Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track Cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

The official site says GBR are in the 7v8 ride off in the Team's Pursuit so I assume that means a final decision has been made, Dane's are effectively given a time and are in the gold medal race against Italy.

Oz v NZ battle for bronze.

Tonight has the qualifying and 1/4 finals for the Men's Sprint ( the cat and mouse then sprint like bugger event) with final on Friday and the qualifying rounds of the women's Keirin ( the Derny bike paces them around building up speed). The Keirin was invented in Japan post WWII mainly for gambling purposes. I'm pretty sure the commentators said the velodrome is in the heart of the area where this event was invented.

Anna Meares made a comment last night that shows how dangerous and in a bizarre way, how exciting these crashes are.

She said she was struggling to watch some of the events, because of the crashes and near crashes, and said she'd rather be riding than watching. This is from a women who broke a couple of vertebrates in her neck in 2008 on the track and was 10mm away from being a quadriplegic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dutch are just beasts at Track Cycling.

So much speed on show here as they zoom around well over 70klmph . 😱

Not to mention you will get fu** all change from 80k for one of the bikes most of the field are riding on. That is just madness.

Not that I have any idea, but I would have thought a better tactic for these slower sprinters would be to just take off as early as possible and hope to get a break and hold on. Trying to play cat and mouse looks completely futile, I don't know why they bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back