Summer Tokyo 2021 - General Discussion and Preview Thread (23rd July to 8th Aug)

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Thats why I didnt comment. Thought Id let you watch the video first. He either has an injury or had a melt down. He looked so good in the semi final.
Pretty gutted for him. From everything I’ve seen and read he’s a lovely guy, pretty down to earth and driven to succeed. After winning the 800m at the 2019 World Championships I thought he’d cruise through to the Olympics. From that race in 2019 he was so composed, timed his race perfectly and finished really strongly. Here, he really spent too much energy early in trying to keep up and he had absolutely nothing in the final stages. Can’t believe he came 8th.

I guess it goes to show how important preparation is. History and talent can go for little; comes down to who performs best on the day. Sport eh. By his own admission his form and body hadn’t been where he wanted them to be for a period of time, and it’s probably showed.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
What an absolute disgrace that this "woman" is allowed to compete as a woman. ******* utterly disgusting, if I was a female athlete I would be so ******* angry. I would genuinely boycott the games.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
My view is the same as that of the South African runner. He was never a she physically and it showed in he/her times. Unfair on legitimate women athletes imo.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
The last Olympics held in Tokyo.

Dawn Fraser banned after trying to purloin the Olympic flag from the Emperor's palace. Good one Dawn......

Last edited:
I'm going to start here.

The swimming and tracks finals are at night?

I have to organise time off at work.
Swimming finals are in the morning for US TV market as US dominate them winning 16 of 32 events the last 2 games and its the opening week of the Olympics when NBC want to hook in lots of viewers who will hang around for the whole 2 weeks. 10am Tokyo time = 9pm New York time

Athletics finals are at night time, but some are morning ie road events. Yanks only win about 12 of 47 events and athletics are on in the 2nd week so TV dont have leverage over them. 9pm to 10pm Tokyo time for the 100m, 200m and 400m finals ie ones yanks are good at is between 8am and 9am NY time so not as big an issue as a 4am finals.

Some Summary from US track and filed trials. The women and men sprinters are going to dominate more than usual.

Women's
100m Sha'cari Richardson ran 2nd fastest time of year in SF a 10.64 with +2.7 wind and won Final in 10.84
200m Gabby Thomas won in a PB and WL ie world leading time for 2021 and MR meet record of 21.61. 1st 3 ran PBs
400m Quanera Hayes won in a SB 49.78, Alison Felix got 2nd 50.02 and made got to her 5th Olympics

100m Hurdles WR holder Kendra 'Keni' Harrison ran a SB 12.47
400m Hurdles Sydney McLaughlin ran a new WR 51.90 this morning. her previous best was 52.23. Previous WR of 52.16 was run at 2019 World Champs by 2nd place Dalilah Muhammad

800m Athing Mu ran a WL, MR and PB 1.56.07. 5 of top 6 ran PBs. 3rd ran a SB
1500m Elle Purrier St. Pierre ran a PB and MR of 3.58

Long Jump won by Vashanti Cunningham, jumped a 1.96 only one to get the Olympic Qualifier (OQ)
Pole Vault Katie Nageotte vaulted a WL, PB and MR of 4.95
Hammer DeAnna Price threw a WL and PB 80.31
Heptathlon Top 3 placegetters, Kunz, Williams, and Bougard have the 3 WL scores for 2021

Men's
100m Bromell won in 9.80 but has WL time of 9.77. Baker and Kerley ran PB's are 2nd and 3rd fastest in 2021
200m Noah Lyles won in WL time of 19.74 and 2nd and 3rd were PB's.
400m Michael Norman won in a SB 44.07 and 2nd fastest in 2021. Cherry and Ross 2nd and 3rd have 4th and 1st fastest time. Will be a USA sweep unless Wade van Niekerk finds something.

110m Hurdles Grant Hollway won. Time wasn't anything special but has fastest 2 times this year
400m Hurdles Rai Benjamin ran a WL,MR,PB of 46.83 2nd only to Kevin Young's Barcelona gold medal 46.78

800m Clayton Murphy's 1.43.17 is a WL time.

High Jump JuVaughan Harrison and Sullivan both jumped 2.33, is equal 3rd best height with about 12 others
Long Jump JuVaughan Harrison jumped 8.47 a PB and 3rd best for 2021. Fair enough to do both.

