Free Agency Todd Goldstein [Joins Essendon as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing that'd stop Goldy is the heat death of the universe at this rate. Guy just keeps chugging.

Are Scott and Dodoro seriously that desperate for a trade win that they're offering 35 year old Goldy a two year deal?

Even though they already have Draper and Bryan?

If it is true, its hard to begrudge Goldy doing what's best for himself. Even if it means a 300+ game club stalwart finishes his career in rival colours.

I just don't understand how TG helps Essendon start contending again.

Are Scott and Dodoro seriously that desperate for a trade win that they're offering 35 year old Goldy a two year deal?

Even though they already have Draper and Bryan?

If it is true, its hard to begrudge Goldy doing what's best for himself. Even if it means a 300+ game club stalwart finishes his career in rival colours.

I just don't understand how TG helps Essendon start contending again.

Depends what Goldy has been sold hasn't it?

I wouldn't rely on Draper playing every game, and Bryan playing a full season at AFL level would be a big ask for a young ruckman. If Goldstein is happy to play a supporting role playing a mix of AFL and VFL as needed, with involvement in coaching those two then I think he adds value.

Draper & Bryan are both young and seemingly talented, so learning from a player who is IMO inside the best half dozen (and most consistent) ruckmen of the last 20 years is a good thing for them. Draper especially as he struggles with the basics of the role which is where Goldstein delivered every single week.

Depends what Goldy has been sold hasn't it?

I wouldn't rely on Draper playing every game, and Bryan playing a full season at AFL level would be a big ask for a young ruckman. If Goldstein is happy to play a supporting role playing a mix of AFL and VFL as needed, with involvement in coaching those two then I think he adds value.

Draper & Bryan are both young and seemingly talented, so learning from a player who is IMO inside the best half dozen (and most consistent) ruckmen of the last 20 years is a good thing for them. Draper especially as he struggles with the basics of the role which is where Goldstein delivered every single week.
If its a playing-coaching role, I can understand the appeal.

Even though he's past his prime, he's still the best ruck we've got by some margin. To say nothing about his insane durability.

We just haven't had much luck getting him to upskill his understudies at North.

If its a playing-coaching role, I can understand the appeal.

Even though he's past his prime, he's still the best ruck we've got by some margin. To say nothing about his insane durability.

We just haven't had much luck getting him to upskill his understudies at North.

Not sure the understudies have been great though, Pruess has played under both Goldstein and Gawn and is an absolute physical unit but barely gets on the park.

Similar story for Xerri, Comben and CCJ hasn't it been? Mostly unavailable due to injury but also simply not great players.

Hard when you've had a high level, durable ruckman holding down the role for a decade I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the idea is that he's a playing coach, it makes sense.

But even with his remarkable longevity, I struggle to see him running out games when he's 38 at the end of the second year.

Even if just as a player it makes sense.

Essendon aren’t as far back in the rebuild as North are. A player of his age can add considerable value.

Essendon haven’t started their rebuild.
Sure they have. That doesn't mean it has been a success, however.

When was the last time someone 35+ got a two year contract?

Not sure why that's at all relevant. Only on BF is it more important to be young than it is to be good, and Goldstein is still good.

When was the last time a 35 year old clearly still capable of contributing at the level?

Only on BF is it more important to be young than it is to be good, and Goldstein is still good
On whether Goldy is still good: I never said he wasn't, in fact I thought my second post made that clear?

On the other stuff: Drawing that strawman will lead you to conclude that the Pies should've offered Pendles more than one year.

When was the last time a 35 year old clearly still capable of contributing at the level?
I'm not sure what this means.

Goldie's the same age as Pendles and Hawkins.

They have both contributed quite a lot this year.

On whether Goldy is still good: I never said he wasn't, in fact I thought my second post made that clear?

And I never said you did. That was clear.

On the other stuff: Drawing that strawman will lead you to conclude that the Pies should've offered Pendles more than one year.

Strawman arguments are pretty easy to pick apart. The difference between Goldstein and Pendlebury could not be more clear.

I'm not sure what this means.

Goldie's the same age as Pendles and Hawkins.

They have both contributed quite a lot this year.

Are either of them being seriously courted by other clubs?

Not sure the understudies have been great though, Pruess has played under both Goldstein and Gawn and is an absolute physical unit but barely gets on the park.

Similar story for Xerri, Comben and CCJ hasn't it been? Mostly unavailable due to injury but also simply not great players.

Hard when you've had a high level, durable ruckman holding down the role for a decade I guess.

Comben you should watch more of - the only one out of those with serious talent & not a ruck

Doesn’t matter what he’s offered, it won’t be much salary and cost nothing in terms of picks - if he wants to continue playing, he’s more than able to as a depth ruckman.

I’d prefer him in the wings in finals if I was a coach at a contending club than any of Lycett/Hayes/Visentini, Fort, Ladhams, Preuss, whatever Melbourne have once Grundy leaves (no doubt some 20 year old rake).
Only club that wouldn’t benefit that are contending are the Pies who have Frampton as a 3rd choice which is competitive enough.

Essendon could get 6-8 games out of him when Draper gets hurts, only his below average salary that would be solid enough.

He’s also better than the current Eagles back-ups, Conway @ Geelong, Meek, and with Sweet out the door would be handy at the Dogs if English goes down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back