Summer Tokyo 2021 - Swimming

Remove this Banner Ad

RussellEbertHandball what are the finals for tomorrow and your prediction for medals for Australians?

Thanks for posting those articles, an interesting read - after Day 4 in Rio, US was at 7 and Australia 2 golds respectively, now it's 4 each. Is it the US being down from their previous dominance, or other nations picking up? Or just luck in terms of individuals like Ohashi, Milak, Peaty etc from outside the Aus/US rivalry picking up golds?

In a perfect world Australia wins 4 out of 5 events tomorrow. But the world ain't perfect

Before the Olympics I thought SwimSwam prediction of
Gold Gregorio Paltrinieri, ITA Silver Mykhailo Romanchuk, UKR Bronze Jack McLoughlin, AUS
was right but I reckon German Florian Wellbrock and Ukrainian Romanchuk will battle for the gold and Bronze is up for grabs.

200m Breastroke the Stubble is looking like a winner to me. Stubblety-Cook has looked the best and came in with the best time for 2021. The Dutch Amo Kamminga will just go out fast and Izaac will have to just chase him down

10:30Tokyo Aquatics Centre
medal-1.png

Men's 800m Freestyle Final
10:44Tokyo Aquatics Centre
medal-1.png

Men's 200m Breaststroke Final

Women's 200m Butterfly is China v USA. Zhang vs Hali Flickinger and Regan Smith. Throssell will do well to finish 5th.

100m is a race in 3 and I reckon a 46.9x a maybe even a 46.8x and a new WR will need to be swum to win it. Dressel looks good and he hasn't extended himself yet, that comes starting after this swim and is the favourite. If Kyle is within 0.15 at the turn he will mow them down and win, but Russian Kilment Kolesnikov could do a Chalmers in Rio and shock everyone. The other Russian Vladimir Morozov was supposed to be a medal chance, but didn't even make it to the final.

This is Kolesnikov profile from the Olympic site
Qualified 1st from SF. Gold at 2021 European Ch. Finished 2nd at Guangzhou during 2019 Champions Swim Series. In other events - silver in 100m back at 2020 OG, 7th in 4x100m free relay. Silver in 4x100m free relay at 2019 WCh. Gold in 4x100 free relay at 2021 European Ch. Has been walking to races in the same footwear since 2014. Wears a pink cap so his grandmother can see him in the water.
11:28Tokyo Aquatics Centre
medal-1.png

Women's 200m Butterfly Final
11:37Tokyo Aquatics Centre
medal-1.png

Men's 100m Freestyle Final

Australia to beat USA, Canada and China but let's see how the heats goes tonight for what the order might be.

12:31Tokyo Aquatics Centre
medal-1.png

Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

Thanks for posting those articles, an interesting read - after Day 4 in Rio, US was at 7 and Australia 2 golds respectively, now it's 4 each. Is it the US being down from their previous dominance, or other nations picking up? Or just luck in terms of individuals like Ohashi, Milak, Peaty etc from outside the Aus/US rivalry picking up golds?
Other nations have picked up but so has Oz and without Phelps and Ryan Lochte the US men aren't as strong. Ledecky not winning back to back 200/400 has dented their gold count.

GBR will have their best Olympics in the pool since the 1908 London Olympics when they won 4 golds. There was plenty of spread in Rio, but I can't remember the timing as there has been a bit of a schedule change. Hungary won 3 golds Hosszu did the IM double and Japan, China, Canada GBR, Italy, Singapore, Denmark and Spain all won a gold medal.

Last edited:
I understand why they do it, but how annoyed would you be if you were the next highest qualifier from your country and the swimmer who had your spot decided to pull out of the event at the last minute.

I understand why they do it, but how annoyed would you be if you were the next highest qualifier from your country and the swimmer who had your spot decided to pull out of the event at the last minute.
Or if you had to give up your spot because the guy who just happened to be a world record holder in the event was disqualified for falling off the blocks

Thorpey has been dull to listen to during the race and Jones has been too much like a nice 15 year old.

When they need to explain the technical stuff, Jones is good, but Thorpe is very good. It's almost like strategy and technical analysis is his thing, and that's what he wants to talk about, but either he gets bored or its just his personality that he comes across as very dull during a race, with the two Titmus v Ledecky races being the exception.

I finally caught some Basil and Thorpe commentary when I watched the replays of a few medal events this arvo.

Why do you guys put yourselves through it? They're so inferior to the online commentators it's not funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thorpey has been dull to listen to during the race and Jones has been too much like a nice 15 year old.

When they need to explain the technical stuff, Jones is good, but Thorpe is very good. It's almost like strategy and technical analysis is his thing, and that's what he wants to talk about, but either he gets bored or its just his personality that he comes across as very dull during a race, with the two Titmus v Ledecky races being the exception.
Ive found Thorpe's tactical race analysis fascinating . Really knows his stuff .
Its a shame the rest of the commentary package is about a 2/10 with him .

Its almost like he needs a few red bulls 5 minutes before airtime .

I finally caught some Basil and Thorpe commentary when I watched the replays of a few medal events this arvo.

Why do you guys put yourselves through it? They're so inferior to the online commentators it's not funny.
Don't have it on the main TV but have been watching it on the tablet in my room.

Ive found Thorpe's tactical race analysis fascinating . Really knows his stuff .
Its a shame the rest of the commentary package is about a 2/10 with him .

Its almost like he needs a few red bulls 5 minutes before airtime .
Like in the 200 free with Arnie

Thorpe rattled off

She's 0.5 seconds in front, yes 1/2 a second in front.

90% of his commentary is boring as fxxk

Livingstone is the swimming commentary god

RussellEbertHandball
Tom Dean's poor 1st leg in the 4x200.
He's had Covid twice and in January couldn't walk up stairs.
I remember reading one of the British swimmers had Covid but totally forgot who it was. Fair effort to win the 200m Free and his poor start in the relay didn't cause that much damage. Thanks for letting me know it was Tom and I don't think in the article I read said it was a severe case.

Might become a poster boy for the NHS and Boris will probably use him as an example of the fighting British spirit.

The commentary on the 7Plus swimming channel is different to when its on main 7. Not sure who they are.
Woman is AFLW CEO and 2 time Olympian backstroker Nicole Livingstone, and someone said the British bloke is Adrian Moorehouse who won 100m breaststroke in 1988 and a few commonwealth titles. Someone said he was going bunta calling Peaty's swims and then someone else said it was Moorehouse, which all made sense. It's the Olympic Broadcast Service to English speaking countries.

Bruce and Nicole did it in 2012 when 9/Foxtel had the rights for London.

ended up 17th so no semi finals for her unfortunately.
Should just keep her on as Titmus’ stable pony

The commentary on the 7Plus swimming channel is different to when its on main 7. Not sure who they are.
Nicole Livingston is great, choose to watch that coverage over the Basil show for the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back