Summer Tokyo 2021 Basketball Thread - August 7 When We Got Bronze

Will Australia win a medal in the mens and womens tournament?

• Men yes women yes

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Men yes women no

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Men no women yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Men no women no

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Given all this NBL stuff, still remember basketball’s dark years in early 2000s. NBL have gone through some roller coasters that’s for sure. Full credit to many past administrators to get basketball even more popular then what it was in the 90s. The fact that it’s being expertly marketed as a future stepping stone for NBA brings even more popularity and interest, and of course money into the sport in Australia.

He's Patty ******* Mills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 years old..... 42 ****** points 9 ******** assists!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you huge props to DANTE EXUM too smooth shooting in the 4th - Houston Rockets give him more minutes..... Dante's Dad Cecil had a stellar NBL career and played college ball for North Carolina with some bloke called MICHAEL JORDAN in 1982

Ben and Kyrie how about #BOOMERPRIDE in '24?

Man am I excited seeing this group get a well deserved medal. Mills beeing so agressive knowing he needed to be outplaying Doncic. Thybulle D is just amazing. exum should have played himself into another NBA contract. After finishing 4th last two major tournamnets it's such a releif.

The emotion from Gaze and Mills was so heartwarming to watch, seeing how much it means to them.

Feel a bit for Bogut who was a huge part of this team and would have played if the olympics went ahead 12 months ago.

Well done Boomers you made Australia proud.

Anyone who has enjoyed the basketball this olympics and had fun jumping on the boomers bandwagon.... I strongly encourage you to check out the NBL this upcoming season if you don't already follow it.

-Half our Boomers team are NBL players or were in recent seasons
-Plenty of potential/future boomers are in the league.
-A lot of the imports are NBA quality these days
-The NBL next stars program has signed up a number of NBA prospects (I think 6 so far for this season?) from all over the world who have skipped college and will be drafted in a year or two.
-A number of guys in recent years have made the jump to the NBA because of the NBL
-The game is played in the Olympic FIBA style which I personally enjoy over the NBA
-Plus it's a lot of fun supporting Australian basketball and watching teams from your city and going to games

The league has improved significantly in recent years, so even if you didn't like it previously it's worth giving it another go. Everyone this Olympics has been saying the world is catching up, and the NBL is a part of that!

I've kind of dropped off the NBL (in the sense of watching a few games per year instead of weekly) after moving to Sydney from Adelaide and having kids but I've always followed the Boomers. It's a great comp though!

Going to make a real effort to get back into it, try and get to a Sixers vs Kings game too, if lockdown ever ends.

Well done to patty, brought his best in the medal game. Ingles also hit big shots down the stretch. Was great to see those two hug it out after the game, they've seen some s**t.

As for Thybulle, * me, can we all agree now Goorjian absolutely screwed the pooch starting Delly in the semi? Thybulle had 11 pts on 83% shooting, he had 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, he had a block, and his defensive play was a big factor in Doncic being restricted. He was an insane +30 for the game.

Although it might not have been enough to change the result, I still feel sick thinking about us going into the game against the US without one of our best players in the starting lineup.

Last edited:
E8MdBYVUYAACuuI.jpg
Look at the pride in Pop's eyes and the love and appreciation from Patty. Great pic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the kids of the people who were kids during the " boom " of the early 90's brought home the bacon.

Only took 20 years longer than it should've.
Steve Nash can suck my dick

Does anyone have any to the Faze interview where he teared up?

Also lots of love for Larry Kestlemen who has resurrected the NBL
Don't bother, Andrew made it too much about him.
Said Mills game was one of the great Boomer games; Jesus wept,! it was the BEST individual Boomer performance - FULL STOP

Soo happy for the boomers and everyone involved in the team throughout the years. I'm sure all of them would be emotional tonight, it's been a bloody long time coming!

So proud of the Boomers - past and present.
Special thoughts for the Gaze family who have contributed so much for so long.
I played Juniors for Melbourne Auburn- Lindsay managed the old VABA stadium, coached along with Ken Watson, wife ran the canteen and Andrew was a gawky kid who walked around the stadium bouncing a basketball constantly 😁
So happy for them👍

Yesssss boys. Patty with sheer force of will, stepped onto the court knowing there was no way he was letting us lose that game :hearteyes:

And some great contributions from Aussie Matisse as usual and Exum (dat last quarter :oops:), hell even Utah Joe finally turned up for few important buckets down the stretch. Landale and Kay just so important all tournament, covered the loss of Baynes incredibly well.

Awesome thread, just read through it all, great work everyone! I was a bit beyond actually posting last night :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Back