Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
33 next year, his performance could fall off the cliff at any point now, imagine being stuck on a multi-year 800k+ contract for a 33 year old...

Although he has been exceptional this year, personally rate him better than Grundy in 2020, but at this stage you just can't ask for a 1st round pick straight swap.

Saw a few north supporters wanting top 10 picks which was interesting...

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
33 next year, his performance could fall off the cliff at any point now, imagine being stuck on a multi-year 800k+ contract for a 33 year old...

Although he has been exceptional this year, personally rate him better than Grundy in 2020, but at this stage you just can't ask for a 1st round pick straight swap.

No one is giving a top pick for Todd even with wages covered by them

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Goldy won't leave Melbourne. More likely to Cats I would think.

Geelong =/= Melbourne.

Is this speculation based on the Damian Barrett's comments this past week?

5 days ago he said:

“At the same time about this time last year, Todd Goldstein was very close to going to Geelong but decided to stay.

I’m a big believer that if the Cats fall short again, particularly in that ruck space ... I’d be staggered if the Cats didn’t pick up the phone again as they did this time last year just to see what Todd Goldstein may want to do in 2021 and beyond.”

And then this morning:

“You’ve got Todd Goldstein, who I expect also to open his mind up to the (trade) possibilities that were there this time last year before he re-signed at North."

There is no hint that he is leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These 4 Walls

Senior List
Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure on other Richmond supporters thoughts though especially with Soldo out for a year I'd give up a first and a young fringe player (or even Nank) if North Covered some salary. Nank is a warrior but probably in the third tier of ruckman. If we could get a full 2021 out of him and maasage him for the back half of 2022 it would give us the best chance of making the most of the players we have. Make hay whilst the sun shines.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
North should keep him...

They are shedding a lot of experience and are not going to be well compensated for a player of Goldys talents.
Bit weird you only get rid of Todd or Higgins if you get good draft picks or salary dump to bring in FA players, neither player will command a good pick so only leaves one sensible avenue

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Geelong =/= Melbourne.
You are correct - I should have said, he won't leave Victoria. And I'm sure he would prefer to stay in Melbourne itself, but Geelong's not too far away (unless you're restricted to a 5km bubble!).

I'm not basing my comment on anyone specific - there's multiple sources of speculation about him leaving. Sure, there's no guarantee he's leaving - this is just the usual post-season silly season of endless rumours. I'm just addressing the speculation about him going to GWS - if he leaves. I just don't think that would happen under any circumstances.

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
You are correct - I should have said, he won't leave Victoria. And I'm sure he would prefer to stay in Melbourne itself, but Geelong's not too far away (unless you're restricted to a 5km bubble!).

I'm not basing my comment on anyone specific - there's multiple sources of speculation about him leaving. Sure, there's no guarantee he's leaving - this is just the usual post-season silly season of endless rumours. I'm just addressing the speculation about him going to GWS - if he leaves. I just don't think that would happen under any circumstances.

Sorry, second half was not directed at you. It was a general comment for the thread, could have made that clearer.

Totally agree!

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geelong =/= Melbourne.

5 days ago he said:

“At the same time about this time last year, Todd Goldstein was very close to going to Geelong but decided to stay.

I’m a big believer that if the Cats fall short again, particularly in that ruck space ... I’d be staggered if the Cats didn’t pick up the phone again as they did this time last year just to see what Todd Goldstein may want to do in 2021 and beyond.”

And then this morning:

“You’ve got Todd Goldstein, who I expect also to open his mind up to the (trade) possibilities that were there this time last year before he re-signed at North."

Yeah he has been leaving North for close on 10 years now and he still is wearing the Blue and White stripes. Get sick of hearing the same thing every year.

Apparently Goldy might be on the move. GWS probably have a look at him if they think they’re in the window.

He previously wouldn't leave Vic for family reasons doubt that's changed.

I want a ferrari as well, we don't always get what we want.

That being said, footy is more complicated, what is a pick worth varies to different clubs. If GWS are forking out million dollar contracts to keep their big stars together for the next 3-4 years then the short-term and trying to get some success during this window you would imagine is a high priority.

With first round picks they picked up Ash(4), Green(10) in 2019. Caldwell(11), Hately(14), O'Halloran(22) 2018 and there is already talk of some of these leaving for more opportunity. Got Bonar(11) in 2017 and we got him almost for free last year. They got Taranto(2), Setterfield(5), Perryman(14) and Ciumming(20) in 2016. Setterfield traded to Carlton for 43 and 71 i think, was pick 5. Got Hopper (7), Kennedy(13) and Himmelberg(16) in 2015.

Despite the outflow of talent from GWS, they get access to a lot of first round pick calibre players, a number of them taken via the overly generous academy and often funded with lesser picks. I don't really think GWS is going to lose any sleep if they use a pick of value to strengthen their hand at winning a flag in the short-term. It is not always the pick that gets them good quality players, it is often their academy and these can be funded with lesser picks.

Should they do it? I wouldn't. It is a high risk, high reward type of thing. But he is contracted to us, we have no realistic alternative either so it is going to cost us something to find a replacement. We have zero incentive to even entertain a trade unless the offer is too good to refuse and whatever people think is market value for him is easy to refuse. That is the reality of it.

We also have the potential to carry part or all of his contract for the next two years, which frees up cap space to use on other players. That would require a significant premium in compensation for us to do that.

He has also shown a reluctance to move away from Melbourne due to his family so it is probably pointless even getting into a serious discussion about it.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
North should keep him...

They are shedding a lot of experience and are not going to be well compensated for a player of Goldys talents.

North are going the real harsh reset which is fair enough if they think that path is viable all the power to them but Goldstein shouldn't have to sit through that, he can still win a flag, he really should try and leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back