Summer Tokyo 2021 Basketball Thread - August 7 When We Got Bronze

Will Australia win a medal in the mens and womens tournament?

• Men yes women yes

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Men yes women no

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Men no women yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Men no women no

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people love to s**t on Ben about not playing for the Boomers, but I think he 100% will play if not in Paris but certainly the following Olympics, he ain't missing a games held in LA.. And rightly or wrongly it will happen, and he'll be an asset to the team

I know people love to sh*t on Ben about not playing for the Boomers, but I think he 100% will play if not in Paris but certainly the following Olympics, he ain't missing a games held in LA.. And rightly or wrongly it will happen, and he'll be an asset to the team
He pulled out of the 2016 Rio games 3 or 4 months before the games after saying he would go. He pulled out of the 2019 FIBA World Championship 5 or 6 weeks before the event after a couple of months earlier saying he would be go. He said he would be going to Tokyo a few months ago, and then pulls out with a couple of months to go.

He's not reliable. He has form.

If he says in early 2023 or as late as May 2023 he is going to th 2023 FIBA World Championships in August spread out over 3 Asian nations, and then pulls out, unless he has a massive injury, then you can bet your bottom dollar he wont be going to Paris.

Found this last night, the full 30 minute interview Australian Story did with MJ for their Luc Longley 2 parter.

Last edited:

He pulled out of the 2016 Rio games 3 or 4 months before the games after saying he would go. He pulled out of the 2019 FIBA World Championship 5 or 6 weeks before the event after a couple of months earlier saying he would be go. He said he would be going to Tokyo a few months ago, and then pulls out with a couple of months to go.

If he says in early 2023 or as late as May 2023 he is going to th 2023 FIBA World Championships in August spread out over 3 Asian nations, and then pulls out, unless he has a massive injury, then you can bet your bottom dollar he wont be going to Paris.
Yeah I think he's an absolute lock for LA simply cos it's in LA.. Nfi about Paris, but my point was more that he'll suit up at some stage

2016 Rio Games - Was his draft year. Players heading into the draft very rarely play, especially those who are projected a top pick, you don't put your draft and contract at risk. Never thought he'd play that one.

2019 - No real excuse. Though noting all the big name US Players skipped that one, and given that Ben likes to think of himself as a big name...

US squad was as per the below, they lost in the quarters.
Capture.PNG

2021 Tokyo - think there may have been a benefit from being around the Aussie team, but understand why he didn't play given the meltdown.

Here's hoping he either sorts his game out, or gets traded to a new team and sorts his game out and is happy, and comes and plays. Our ceiling is so so much higher if he's on board.

Back