Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

My knowledge of the athletes who compete in the decathlon is zero.

For those more well versed, is Moloney a chance to stay top 3 by the end of tomorrow? How strong is he on the second day of events?
He's not as good in day 2 events as day 1, but a couple of the higher rated guys are struggling, a few injuries.

Love the 20 metre finals at the Olympics.

Let’s go.
200m is even better to watch at 10 times the distance. Ha ha

Great run and great time. Into a headwind too.

Good to see the Americans get done again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 more PBs to the medal winners (and 2 others) and only Bolt, Johnson and Blake have run faster in an Olympic 200m final. 4th at 17 for Knighton. He will be running in Brisbane. 5 guys under 20 for a final. Another first.

1628082215071.png

I still think Lyles ****ed himself in the semi. Would’ve been stressing for a bit about making the final eliminating any perceived benefit from under exertion, and ended up with an inside lane draw due to the q. Getting the Q and drawing lane 4,5,6,7 is so important in a 200.

Well done De Grasse. He looked strong in the semi and carried it to the end of the final

The American commentators just then were effusive in their praise for the Australian track and field contingent after commenting on Moloney's commanding 400m win to leave him 2nd overall. Plenty of 4th, 5th and 6th places and finalists in events where we're traditionally absent.

I agree. No medals, but competitive across many disciplines. I hope with Brisbane getting 2032 that we pump some more money into athletics and give ourselves a real shot at gold medals over coming Olympics. We have the talent - can we develop them?
Gold is seriously difficult on the track. Most competitive global sport with the possible exception of soccer. We don't really have any natural advantages in it either. Would love to see some more gold on the track/field but it's not going to be easy. A lot will rely on freakish talents coming along too.

Best chances for Australians are likely in the field, hurdles events or middle distance.

Gold is seriously difficult on the track. Most competitive global sport with the possible exception of soccer. We don't really have any natural advantages in it either. Would love to see some more gold on the track/field but it's not going to be easy. A lot will rely on freakish talents coming along too.

I was thinking when our last male track medallist was. If you exclude the walk (Tallent got a gold there a few years back), it might possibly stretch to half a century ago maybe? RussellEbertHandball can help there.

Bol might be the talent, but he's already 27 I think. Is there a prospect? Either way if we keep throwing money at it surely we can amp up the medal count as we build towards Brisbane.

In the excitement of the 200m it was interesting to hear from David Culbert say that the great Daley Thompson - won the decathlon in 1980+84 and was in front in 1988 but picked up an injury after 7th or 8th event and finished 4th and the 1996 gold medalist Dan O'Brien say that Ash Moloney is the man to watch as the future star of the decathlon. Like Bruce, if Daley says it, then it's good enough for me.

Moloney's PBs all look pretty good already apart from the throwing and 1500m. You'd like to think he can improve fitness for the last event. And learning how to throw a javelin and discus further is very achievable. Lots of distance could be made just with technique.

Just said he has patella tendonitis in both knees. Really hope he can manage that going forward. Doesn't sound great.

Moloney's PBs all look pretty good already apart from the throwing and 1500m. You'd like to think he can improve fitness for the last event. And learning how to throw a javelin and discus further is very achievable. Lots of distance could be made just with technique.

Just said he has patella tendonitis in both knees. Really hope he can manage that going forward. Doesn't sound great.
Said he had to swap high jump sides halfway through because of his knee, then ended up hurting the other one!

Patella tendinitis in both knees and he ran like that in the 400! These decathlon athletes are absolute animals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back