Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
These Games keep delivering with some amazing moments and memories that will stay with us for a long time. We’re all finding something that’s catching our eye and drawing our attention, for me personally it’s the volleyball; I’m absolutely hooked. The only ‘downside’ is that by focussing on one thing you miss so many other amazing things that are happening elsewhere!

Day 4 highlights include:

* Kookaburras up against Argentina
* Women’s 100m backstroke final (McKeown)
* Women’s 200m freestyle semis (round 2 of Titmus vs Ledecky but in different semis)
* Jessica Fox in the semis and barring a disaster the final of the kayaking. Cmon Jess!!
* Australian women open their basketball complain against Belgium.
* Women’s triathlon

And much more. I’m at home tomorrow; I already know my productivity wont be very good. Simply too much quality sport on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Volleyball, ROC vs Argentina 1st set. Some brilliant stuff already, some of the rallies…! Every time I watch this sport, regardless of who is playing, I’m glued to the TV.

I really want to devote some time to handball but it always seems to clash with the volleyball.

I must say the lack of crowds isnt having as much of an impact as I thought it would. Dont get me wrong crowds would make it alot better but even without them these games have been amazing so far.
There’s something about seeing an athlete/a team win a gold medal that is unlike anything else in sport, like 4 years of work coming together and the individual stories involved, kind of nullifies the lack of crowds.

There’s something about seeing an athlete/a team win a gold medal that is unlike anything else in sport, like 4 years of work coming together and individual stories involved, kind of nullifies the lack of crowds.
Totally agree. There is nothing like the Olympics. I still have my Olympic scrapbooks that I made when I was 8 of the Atlanta Olympics. I look back on them and laugh but from an early age I was obsessed with the Olympics and everything about them, and to this day I (obviously) still am. No idea what the ratings are like here or internationally but I hope they are strong, people say the Olympics are dying and no one wants to host them, but I think if people sat down to watch something, they’d actually get hooked. The stories, emotion, passion and skill is unrivalled.

I suppose I’ll switch the volleyball over for the Kookaburras haha.

Totally agree. There is nothing like the Olympics. I still have my Olympic scrapbooks that I made when I was 8 of the Atlanta Olympics. I look back on them and laugh but from an early age I was obsessed with the Olympics and everything about them, and to this day I (obviously) still am. No idea what the ratings are like here or internationally but I hope they are strong, people say the Olympics are dying and no one wants to host them, but I think if people sat down to watch something, they’d actually get hooked. The stories, emotion, passion and skill is unrivalled.

Like the woman from the Phillipines who just won their first ever gold medal in the weightlifting, was training in a crappy gym due to the poor government funding, and pushed through and won, just those sort of stories make the Olympics unique in itself.

There’s something about seeing an athlete/a team win a gold medal that is unlike anything else in sport, like 4 years of work coming together and the individual stories involved, kind of nullifies the lack of crowds.

Add to that in more individual sports like swimming (to a small extent) or judo, combatants coming together in embrace after the comp or on the podium. They may never see or speak to each other again but their moment will be captured for an eternity.

Friendships be made in other cases across cultures and races.

SEN are the official station. It's funny when they bring it back to AFL....

Like the woman from the Phillipines who just won their first ever gold medal in the weightlifting, was training in a crappy gym due to the poor government funding, and pushing through and won, just those sort of stories made the Olympics unique in itself.
Have you seen any official Olympic films? As far as I know they haven’t done any for the past few Olympics, last I’m aware of is Athens. Some of the stories in them are actually emotion stirring stuff, they capture the journey these athletes go on, their hard work and dedication. I normally watch them in the lead up to pump myself up even more, just didn’t have time this time. But I highly recommend them, can view them on YT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back