Summer Tokyo 2021 - Swimming

Remove this Banner Ad

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Favourites dont nessessary mean Gold medals,but the events where Australia would be considered favourites would be,
Mens 400m Free
Womens 50m Free
Womens 100m Free
Womens 200m Free
Womens 400m Free
Womens 100 Back
Womens 200 Back
Womens 200m IM
Womens 4 x 100m Free
Womens 4 x 200m Free

Gold medal hopes(not necessarily favourite)
Mens 100m Free
Mens 200m Breastroke
Womens 100m Fly
Womens 4 x 100m Medley

Minor medal contenders
Mens 800m Free
Mens 1500m Free
Mens 100m Fly
Mens 100m Back
Mens 200m IM
Mens 4 x 100m Free
Mens 4 x 200m Free
Mens 4 x 100m Medley
Womens 800m Free
Womens 1500m Free

Potentially our best swim squad since 2004

Hopefully they handle the pressure

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
So many races to look forward to,
Dressel vs Chalmers
Titmus vs Ledecky
Titmus vs the 200m free WR
Cate Campbell vs Olympic jitters
McKeon vs Kromowijyoyo
McKeown vs Regan Smith
The womens relays

but
Titmus vs Ledecky in the 400m free
That the one Im waiting for
I reckon Australia has a real shot at gold in the mens 4 x 200m free relay 4 of our 6 have top ten times in the world this year.

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not exactly 4 in the top 10,but ranked 7-12
While Australia are the current World Champs in this event,the favourites will be the Poms
They have the top 2 200m Freestylers,both in 1.44 range
All Australian swimmers are currently in 1.45
Someone needs to step up as we need another second to make up the difference.
Also,the Russians are around the same time as us.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Not exactly 4 in the top 10,but ranked 7-12
While Australia are the current World Champs in this event,the favourites will be the Poms
They have the top 2 200m Freestylers,both in 1.44 range
All Australian swimmers are currently in 1.45
Someone needs to step up as we need another second to make up the difference.
Also,the Russians are around the same time as us.
True, I just think that there is further improvement in all 4 swimmers and Australia will be close to WR time. There is just something about Australian swimmers and relays going beyond expectation since Sydney 2000

I don’t believe that the Russians are able to compete as a team in the relays. Individual athletes can enter the olympics, but Russia has been banned until afetr the 2022 Olympic Games.

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree with you on Australia,especially Thomas Neill and Elijah Winnington
They are both young and could easy continue their natural progression well intothe 1.44s
Australia could win,but based on current times,they just miss out being favourites.
As for the Russians,they will compete under the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee) banner and are allowed to swim as a team.
Technically,they are not representing the country of Russia,but they can compete in the relays.

Last edited:

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
One event where we dont stand a chance is the WOMENS 400m IM
We will not send a competitor due to our lack of qualifying time.
The crazy thing is that the no1 ranked swimmer in the World in this event ,is Kaylee McKeown.
She elected not to swim it at trials due to her heavy program.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just feel we have been here before. We have consistently gone into the Olympics with a bunch of swimmers ranked #1 for their events only to see the Yanks in particular swim out of their skin and leave us battling it out for the minor medals. I see we finally decided to make our swimmers qualify a month or so before the Olympics this time. Hopefully that has an effect. I'd just love to see our swimmers peaking at the Olympics for once. Swimming PB's or at least within a whisker of them. If they do that the Gold will flow.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One event where we dont stand a chance is the WOMENS 400m IM
We will not send a competitor due to our lack of qualifying time.
The crazy thing is that the no1 ranked swimmer in the World in this event ,is Kaylee McKeown.
She elected not to swim it at trials due to her heavy program.
Wow has that happened before? Seems crazy but understandable at the same time.

Vo Rogue

Debutant
Aug 4, 2008
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Carlton
I just feel we have been here before. We have consistently gone into the Olympics with a bunch of swimmers ranked #1 for their events only to see the Yanks in particular swim out of their skin and leave us battling it out for the minor medals. I see we finally decided to make our swimmers qualify a month or so before the Olympics this time. Hopefully that has an effect. I'd just love to see our swimmers peaking at the Olympics for once. Swimming PB's or at least within a whisker of them. If they do that the Gold will flow.

We have held back qualifying this year, normally its in February. Hopefully this allows our form to not taper off like it normally does compared to the USA.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Always look forward to watching our swimmers take on the world. No bigger stage than the Olympics.

Australian Dolphins Olympic Swimming Team:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mens 400m Free
Womens 50m Free
Womens 100m Free
Womens 200m Free
Womens 400m Free
Womens 100 Back
Womens 200 Back
Womens 200m IM
Womens 4 x 100m Free
Womens 4 x 200m Free

Been a good while since we went into a Games with that many favorites I suspect. This is a super strong Dolphins team. As you say dantm.. they need to hold their nerve and take the enormous pressure out of the equation.
Be interesting to see what a crowd-free venue will have on performance.

Last edited:

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Mens 400m Free
Womens 50m Free
Womens 100m Free
Womens 200m Free
Womens 400m Free
Womens 100 Back
Womens 200 Back
Womens 200m IM
Womens 4 x 100m Free
Womens 4 x 200m Free

Been a good while since we went into a Games with that many favorites I suspect. This is a super strong Dolphins team. As you say dantm.. they need to hold their nerve and take the enormous pressure out of the equation.
Be interesting to what a crowd-free venue will have on performance.

There are numerous differences.
Firstly,the timing for Trials.
Previous Olympics the swimmers needed to taper twice due to the early trials
This year(same as USA),they just need to hold their taper from trials
Huge difference and hopefully reflects the current form they are in.
We have already trialled this at the 2019 World Champs and was clearly a success.

