500-700 in the case of Launceston and South, 800-1200 for most other clubs (and if the occasional 2000 or 3000 game happens, so much the better); and not get sucked in like the start ot statewide mark 1, when clubs started budgeting for 1500+ every game and found themselves in big trouble when the people dropped away.

The Round 1 games are being played next week.

The three games that were just played on the weekend (April 4 and 5) are technically from Round 1 (South Launceston v Lauderdale), Round 16 (North Launceston v Burnie) and Round 17 (Glenorchy v Launceston).

Very confusing, and it means we will have a lop-sided ladder for another 17 weeks until all teams play the same number of games that Glenorchy and Launceston have.

The Round 1 games are being played next week.

The three games that were just played on the weekend (April 4 and 5) are technically from Round 1 (South Launceston v Lauderdale), Round 16 (North Launceston v Burnie) and Round 17 (Glenorchy v Launceston).

Very confusing, and it means we will have a lop-sided ladder for another 17 weeks until all teams play the same number of games that Glenorchy and Launceston have.

Ahh, of course. The old 'play some of round 16 and 17 before round 1' trick. :confused:

Why have they done it this way?

Ahh, of course. The old 'play some of round 16 and 17 before round 1' trick. :confused:

Why have they done it this way?

Because footy in Tas is run by a bunch of .....s.

They wanted Glenorchy v Launceston in the opening games, which is fair enough. The southern and northern premiers from last year, and with the "state final" game between them abandoned its fair enough to have them play the opener this year.
Why they didn't just schedule a round one with those teams playing each other isn't clear (actually the reason is clear, it is because footy in Tas is run by a bunch of .....s).
Instead they seem to have stuck to a draft schedule released last year and moved a few games to a bogus round to get what they wanted at the start.

Can anyone who saw any of the games give an indocation of what the standard was like?
I wouldn't be expecting anything too crash hotthis year or next, but hopefully it will get to something like where the better teams in the old league were.

And crowds? I think the Mercury guessed about 2000 at KG5, but under a 1000 at York Park. Apparently the weather wasn't great in Lonny today, so I would guess 500 at Youngtown?

The game at KGV seemed to be pretty good. I have nothing to compare it to as I haven't been to a local game for ten years but I happened to be in town visiting family. I'd say Glenorchy probably would have taken quite a bit out of the game as they seemed to be the more rusty of the two. They made a lot of unforced errors and clangers. However, for a few minutes in the first and last quarters their teamwork and pace threatened to overwhelm Launceston who seemed to be a bit more conventional in their structure and style of play relying on big guys up forward and in the ruck. The flukey, blustery wind didn't help and in reality it was the second quarter where Glenorchy failed to score heavily with the breeze where it all came undone. The breeze was only worth a couple of goals but they dropped three in the second quarter. Most of the Pie supporters near us were pretty pleased with the performance and felt they'd be a threat come September once the newcomers settled in.

The Mercury estimated 2,000 but I think they were a little generous - probably more like 1500. Nevertheless it was a good turnout for a northern opponent and my brother remarked that if it had been a local derby (e.g. Clarence or North Hobart) then a crowd of nearly double as a result would have been outstanding. They conspicuously weren't counting people as they entered the ground and as most kids get in free the tickets sold would only represent a proportion of the turnout. They should have the guts to actually count people and post attendances.

Because footy in Tas is run by a bunch of .....s.

They wanted Glenorchy v Launceston in the opening games, which is fair enough. The southern and northern premiers from last year, and with the "state final" game between them abandoned its fair enough to have them play the opener this year.
Why they didn't just schedule a round one with those teams playing each other isn't clear (actually the reason is clear, it is because footy in Tas is run by a bunch of .....s).
Instead they seem to have stuck to a draft schedule released last year and moved a few games to a bogus round to get what they wanted at the start.

Pretty fair summary that.

One thing that has me a bit confused is the fixture I saw that was released stated that in those round that these games were plucked out of would have the reserves play, but the reserves have played this week, or at least in the games yesterday, I have not checked for the results for the reserves of todays game.

So why not just have a split Round 1? It would have been less confusing, and a little less annoying, since you have games from different round late in 2009 played first up in the season launch.

I remember in the Premier league a couple of seasons ago they played North Hobart and Glenorchy underlights from Round 5 or close to it at North Hobart the colts and reserves played the fixture as planned.

I have no problem with the footy that was played this week Glenorchy and Launceston was a good game, I do however find it annoying that the game they have plucked random games from different rounds late in the season for the season openers.

Pretty stupid, imo.

Having watched the ABC1 game at KGV on Saturday, I would've said the crowd was about 1,200 IMO. Solid crowd though.
Having been to KGV when there was 1,200 actually counted it looked similar, not forgetting also the crowd on the clubrooms side was hemmed in due to the old Main Stand being burnt down and the area behind the goals being cordoned off for the new one being constructed, so it was more packed than usual - ie: they used to spread around behind the goals more.
There didn't look to be very many at all at York Park - "considerably less than 1,000" according to The Mercury, would be lucky to have been 600 there which was disappointing.
As for Youngtown on Sunday, niether the Bulldogs or Lauderdale have strong followings, Youngtown has always been a poor crowd drawing ground and there didn't look many on the news footage shown last night - very few cars around the ground and not a lot of noise after goals were kicked.
Might've broken 500.. possibly... just...

Can't see why they're not counting attendances though, they need to do it to gauge improvements or failings I would've thought.

I also don't buy the "1,000 at Dodges Ferry and 3,000 at Pontville" write up in the paper in regard to the SFL matches on the weekend.
Sounds like someone from the SFL probably works for the Greens in estimating rally attendances on the side ;)
Traditionally, the SFL have ALWAYS over-inflated their crowd figures, I'll always remember their claim of 4,110 at Abbotsfield Park for the 1996 STFL Grand Final between Channel & Kingston.
Absolute rubbish, the footage on the news and the pics in the paper showed the place to be only half full, not unless Abbotsfield holds 8,000 LOL. (It wouldn't)
Then there was the claim that the Lauderdale & Hobart game in May 1999 drew over 4,000 that night.
Again - bollocks.
I was there, there would've been 2,000 maximum.

I think they need proper turnstiles at all these grounds (and actually USE THEM), both TSL and SFL....

3,000 at Pontville? Surely if they were going to lie about a crowd they would have tried to make it more believable or at least picked a game where there should have been a decent crowd...Do the Away teams still have to pay their way into the games? I got told when I went to become a waterboy for Glenorchy we had to pay to attend the away games, and tbhe money could be used around the club at a later date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back