Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

As we get towards the end of the games I am starting to get that feeling of impending sadness it's nearly over.

These Olympics have been one of the best in my lifetime. Blown away all expectations.

That moment after the closing ceremony, where you get the last legal IOC broadcast warning.

Hello darkness...

I cant remember us being so competitive in track and field ever....we are finally getting competitors being right up there in the mix for medals.

We too have thoroughly enjoyed these games...even watched the water polo and enjoyed it!o_O

As we get towards the end of the games I am starting to get that feeling of impending sadness it's nearly over.

These Olympics have been one of the best in my lifetime. Blown away all expectations.

was thinking that today.

With lockdown its a perfect source of entertainment.

Then it's gone.

Ch7 need to give Georgie Parker a full time gig, she was very good commentating the Hockey, and is better looking than her actress namesake. Has a sense of humour too.
A few years ago on her twitter account, her profile said something like Olympian, Hockeyroos player, something else and Gold Logie winner. :)

was thinking that today.

With lockdown its a perfect source of entertainment.

Then it's gone.

After this all I have to look forward to are Eagles games (ugh) and the F1 which won't restart for 4 weeks.

After this all I have to look forward to are Eagles games (ugh) and the F1 which won't restart for 4 weeks.
Is there a Schumaker thing on Netflix Sept 15 - yep

"">

I think there’s a bit of recency bias creeping in there. Considering the circumstances and the s**t hand they were dealt, Japan have put on an awesome games and the competitors excellent. However looking back on old games and moments with crowds, nothing compares and it adds to the athletes experience, enjoyment, emotions and obviously the atmosphere of the occasion.

the Timezone is obviously favourable to us which makes a difference as well.

I think there’s a bit of recency bias creeping in there. Considering the circumstances and the sh*t hand they were dealt, Japan have put on an awesome games and the competitors excellent. However looking back on old games and moments with crowds, nothing compares and it adds to the athletes experience, enjoyment, emotions and obviously the atmosphere of the occasion.

the Timezone is obviously favourable to us which makes a difference as well.

I always enjoy the games, but I'm a bit conflicted now.

What is going to be the legacy left over for Japan? They have had no opportunity to generate any revenue directly (OS visitors and ticket sales), or indirectly (future tourism) and are being left with a massive debt to deal with on top of COVID-19 health and financial costs.

The IOC are sweet. They'll get their broadcast rights and sponsorship payments largely unaffected, just a year later than the normal cycle. Broadcasters around the world will also recoup broadcasting costs (less than normal really because most networks will not have sent the whole crew on the normal junkets) as well as ad revenue from big ratings.

How much assistance will the IOC give Japan here? Very little I think.

They're largely ****ed. An absolute shame because these games in normal circumstances could've been the greatest for the movement and for the nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the hardest things to see is the death of a young Olympian and then find out the reasons behind it

Olivia Podmore 24 NZ Cyclist at Rio has died in London - initial reports suggest its suicide as she used social media to highlight the difficulties and pressures of competing at a high level

For those concerned about their own mental health or those around you please call Lifeline or see your doctor

Not really sure where to put this but I’m watching the Atlanta Olympics official film. The piece on Steve Redgrave is absolutely amazing. Since then I’ve been googling and YouTubing and wow, the guy is a legend. Literally spent the last hour watching videos on him. Inspiring. This is what the Olympics do to me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back