• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Because tennis is a big sport and whose very existence in the Olympics is always questioned, lets have the thread in our own forum. We are too big for the games section :cool:

It has been 5 years since Rio, a very delicious tournament. Who can forget Novaks tears after losing in the first round to eventual silver medalist Juan Martin Del Potro, sadly missing in Tokyo. Murray would win his 2nd singles gold medal in a row and is looking for a 3rd. You be a brave man to bet on him, but the best of 3 might suit him. In the womens, Monica Puig would in Puerto Rico first gold medal. Sadly, her career since has been full of injury and she might not even be able to return to the tour.

Its not ideal Olympics. No crowds and a bubble environment. A lot of players have decided to miss or are injured including some of the biggest names in Rafa, Fed, Serena, Kerber and Azarenka. 11 of the top 20 in the men's are missing and 5 of the top 20 are missing in the girls. Still, both Wimbledon and world number 1's are here and both are fav's with the bookies. All games(including the men's final this year :( ) are the best of 3 TB sets. doubles has a match tie break in the 3rd set. the court is a medium-paced and bounced hard court. 64 player/team draws in the singles, 32 in doubles, 16 in mixed.

For the men's, Novak is going for a very rare feat, a Golden Slam. He is over halfway there and would just need a gold medal here and in New York to become the first man to complete such an achievement. The fact he is here, despite his hate of Covid bubbles, showcases his respect to the Olympics and his love of his country. Plus, he has never won a gold medal before. This might be the hardest leg of the golden slam, with the best of 3 sets, fatigue and the best hard courters still around in Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Alexander Zverev and Andrey Rublev. For the Aussies, we lack our number 1 player in Alex de Minaur(out with Covid) and our number 1 gamer in Nick Kyrgios. Our hope is John Millman and the Duck. Unlikely to trouble round 2, let alone the medal rounds.

In the Ladies field, the draw is much stronger and sees the return of hometown hopeful Naomi Osaka. Wimbledon finalist Pliskova is 8th fav in the betting, that is how crazy strong this field still is. Barty, Osaka, Sabalenka, Swiatek, Muguruza, Kvitova. The Czech team is so strong that Karolina Muchova didn't make the cut. Osaka has been nearly unbeatable on hard courts but would like a couple of easy ones early to get in the swing of things again. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a "shock" winner. The depth is crazy. Special shout out to Kiki Bertens, who is playing her last tournament before hanging up her racquet. The Aussie team is lead by Barty and she is favourite and the world number 1. expectations will be high for a medal but it is a tough field. Ajla Tomljanovic is coming off the best result in her career. Special shout out to Sam Stosur, who is in her 5th Olympics. She got in due to her US Open win as a legacy pick by the ITF.

The doubles and mixed are always interesting. I reckon the Olympics are the best doubles/mixed comps every 4 years. Some big names have won medals here such as Federer, Nadal, Williams', and Tsonga. Barty is a fantastic doubles player and will be playing with Storm Sanders(41st in doubles). It is an outside chance but there are some very strong teams in the field. The Russians(Vesinia) and Czechs plus the reunion of Kiki/Garcia. something to keep an eye out for the next 16 days. I know nothing about men's doubles and mixed is not out yet.

The draw will be out shortly but Barty/Osaka and Medvedev/Novak will be on opposite sides of the draw.

Australias team said:
John Millman - Singles, doubles
James Duckworth - Singles
Max Purcell - Doubles (Replacement for Alex)
John Peers - Doubles* (was meant to partner Alex)
Luke Saville - Doubles
Ellen Perez - Doubles
Storm Sanders - Doubles
Samantha Stosur - Singles, doubles
Ajla Tomljanovic - Singles
Ash Barty - Singles, doubles

I hope Novak isn't putting New York at risk by playing this thing, yeah I know country and what not but jeez it already feels like he's playing too much

Meh, it's almost a month between Olympics and New York. He'll play Cincy (and probably won't try too hard) and that'll be it

Meh, it's almost a month between Olympics and New York. He'll play Cincy (and probably won't try too hard) and that'll be it

I'd rather him rest now, he's had a brutal schedule. The only thing I care is him not getting injured couldn't care less whether he wins or not although he'd like the Golden Slam I'm sure

I'd rather him rest now, he's had a brutal schedule. The only thing I care is him not getting injured couldn't care less whether he wins or not although he'd like the Golden Slam I'm sure

Meh, I think he know his body conditioning

Because tennis is a big sport and whose very existence in the Olympics is always questioned, lets have the thread in our own forum.

I don't think tennis really should be in the olympics, it is far from the pinnacle of the sport, but it surprised me to find out that tennis was actually in the first modern olympics in 1896.

I don't think tennis really should be in the olympics, it is far from the pinnacle of the sport, but it surprised me to find out that tennis was actually in the first modern olympics in 1896.
I see your point but i think it benefits both comps. Tennis gets a special event every 4 years and the IOC gets to use tennis' star power.

Can't see it ever leaving the Olympics for that reason.

I never understand why an Olympic event has to be the pinnacle of its sport. If you did that, half the events would be gone. Just doesn't make sense to me. The Olympics should and are be a sporting festival.

It can still be a big event even if it's not the pinnacle. Just ask Monica Puig.

Draw is out.

Stosur got Rybakona, so good luck there Sam.
Ashley Barty got S.S Tormo. In the same section as Pav. Could fave Bencic or Krejcikova in the quarters. Sab in the semis.
Tomljanovic got Shevdova, nice soft draw. Would have the recently married Svitolina next up. Winnable for her. Sakkari is probably next.

Osaka got a very soft draw. Would probably face Swiatek in the quarters.

men's wise. Novak has Rublev in his quarter. That would be his first test. Zverev, Karatsev, Miami winner Hurjacz in the semis.
Medvedev and Stefo are in the other half.

Millman is in his section and would face Novak in the 3rd round. Has Musetti first up which will be tough enough.
Ducky has Klein with Khachanov most likely in the 2nd round

Not the worst draws for the Aussies. Nothing to really complain about

Draws below.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see how many courts are covered with Seven's coverage.

Osaka first up tomorrow will be interesting and probably weird with no crowd.

Hopefully it's done well like the US Open was last year.

Ash's draw is brutal. Good luck to her. I seriously hope we get to see some doubles especially the Czech women they have a great chance of taking out gold. Seriously I never get anything done when there is a major tournament on except when it is on in the US due to time difference.

Thanks for the write up Bobbi of the tournament was really well done.

Tennis has provided so many wonderful moments over the last few Olympics, I feel like it gets a bad wrap from general sports fans for being part of the Olympics. Think it's well worth being in there and provides real highlights. Puig winning gold, the first for her country, Murray winning gold in London 2012, Steffi winning as part of a golden slam, Venus and Serena winning doubles, just like Federer and Wawrinka.

Back