Todd Goldstein's trade value

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you make this thread just to gloat?

You clearly acknowledge you won't be trading him so what's the point?

Anyway, top 7 pick, top 10 at worst.

Been the second best ruckman this year but Sandi, Jamar and Jolly have all had large amounts of time on the sidelines, as has Mumford to a lesser extent and those 4 alongside Cox are considered the premier 5 ruckman. Goldstein probably now makes it a premier 6.

Exactly, Kreuz is an example of a #1 pick that actually worked. Even then it's debatable who will be the better player.

As you pointed out, you could also end up pinning your future ruck hopes on someone like Josh Fraser.
This is true, ruckman are more of a lottery IMO.

Cox, Sandi, Jamar, Jolly, Mumford, Brogan, Jacobs were all rookies. Goldy was a steal at 40 too

Bit of a wankfest here.

We all know he's an exceptional talent and he won't be traded so there is little to no point in discussing it.

Such as? I was discussing this with a mate (Richmond fan) and came to the conclusion that the only deal I'd accept for them would be a straight swap for Martin (I know ...) but even then wouldn't do it as Martin sans a good ruck would be of reduced impact.

When has Martin ever had a good ruck tapping to him?

Bit of a wankfest here.

We all know he's an exceptional talent and he won't be traded so there is little to no point in discussing it.

Yep. Especially when the OP puts his value at Dustin Martin, any realitic suggested trades will be termed as trolling.

It will be interesting to see McIntosh's value though. North must have had a fair inkling when they floated his name last (or the previous) trade period.

Yep. Especially when the OP puts his value at Dustin Martin, any realitic suggested trades will be termed as trolling.

It will be interesting to see McIntosh's value though. North must have had a fair inkling when they floated his name last (or the previous) trade period.

It was actually the one before that: 2008.

Bit of a wankfest here.

This.

Club wouldn't even entertain a trade even with a Judd-like offer, you don't trade guns voluntarily, ever. If he said he wanted to go then that is a totally different ballgame.

This.

Club wouldn't even entertain a trade even with a Judd-like offer, you don't trade guns voluntarily, ever. If he said he wanted to go then that is a totally different ballgame.
100% your club would entertain an offer of pick 3, a recently drafted pick 4 and pick 18. Especially with H as the man to come in.

However, there is a big difference between pick 3, pick 4 and pick 18 and Masten, Kennedy, Notte.

Worth bumping this in light of the GWS revelations.

Now, I'm not at all concerned about Todd going for a number of reasons.

BUT.

Say he goes at end of next year. The money GWS would be offering would be enormous.

Todd will be AA squad MINIMUM this year. Will finish top 3 in our B+F this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he won it.

He seems to be improving every month so there's no reason to assume he wouldn't do similar next year.

Taking all that into account, and his age, the compensation we'd have to be give (wouldn't though) would be immense.

If Melbourne expect two first rounders for a young bloke in Scully who has never actually done much, then a dual AA squad 24 year old ruckman with a best and fairest under his belt being offered mega bucks would have to be worth four first rounders.

Seriously.

lol 4 first rounders
and im jesus christ

Seriously, if Scully and Ward are worth two, both having achieved precisely nothing by the guidelines (though I suspect Ward will feature very highly in the Dogs B+F this year), then a bloke who is set to be All Australian and win his club's B+F MUST be worth more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, if Scully and Ward are worth two, both having achieved precisely nothing by the guidelines (though I suspect Ward will feature very highly in the Dogs B+F this year), then a bloke who is set to be All Australian and win his club's B+F MUST be worth more.
Original draft position is taken into account, which partly explains Scully being highly valued. I still don't see how he's worth two first rounders. Nor Ward.

As others have mentioned, it would be dangerous to assume the values assigned to those two are inherently fair when comparing Goldy's prospective value.

Original draft position is taken into account, which partly explains Scully being highly valued. I still don't see how he's worth two first rounders. Nor Ward.

As others have mentioned, it would be dangerous to assume the values assigned to those two are inherently fair when comparing Goldy's prospective value.

I dont think original draft position is taken into it this year. I thought it was just the players age and the gauged on the amount of money that GWS are offering them. Possibly also B&F position.

lol at 4 first rounders.

lol at 4 first rounders.

Clearly that is not going to happen but as it will stand at the end of this year, Goldy is worth significantly more to a team than either Scully or Ward.

Clearly that is not going to happen but as it will stand at the end of this year, Goldy is worth significantly more to a team than either Scully or Ward.

Achievements like AA or B&F placements means SFA in the new compo formula, its is purely age and pay packet.

Under the new system, five "bands" will be created, based on the salary package offered and the age of the player.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...star-players-20100623-yx8e.html#ixzz1VR0vXyT1

Given he is older than Ward or Scully and if happens GWS only needs to pay 600k to take him off north you will get less compensation than Scully or Ward.

Not denying he is worth more but if he goes in all likelihood he will get less compensation than you deserve since they already used a bulk of their cap on the previous uncontracted signings, I'd say they can offer goldy 600-800k at most.

Compo also maxes out at band 1, not possible to get "immense" compensation that is larger than those for Ward and Scully.

It really is a racket. Anyway, I'm very confident he'll stay so all immaterial.

This payment formula, is it based upon the overall contract, or the players last season at his previous club?

The thing is, he's very young for a ruckman but not so young for a midfielder.

would be worth 2 first rounders by the compensation formula.

By trade would definately be worth a top10 pick, has become one of the best ruckman in the AFL and is still only 22

By trade would definately be worth a top10 pick, has become one of the best ruckman in the AFL and is still only 22

Top ten pick would be the start of negotiations.

Say North were overcome by some weird virus that made you lose control of your faculties and put Goldy on the trade table.

What would his value be?

22 year old ruckman who can kick goals, has a high tackle count, good around the ground and racks up hitouts like no tomorrow.

Given the importance of a quality ruck who can go all day in the current game, his age, his achievements to date, I reckon Goldy would have phenomenal trade value.

Thoughts?

For Collingwood would do a deal of Swan for Goldstein - not that Swan would agree to a trade since contracted.
Also Didak + 1st rounder for Goldstein I'd also do.

I very much view Goldstein as being worth a top 3 selection and would willingly pay premium dollar for him.

Cox + Sandilands are probably the two best ruckman in league, but Goldstein is the next best thing and at his age with his improvement over the past 2-3 seasons looks like he will be the next premier ruckman of the league. Unless Naitanui takes over that is, which he could do soon enough.

For Collingwood would do a deal of Swan for Goldstein - not that Swan would agree to a trade since contracted.
Also Didak + 1st rounder for Goldstein I'd also do.

I'd be disappointed if the club did either of those deals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back