Shot Put Ryan Crouser broke 31 year old WR
Decathlon Grant Scantling had a PB 8,647 pts and 2nd leading result behind Canada's Damian Warner.

They will probably win the 4 traditional relay and the new 4 x 400m mixed relay.

So another 25-30 medals for the yanks

Last edited:

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Wow Sydney McLaughlin incredible!! What a talent she is! That’s just a sensational result.

Good to see superstars like Lyles, Benjamin, Holloway and Norman post good results.

Overall pretty happy with how my favourites did, except Brazier of course, still shocked at that.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Jamaican trials have finished.

Shelley Anne Fraser Pryce won the 100/200 double. 10.71/21.79 (both legal). I'd still have her as favourite for the 100. Sherika Jackson ran 10.82/21.82 in both for 2nd and Thompson-Herath came 3rd in both 10.84/22.02. If I had to put money on it, I would slightly favour the Jamaicans in the 4x100.

In the men - disappointing. Tyquendo Tracy (nope, me neither) won the 100 in 10 flat and Rasheed Dwyer won the 200 in 20.17 (0.5w). TRacy was 3rd in the 200, and Blake was 2nd in both races but looks very heavy and laboured compared to his prime. The US look unbeatable in the relay, unless they drop the stick - so that's about 50/50:cool:. Nothing else of particular note. Results here http://www.trackandfieldjm.com/event-results/national-trials.

Another couple of Total Running Production's videos made the day before the one above on the 28th June, re Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce looking at her 100m/200m double act after her Jamaican trials success, against the American's Sha'Cari Richardson in the 100m (her 10.63 on 5th June and 10.71 on the weekend at the trials v Richardson's windy 10.64) and Gabby Thomas in the 200m (her 21.79 at the trials and Thomas ran the 2nd fastest ever time of 21.61)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamaican trials have finished.

Shelley Anne Fraser Pryce won the 100/200 double. 10.71/21.79 (both legal). I'd still have her as favourite for the 100. Sherika Jackson ran 10.82/21.82 in both for 2nd and Thompson-Herath came 3rd in both 10.84/22.02. If I had to put money on it, I would slightly favour the Jamaicans in the 4x100.

In the men - disappointing. Tyquendo Tracy (nope, me neither) won the 100 in 10 flat and Rasheed Dwyer won the 200 in 20.17 (0.5w). TRacy was 3rd in the 200, and Blake was 2nd in both races but looks very heavy and laboured compared to his prime. The US look unbeatable in the relay, unless they drop the stick - so that's about 50/50:cool:. Nothing else of particular note. Results here http://www.trackandfieldjm.com/event-results/national-trials.

New era in Jamaican team (Men’s), hardly know any of those names in their 100 final. Their sprinting talent pool was Insanely deep 6-7 years ago.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The last Olympics held in Tokyo.

Dawn Fraser banned after trying to purloin the Olympic flag from the Emperor's palace. Good one Dawn......
The birth of the legend that is Billy Mills

When I was a kid and young adult, Channel 7 showed and would regularly repeat the 13 part doco series The Olympiad that the great Olympic filmmaker and writer Bud Greenspan made between 1976-1980. Most of them were around 90 minutes long. He used his brother as the narrator who was an actor and had a different name ( as actors seem to in the USA all change their names) and a great deep voice to tell the stories.

From the 1984 games in LA onward, he became the IOC's official documentary film maker for each Olympics until 2008 producing 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hour docos and his brother continued on as narrator. Bud passed away at 84 on Christmas day 2010. He had been working on the Vancouver 2010 doco right to the end.

These docos, and in particular the Marathon one and Abebe Bikila running in Rome in 1960 with no shoes and winning and then again in 1964 Tokyo this time with shoes, fired up my young imagination about the Olympics and athletics in particular. The doco also talked about the tragedy of Bikila being involved in a car crash a few months after the Mexico games, became a paraplegic and passed away from a stroke at 41 in 1973.

I don't recall much of who was in the bolded ones, might have only seen it once or twice, but I saw the rest a few times.

Its a pity someone else hasn't taken up where Bud left off and made similar type series rather than just the IOC official documentary of each games.

