Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Day 5 promises to be a be an absolute beauty! Day 4 was a bit of a rollercoaster with a lot of emotion and drama, a few medals, a few disappointments, but day 5 has a lot up for grabs.

Highlights include:

* Rowing men’s and women’s fours medal race
* Rowing men’s and women’s quad skulls medal race
* Women’s 200m freestyle final, Titmus vs Ledecky part 2!
* Cycling men’s and women’s time trial, Rohan Dennis a gold medal chance
* Women’s 1500m freestyle final. Ledecky to take gold (hopefully only her first of the day)
* Men’s 4x200m freestyle final. Can the Aussies get silver?
* Jess Fox in the canoe slalom: redemption
* Boomers vs Italy
* Rugby 7’s gold medal match
* Hockeyroos vs Japan
* Kookaburras vs New Zealand
* Men’s volleyball Japan vs Italy (yeah I’m chucking it on the list!)

What. A. Day.

Hopefully the typhon doesn't affect the rowing finals.

The women's 4's went in as favourites but the men's 4's and men's quad sculls are a decent medal chances.

Simone Biles:

“Physically I feel good, I’m in shape,” she told American broadcaster NBC. “Emotionally ... that kind of varies on the time and the moment.

“Coming here to the Olympics and being the head star of the Olympics is not an easy feat so we’re just trying to take it one day at a time and we’ll see.”

Hmmmm. Interesting. Pressure got to her no doubt.

Simone Biles:

“Physically I feel good, I’m in shape,” she told American broadcaster NBC. “Emotionally ... that kind of varies on the time and the moment.

“Coming here to the Olympics and being the head star of the Olympics is not an easy feat so we’re just trying to take it one day at a time and we’ll see.”

mental illness?

Need a pick me up after yesterdays turn of events. Sad.

Simone Biles:

Definitely the pressure and build up to the Olympics got to her.

ill take that. I do enjoy looking up the schedule and seeing the australian flag next to the medal events for the day.
its probably below par tbh. afaik theyre all events we are very highly rated in if not favourites. but we've underperformed against expectation so far so im not expecting much.

Last edited:
Was annoyed I was going to miss so much of today but I conveniently had a car accident on the way to work so decided that was my work day done. Hopefully the athletes make it worth the pain of dealing with insurance companies...

Was annoyed I was going to miss so much of today but I conveniently had a car accident on the way to work so decided that was my work da y done. Hopefully the athletes make it worth the pain of dealing with insurance companies...
You did the right thing

Was annoyed I was going to miss so much of today but I conveniently had a car accident on the way to work so decided that was my work day done. Hopefully the athletes make it worth the pain of dealing with insurance companies...

Deliberately pranging your car, so you can watch the Olympics, great effort.

If taking sickies was an event, Aussies would take gold every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch 7s Nat Barr just hypothesised that the pressure on Fox was significantly great, to Foxys dad. Example being the ads/promos of Jess holding the silver and bronze, and suggesting next up be gold.
I don't think Fox was watching much of channel 7 in the last few days.

She had a bad run, its the nature of the sport. 1 off time trials are always brutal, but they make some of the most compelling tv.

i would say its 50/50 on sports stars who use mental health as a reason - definitely is used as an excuse when things go bad

would have no idea in this instance

perhaps more so these days.

Which sportspersons do you feel have used MI as an excuse?

i would say its 50/50 on sports stars who use mental health as a reason - definitely is used as an excuse when things go bad

would have no idea in this instance
noone does.

what does anyone here or campaigners like morgan know about the pressure these (or all) athletes are under. their entire careers come down to 1-2, maybe 5-6 (if theyre lucky) events. make 1 tiny mistake (like fox yesterday) and their career is a fail (if gold is the goal). anyone who thinks that kind of pressure doesnt create mental health issues is a dinosaur and/or a moron.

Claiming that failing to cope with pressure is Mental illness is just wrong.

it devalues everyone’s experience of suffering from ongoing mental health.

she just got too nervey and it brought on anxiety. That isn’t a mental illness.

Is mental illness real though?

noone does.

what does anyone here or campaigners like morgan know about the pressure these (or all) athletes are under. their entire careers come down to 1-2, maybe 5-6 (if theyre lucky) events. make 1 tiny mistake (like fox yesterday) and their career is a fail (if gold is the goal). anyone who thinks that kind of pressure doesnt create mental health issues is a dinosaur and/or a moron.
the pressure clearly brought on some anxiety.

That’s not mental illness. its just mental weakness.

perhaps more so these days.

Which sportspersons do you feel have used MI as an excuse?

AFL players who stuff up off the field and then 'need time away for mental health reasons' or depression until the coverage dies down and then they come back.

It the managers one wood whenever s**t hits the fan - same as 'celebrities'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back