Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a Diamond League meet in Stockholm overnight. Whilst qualification period ended on 29th June, athletes are having some hit outs before the games and their is money to be won and some arthletes are actually top 10 in the world but 4th and 5th best for their nation so aren't going to Tokyo.

Monaco DL meet is on the 9th and last major meet before the Olympics is the DL meet at Gateshead in Newcastle in England on 13th.

The 2 Aussie high jumpers had a good result in Stockholm. Nicola McDermott will be pushing for a gold medal and Eleanor Pattison will be pushing for bronze. Jump 2m and you are guaranteed a medal in my opinion.

See all Stockholm results at

1625551352105.png

Best jump by athlete below - Patterson matched her jump from 2 weeks ago in Poland

Mcdermott has been in great form this year jumped the following
3rd.. 2.01 last night
=4th 2.00 18th April at Nationals in Sydney
=8th 1.98 18th June in Townsville
=13th 1.96 25th February at an AIS meet in Canberra

1625551999165.png

Look forward to watching this when it comes to one of the online streaming services in Oz.

Alberto Juantorena was one of my earliest athletics hero. The first and only man to win 400m/800m double at the Montreal Olympics and had to deal with all the Cuba v USA/ the west issues.

His 800m win lead to one of the classic piece of commentary by famed BBC sports commentator David Coleman who became famous for stuff ups in commentary dubbed the Colemanball said the following as Juantorena burned off his 3 competitors at about the

'The big Cuban opened his legs and showed his class'

Juantorena was nicknamed 'El Caballo' the horse, for his muscular appearance and nine-foot stride. He only ran the 400m in Moscow and finished 4th.

Namibian runners Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi have been banned from all races from the 400-meter to 1,600-meter range at the Tokyo Olympics due to "a natural high testosterone level," per the country's National Olympic Committee.

Mboma and Masilingi are two of the fastest 400-meter runners in the world. Mboma set the world's U-20 record for the 400-meter in June, while Masilingi ranked third in the world in 2021 behind Mboma and Olympic champion Shaunae Miller-Uibo of the Bahamas. But neither will be able to compete in the 400-meter for Namibia in Tokyo.

“According to the rules of World Athletics, this means that they are not eligible to participate in events from 400-meter to 1600-meter,” the Namibia National Olympic Committee said in a statement. “It is important to understand that both our athletes were not aware of this condition neither did any family member, their coach or the NNOC-CGA [Namibia Olympic Committee] were aware of it.

"Both Christine and Beatrice will be able to compete in the 100-meter and 200-meter events.”

A 2019 rule passed by the governing body World Athletics "caps athlete testosterone levels in women’s events from the 400m through the mile," per NBC Sports.

The Australian Olympic Committee has announced the final team selection for the Australian Olympic Team for Tokyo, with 36 track and field athletes joining the 27 previously announced athletes to complete the 63-strong Athletics squad.

Only Sydney 2000 (87) and Melbourne 1956 (75) have had bigger Australian Olympic Athletics teams.

The 36 athletes announced today includes Jeff Riseley making his fourth Olympics, Kathryn Mitchell, Dave McNeill and Henry Frayne returning for their third Games, 10 athletes returning for their second Games and 22 Olympic debutants. Full squad list of 63 Athletics representatives below

Riseley joins previously selected Tokyo 2020 teammates Dani Stevens and Lisa Weightman in equalling the most Olympics by Australian Athletics representatives, with seven other athletes including marathon legends Robert de Castella and Lisa Ondieki.

Today’s announcement takes the number of athletes selected to the Australian Olympic Team for Tokyo to 473. A final team announcement and media conference will be held on Monday 5 July, with full details to come tomorrow.