The Olympiad (TV Mini Series documentary) (13 episodes)
- The Rare Ones (1980)
- The 1500 Meters (1980)
- The 800 Meters (1980)
- The East Germans (1980)
- The African Runners (1976)
- The Soviet Athlete (1976)
- The Australians (1976)
- Women Gold Medal Winners (1976)
- The Persistent Ones (1976)
- The Big Ones That Got Away (1976)

- The Incredible Five (1976)
- The Decathlon (1976)
- The Marathon (1976)

I've been looking for some of these online but can't find any but there are a few videos that have 2 or 3 minute snippets from some of them.

Bud regularly when asked about making the films said he was influenced by the marathon at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games, in which John Stephen Akhwari of Tanzania fell during the race, got a leg injury and arrived in the stadium well over an hour after the medal winners.

Bud asked Akhwari why he continued the race and he often retold Akhwari’s response. “My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race. My country sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race.” This bit is from that The Marathon episode.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
When I was a kid and young adult, Channel 7 showed and would regularly repeat the 13 part doco series The Olympiad that the great Olympic filmmaker and writer Bud Greenspan made between 1976-1980. Most of them were around 90 minutes long. He used his brother as the narrator who was an actor and had a different name ( as actors seem to in the USA all change their names) and a great deep voice to tell the stories.

From the 1984 games in LA onward, he became the IOC's official documentary film maker for each Olympics until 2008 producing 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hour docos and his brother continued on as narrator. Bud passed away at 84 on Christmas day 2010. He had been working on the Vancouver 2010 doco right to the end.

These docos, and in particular the Marathon one and Abebe Bikila running in Rome in 1960 with no shoes and winning and then again in 1964 Tokyo this time with shoes, fired up my young imagination about the Olympics and athletics in particular. The doco also talked about the tragedy of Bikila being involved in a car crash a few months after the Mexico games, became a paraplegic and passed away from a stroke at 41 in 1973.

I don't recall much of who was in the bolded ones, might have only seen it once or twice, but I saw the rest a few times.

Its a pity someone else hasn't taken up where Bud left off and made similar type series rather than just the IOC official documentary of each games.

The Olympiad (TV Mini Series documentary) (13 episodes)
- The Rare Ones (1980)
- The 1500 Meters (1980)
- The 800 Meters (1980)
- The East Germans (1980)
- The African Runners (1976)
- The Soviet Athlete (1976)
- The Australians (1976)
- Women Gold Medal Winners (1976)
- The Persistent Ones (1976)
- The Big Ones That Got Away (1976)

- The Incredible Five (1976)
- The Decathlon (1976)
- The Marathon (1976)

I've been looking for some of these online but can't find any but there are a few videos that have 2 or 3 minute snippets from some of them.

Bud regularly when asked about making the films said he was influenced by the marathon at the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games, in which John Stephen Akhwari of Tanzania fell during the race, got a leg injury and arrived in the stadium well over an hour after the medal winners.

Bud asked Akhwari why he continued the race and he often retold Akhwari’s response. “My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race. My country sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race.” This bit is from that The Marathon episode.

That voice was a staple of athletics/olympics when I was young

saw many that started with the Olympian in question walking on the beach in deep thought as Bud gave the roll call of achievements

American sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson has tested positive for cannabis and is unlikely to get the chance to challenge for the Olympic 100 metres title in Tokyo later this month.

According to one source familiar with the matter, the positive test came at the US Olympic trials last month where Richardson established herself as a gold medal contender by winning the 100m in 10.86 seconds.

How ******* dumb can you be? Honestly. Deserve to be banned for sheer stupidity.

In other news, the 400m hurdles WR got broken by Karsten Warholm last night as well.

How ******* dumb can you be? Honestly. Deserve to be banned for sheer stupidity.

In other news, the 400m hurdles WR got broken by Karsten Warholm last night as well.
s**t knew he was good, but not that good. I'm pretty sure that is the oldest male track record in the book going back to when Kevin Young won the gold at Barcelona.

Think the hammer throw or discuss WR is the oldest male WR. Think 1985. Women's 800m is oldest WR set in 1983.

Ok found the video of the race.

Last edited:
Back