The crowd free venue may also reduce the nerves (AKA Cate) BUT some swimmers may need the crowd to motivate themselves.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

And I agree,
We didnt have this many contenders in 2016 and 2012.
although the 2008 squad was very strong

Eamon Sullivan (50m and 100m WR holder)
Grant Hackett (400m and 1500m Free)
Libby Trickett (50m and 100m Free WR Holder,plus No1 ranked 100m Fly)
Jess Shipper (200m Fly)
Leisel Jones (100m and 200m breastroke WR Holder)
Stephanie Rice (200 and 400m IM WR Holder)

Around 10-12 leading times entering the Beijing 2008 and resulted in only 6 Gold.
There is no doubt, more depth in this current 2021 team and thats reflected especially within the relays squads.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kaylee McKeown.
Another Stephanie Rice.. or better in your opinion. Just turned 20 so a likely two even three more games. The sky is the limit for this girl.

dantm said:

Cant allow that. What are their times compared to ours precisely.

America has had swimming freaks Phelps then Ledecky. Australia had 'our Dawn' and 'Torpedo' Ian Thorpe. Thirty years earlier we had one of swimming's greatest ever freaks. At her solitary 1972 Olympics Sydney teenager Shane Gould lit up the pool like few before or since with a brace of gold and silver medal swims. She held every freestyle world record from 100 to 1500m at same time if memory serves. Shane was only 17 when she shocked our nation by suddenly retiring. Was the enormous pressure of expectation too much for the human fish.
View attachment 1157778

Last edited:

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have held back qualifying this year, normally its in February. Hopefully this allows our form to not taper off like it normally does compared to the USA.

I think the Yanks also have a mental advantage because many of them would go through high school and college, with regular intense swim meets. Last few Olympics I also clearly remember them gaining significant ground on turns. Pools for high school and college are mostly 25 yards and they'd spend a lot of time on turns. Have a look at the men's 50 from the NCAA champs. It's kinda laughable cause the winner swam more than half the race underwater. I imagine when they are older they spend more time in longer pools, but the muscle memory and technique from turns would remain.

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Another Stephanie Rice.. or better in your opinion.

Cant allow that. What are their times compared to ours precisely.

America has had swimming freaks Phelps then Ledecky. Australia had 'our Dawn' and 'Torpedo' Ian Thorpe. Thirty years earlier we had one of swimming's greatest ever freaks. At her solitary 1972 Olympics Sydney teenager Shane Gould lit up the pool like few before or since with a brace of gold and silver medal swims. She held every freestyle world record from 100 to 1500m at same time if memory serves. Shane was only 17 when she shocked our nation by suddenly retiring. Was the enormous pressure of expectation too much for the human fish.
View attachment 1157778

Stephanie Rice was incredible.
WR Holder and back that up with style with 2 Olympic Gold medals
She also ensured our 4 x200m Free relay also brought home the gold

For the mens 4x200m relay
GREAT BRITAIN
SwimmerSplit
Duncan Scott1:44.47
Tom Dean1:44.58
Matt Richards1:45.77
James Guy1:46.04
TOTAL:7:00.86

AUSTRALIA
SwimmerSplit
Kyle Chalmers1:45.48
Elijah Winnington1:45.55
Alexander Graham1:45.22
Thomas Neill1:45.70
TOTAL:7:01.95

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the Yanks also have a mental advantage because many of them would go through high school and college, with regular intense swim meets. Last few Olympics I also clearly remember them gaining significant ground on turns. Pools for high school and college are mostly 25 yards and they'd spend a lot of time on turns. Have a look at the men's 50 from the NCAA champs. It's kinda laughable cause the winner swam more than half the race underwater. I imagine when they are older they spend more time in longer pools, but the muscle memory and technique from turns would remain.
The Yanks are known for their skills
As you mentioned,they race and race at NCAAs and do this continually in SC yardage pools
Look at Dressell,
He is brilliant in starts,underwater,turns and finishing.
Probably the best ever seen.
But Chalmers is actually faster at “swimming “
,especially in the 100m free.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Six Polish swimmers have been sent home from the Tokyo Olympics due to a heartbreaking administrative bungle by the Polish Swimming Federation. It sent too many swimmers due to a misunderstanding of Fina qualifying standards. The swimmers sent home are now threatening legal action and calling for the head of the federation to resign over the incident.

What a boo boo:oops:

Six Polish swimmers have been sent home from the Tokyo Olympics due to a heartbreaking administrative bungle by the Polish Swimming Federation. It sent too many swimmers due to a misunderstanding of Fina qualifying standards. The swimmers sent home are now threatening legal action and calling for the head of the federation to resign over the incident.

What a boo boo:oops:
what a f**k up

Can one of the Campbell sisters win an individual gold?
Cate is the only one who has an individual swims 50 and 100m Free. Bronte has the 4x100m relay. I don't think Cate can handle the pressure to win in either event but she has proved to be a great relay swimmer.

McKeown pulled out of the 200IM to concentrate on her Backstroke events + Relay ☹️

Super looking forward to Titmus vs Ledecky

American chick went all Gary Hall Jr and said America would do the sweep of all the women’s golds in the pool 🤨

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
McKeown pulled out of the 200IM to concentrate on her Backstroke events + Relay
:(Agree.. hot favorite for this event to.. but her pet backstroke events take precedence as she is a Games rookie and may not handle the pace of an Olympic race schedule says her coach. Well, I say phooey to that. Kaylie is 20.. remember 15 year old swimming baby Shane Gould in '72.. she handled the race schedule pressure fine.. Yet again Gould was a freak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back