Newly selected members of the Australian Olympic Athletics Team for Tokyo:

1625726439259.png

Previously selected athletes for the Australian Olympic Athletics Team for Tokyo:
1625726466048.png

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
McSweyn last night new AUS and oceania record , beating his previous record
Timothy now puts pressure on the kenyan selectors
Mohamed Katir WOW ...5 seconds off his best for a new NR
not bad from Jakob back from 3 week lay off for throat infect (know as carona these days)

Riseley joins previously selected Tokyo 2020 teammates Dani Stevens and Lisa Weightman in equalling the most Olympics by Australian Athletics
Lisa is part of Preston Athletics club, three time Olympic marathon runner now and goes in some events for the club in Div 3 to help the team in the comp.
She’s a ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wonder what happened to Riseley?
He finally ran his qualifying time on 20th June in Poland after getting pretty close 2 or 3 times the previous few weeks Maybe he just switched off for this run.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He finally ran his qualifying time on 20th June in Poland after getting pretty close 2 or 3 times the previous few weeks Maybe he just switched off for this run.
1.50 is a poor turn out on the eve of the oly's
He'll have to run 1.45 +/- a little, just to get out of the rounds

For the last decade or so, World Athletics (formerly IAAF) have made their Statistics Handbook free to download from their website before either an Olympics or a World Championship.

I tried to attach it to this post but at 935 pages and 12 Megabytes its too big so you can download from this link at the end of the opening sentence of the first link I have put below. For some reason they have doubled up the 468 page document. They might correct it and cut it in half.

You get all the info you want re Olympics by individual, nation, event, individual olympic and a combo of this as well as separated by male and female and other stuff like world records.

The Statistics Handbook for the World Champs is about 850 pages as they have all the data re world champs heats, semis and finals, as well as all the other major athletic events like world indoor championships, world cross country, world marathon, U/18 and U/20 world champs etc, the all time list of top 40 times/distances/heights + illegal times due to wind + illegal due to doping for every event, every national record for every event, progression of world records, top 3 performances every year since the mid 1960's etc etc.

Plus World Athletics Tokyo Olympics home page

Ok they fixed up the Tokyo Statistics Handbook and is 468 page version not the double version of Sunday.

Attachments

• Tokyo-2020-olympic-games-statistics-handbook.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 105
Thanks Russ. Appreciate that. It’ll be interesting to see how Mcsweyn goes. From King Island of all places.
The 1,500m isn't just a race of time/speed but also tactics. We have seen Mcsweyn has enough speed, but he has to get his tactics right first in the heats and then on the final day. I think he can be top 5 and even medal.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 1,500m isn't just a race of time/speed but also tactics. We have seen Mcsweyn has enough speed, but he has to get his tactics right first in the heats and then on the final day. I think he can be top 5 and even medal.
Along with the 10k and 4x400 relay, it’s my favourite event on the program. I agree, I think he’ll be right up there.

Along with the 10k and 4x400 relay, it’s my favourite event on the program. I agree, I think he’ll be right up there.
I love the 100m both men and women, but when I was young I ran 800m/1,500m at school then a couple of years after that, so I love tactics of the 1,500m combined with that mad acceleration of the final 200m.

The relays are good value. There is always drama, dropped battens, stuffs up, DQ's, surprises etc, more so in the 4x100 but still enough in the 4x400,

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I still compete in the summer season comp, even though I’m old enough to know better. On occasions Liam Adams comes down too. I used to be a team manager for the Victorian team, so I know some of the older ones personally. Adds an extra dimension to the interest. Anyway, happy running mate!

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
McSweyn needs to lead from the front at breakneck or take it out 1000m onwards hard. If he runs around his PB, he will medal. If it's run like Rio, he won't.
Ingebrigtsen knows this as well, as would centro
If its Rio like, I wouldn't be surprised if Hocker kicks home causing an upset

edit Cheruiyot is also in , this changes everything. It will be very fast - 2004athens fast

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I love the 100m both men and women, but when I was young I ran 800m/1,500m at school then a couple of years after that, so I love tactics of the 1,500m combined with that mad acceleration of the final 200m.

The relays are good value. There is always drama, dropped battens, stuffs up, DQ's, surprises etc, more so in the 4x100 but still enough in the 4x400,
same, what year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back